Nikaya Puritanism

Only moderators have the ability to do this. If you have a circumstance where this seems like a good idea, just contact one of the moderators :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Your poem and comment

Will a clerihew do?

…sent me looking for the definition and examples of clerihew, which led to finding this jewel from its explanation in Wikipedia:

Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
“Therefore I’m not”?

10 Likes

Bhante @sujato
Rarely gave a puja though
Given some time and a computer rental
Gave us all SuttaCentral

Am I doing it right?

3 Likes

The lines of a haiku are supposed to be exactly 5/7/5. (That’s actually the Western take on the original Japanese form which is more nuanced - meaning of course that there’s an inevitable English speaking upper layer of snobbish in-the-know true haiku enthusiasts.)

But your poem has the value of actually triggering out loud laughter.

2 Likes

It was supposed to be a clerihew:thinking: Guess I’ll have to try harder next time…

2 Likes

Having read about the Puritans, as well as having read some of their own writings, I’d strongly second this. They were a complex movement / community. They were not without their problems, but I hate to see them reduced to being an insult term as they often are in contemporary usage.

Only marital–
Tis true–Puritans embraced
joyful love-making

2 Likes

My mistake, since the original thread was haiku, somehow I thought you were trying to write a haiku and didn’t realize that you’d just offered us a perfect clerihew. Well done.

2 Likes

eleven-months-later.jpeg

:joy:

1 Like