Notes on the segmentation of Pali Vinaya with Brahmali's translation

Wonderful! The next ten are on their way!

2 Likes

Bi Pc 28 segment 12:
Yā tā bhikkhuniyo appicchā, tā ujjhāyanti khiyyanti vipācenti— appears here in one segment; usually it’s divided into two. I marked “needs work”.

2 Likes

And Pc 21–30 are done. So, please send me whatever you feel fine with, Ajahn @Brahmali.

3 Likes

Since you are doing so well, perhaps I should send you 20 rules instead. Bhikkhunī pācittiyas 31-50 are on their way.

4 Likes

Bi Pc 47 segment 27:

washes it one the fourth day

Should be on the fourth day (corrected).

By the way, I find this rule a bit puzzling: It seems to say that the nuns in a monastery did share the same underwear—was that indeed the hygiene standard of the time??? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Well, we don’t know much about these things apart from a few scattered rules, such as this one. And it’s not underwear in a modern sense; it would have been an alternative antaravāsaka, a sarong.

3 Likes

I’ve now finished Pc 31–50 and humbly ask for the next portion, please! :wink: :anjal:

4 Likes

I shall be most delighted to send you the next 20 rules! Consider them on their way.

5 Likes

Bi Pc 60 segments 13, 14

Pali: Yā tā bhikkhuniyo appicchā … pe … tā ujjhāyanti khiyyanti vipācenti—

English: The nuns complained and criticized her,

I’m missing “the nuns of few desires” here. :thinking:
I mark it “needs work”.

2 Likes

Thanks for picking up on this. :grinning: I have now corrected it and removed the “needs work”.

4 Likes

Bi Pc 68 segment 34

na aññaṃ āṇāpeyya “dve vassāni neva anuggaṇhissāmi na anuggaṇhāpessāmī”ti dhuraṃ nikkhittamatte āpatti pācittiyassa.

In the Pali this whole passage is in one segment.

In the English there is not only a paragraph brake in between but even a horizontal rule. The first part na aññaṃ āṇāpeyya is actually the gloss to the term Na anuggaṇhāpeyyāti, and what follows then is something different; the English formatting seems more logical. In other rules similar passages are indeed consisting of two different segments.

So I put it in the same segment but mark “needs work”.

2 Likes

Bhikkhuni Pacittiya 51–70 are done; impatiently waiting for the next portion! :wink: :sunflower:

2 Likes

Excellent! There are only 26 rules left of the pācittiyas. Since you are doing so well, I might as well send them all in one go.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll let you know what I’ve done portion by portion so that you know what’s available for you again. :sunflower:

2 Likes

Good idea!

2 Likes

Bi Pc 72 segment 38

That an unmarried girl who is eighteen years old should be told to say this:

Should be only That unmarried girl…—is corrected.

4 Likes

Bi Pc 76 segment 21

English: The Buddha criticized them, “… How can the nun Caṇḍakāḷī consent to not being approved to give a full ordination, and then criticize it afterwards?

Shouldn’t it be criticized her?—I changed it.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. This is the sort of error that occurs because of uncritical copying and pasting.

4 Likes

Pc 71–80 are finished. :hibiscus:

4 Likes

Sādhu! Sādhu!! Sādhu!!!

5 Likes