Nibbana and sukha

I think very similar. Dukkha is the point of explanation because we live in a ping-pong dukkha/sukha without end. Although sukha is very needed or no progress is possible. Like a fuel which is burnt constantly and we need it to arrive the destiny. We should fill the tank everyday even with the more minuscule things.

2 Likes

ā€œThere are, mendicants, these two kinds of happiness.
ā€œDvemāni, bhikkhave, sukhāni.
What two?
Katamāni dve?
The happiness of pleasure and the happiness of equanimity.
SātasukhaƱca upekkhāsukhaƱca.
These are the two kinds of happiness.
Imāni kho, bhikkhave, dve sukhāni.
The better of these two kinds of happiness is the happiness of equanimity.ā€
Etadaggaį¹, bhikkhave, imesaį¹ dvinnaį¹ sukhānaį¹ yadidaį¹ upekkhāsukhanā€ti.

Here the word for pleasure is Sāta and it seems that it refers to the happiness of fourth jhana vs happiness of the first three.

Both words have the same translation in a pali dictionary so what is the difference? And why does not the standart formula of the jhanas include that word as the thing that ceases in fourth jhana so that sukha can remain without contradiction?

In another sutta there is the word pāmojjattho that also means happiness and pleasure. So when there are many words for happiness than why is there not a different word for sensual happiness, happiness as a jhana factor and happiness that is beyond the jhana factor happiness.

Also I am not sure if I am wrong or if there is a mistake in the sutta: SuttaCentral
it says when someone in the fourth jhana perceives equanimity it is an affliction but equanimity is the factor of the fourth jhana. In the paragraphs before it is always the factor of the jhana that came before.