Notes on the segmentation of Pali Vinaya with Brahmali's translation

I can put in periods of silence (breaks), but we’re already using some for inserted Pali words as well as paragraphs. I can make sections louder, but I’m uncertain if that’s the effect desired?

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t sound like a great idea. If the voices don’t contain a mechanism for stressing certain words, then just don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Bhante @sujato, was the omission of the “en” folder in the pli-tv folder intended? Without it we would have to assume that all pli-vi content is English. This was a change from “pi-vi/en”.

1 Like

Good question! @blake?

These texts are still settling down, give us a few days.

2 Likes

@Brahmali @greenTara @sabbamitta

We’re back! The Vinaya texts have now been completely updated and are available on Pootle.

So please start work when you’re ready!

4 Likes

Will come back to you if I get stuck somewhere… :wink:

(from here)

The same here too.

Oops, some bad news folks. Brahmali has discovered some file errors, due to a simple coding bug. Blake will fix it when he is back online, but I recommend not doing any work on the Vinaya until then.

5 Likes

@Brahmali Blake has fixed the problems, I hope, and it is refreshed, can I ask you to check it once more.

I was just starting to look at

https://pootle.suttacentral.net/en/pli-tv/translate/pli-tv-bu-vb/pli-tv-bu-vb-pc/pli-tv-bu-vb-pc51.po

and I see that this segment is missing

#. </p><p>
msgctxt "pli-tv-bu-vb-pc51:0.3"
msgid "Pācittiyakaṇḍa"
msgstr "The chapter on confession (<i lang=\"pli\">pācittiya</i>)"

? Sorry, the segment shows for me.

That’s really strange.

So it shows me that there are 76 segments, and the third one has index 0.4.

It also looks like I don’t have editing priviledge.

EDIT: now I see 77 segments, and index 0.3 is showing up. Don’t know what that was about - maybe there was something cached.

Yes, probably a cache error. I’ll look into assigning permissions later today.

I have now created a Pootle project for the Vinaya, and assigned Brahmali, Tara, and Sabbamitta as editors. :fireworks:

This means that everyone should be able to get on with their work when ready. :construction_worker_woman:

May I ask Tara and Sabbamitta to let me know when you start work. I’d like to work with you in the beginning and make sure we’re all on the same page. :handshake:

Note that the permissions enable Sabbamitta and Tara to edit anything in the Vinaya. So please make sure you don’t edit one of Brahmali’s edits by mistake! This shouldn’t usually be a problem, but just beware that it can happen. :warning:

4 Likes

I’ve now started on pc51, and following the example of pc41 as a template, and have completed the front matter and first paragraph (of the English version).

I have ignored any html markup having to do with indexing, such as

<a class="pts-cs" id="Bu-Pc.51.1">Bu-Pc.51.1</a><a class="pts-vp-en" id="BD.2.382">BD.2.382</a><a class="wt-pa">1018</a>

<a class="wt-pa">1019</a>

and

<a class="pts-vp-pi" id="Vin.4.109">Vin.4.109</a>

and then there is a </p? at the end, which doesn’t match the paragraph markup in the Pali.

Please advise if this is how you want it, or should the markup also be inserted in the translation box?

Also, there is a segment missing (1.01a) for the <h2 id="nidana">Origin story</h2> subheading.

I have to go to lunch now, I will be with you soon!

However, please review this first:

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/segmentation-of-ajahn-brahmalis-vinaya-texts/10451/110

OK. I wasn’t sure if that was the plan we were still following.

So I’ll paste in the html code, and you can have a look at that first paragraph after your lunch.
I’ll be asleep.

Okay, will do.

Just to reiterate: we should paste in everything in Brahmali’s files, excepting only any front or end matter. (Specifically, anything before <hgroup> should be left out.)

Don’t worry about duplicating HTML or anything like that: just plonk it all in as-is.

That also includes any extra headings or anything that should be in an extra segment: just paste them right in the next segment with everything else. I’ll sort it out later.

The reason I thought of doing it like this is that I realized that the hardest job is what you’re doing: identifying the correct segment and making sure they match up. So I want to make your job as easy as possible: just bung everything in there.

At the end of the day, we should end up with a PO file that contains in its msgstr everything that is in Brahmali’s HTML files. We should be able to extract the content of the msgstrs, diff them against Brahmali’s originals, and find there is no change.

Once that’s done, I’ll go over it all, invoking the mighty powers of regex and HTML Tidy and some other tricks and treats, and massage it all into shape. This is not a trivial job, as the experience of the past week or so has shown; at the same time, though, it’s not that hard. A few days work should get it done.

I’m hoping that by dividing up the tasks like this we can reduce the amount of manual labor in entering text, and get the whole thing done more efficiently.

2 Likes

So just checking the code, the body of the text is perfect, but we need to adjust the first part.

The main title, which is included in the <hgroup> tag, goes into the corresponding numbered segment. That is to say,:

<hgroup>
<h1 id="Bu-Pc.51">Monks’ Confession 51: The training rule on drinking alcoholic drinks</h1>
</hgroup>

is the translation of:

51. Surāpānasikkhāpada

(As a little FYI, the reason we put the numbers in the <h1> title on SC, rather than just the name, is that in some cases suttas or rules have no title, just a number.)

The vagga has no translation. I am aware that in earlier rules the heading is treated a little differently, however that is incorrect. But in any case we will adjust the final thing so that each of the heading fields in the Pali text has a proper translation.

The second thing is with the <h2> for the origin story. Such inserted titles belong with the following matter; it is the first piece of the next section. So it’s better to include it in the following segment.

Accordingly, in Pc 41, the <h1> title is numbered 0.5, indicating that it is part of the head matter; the <h2> title is numbered 1.1.0a, indicating it is the first part of the first section.

As a stylistic choice, you can get rid of the line breaks if you like; they don’t really help with anything. It won’t make much difference to the final thing; we will run HTML Tidy over it which will force consistent line breaking anyway. But it does make it look cleaner.

2 Likes

OK, I made a second pass on the front matter and first paragraph, and added the second paragraph. As noted with the “Needs work.” comments, there is some re-ordering done in the translation that I wasn’t sure how to capture. I went with inserting the later re-ordered translation material earlier. In this case it caused two Pali segments to be missing their English translations, which came earlier. Does this work for you?

Nice!

As for the organization, don’t write “needs work” in the comment: just click the “needs work” checkbox. That will insert #. fuzzy in the PO file, and I can find all instances very easily. I’ll sort out the segmentation on a case by case basis. This is what I did for the nikaya translations, and it worked out reasonably well.

Your choice there are quite sensible. We can never be 100% in matching text and translation segments, so just do what seems best.

1 Like