Notes on the segmentation of Pali Vinaya with Brahmali's translation

Kd 8 segments 1266/1267

“Bhikkhussa, bhikkhave, kālaṅkate saṃgho sāmī pattacīvare, api ca gilānupaṭṭhākā bahūpakārā.” (1266)
“Anujānāmi, bhikkhave, saṃghena ticīvarañca pattañca gilānupaṭṭhākānaṃ dātuṃ.” (1267)

api ca gilānupaṭṭhākā bahūpakārā is still in the former segment, while in the English it is in a new paragraph (which makes sense). So it should perhaps go into the next segment.

Again the same in segments 1288/1289 for a Samanera and 1315/1316 for a monk with many belongings.

Marking “needs work”.

2 Likes

Kd 8 segment 1339

(a monk dressed… ) “in a robe of antelope hide went to the Master and said,”

Should be a comma after “hide”—fixed. :white_check_mark:

Similarly in segment 1353. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Thanks @Sabbamitta. It’s nice to see both Pootle and yourself up and running gain. :grinning:

3 Likes

It’s nice that things we are taking for granted normally now make us so very glad when they just work… :smiley:

3 Likes

And on it goes:

In chapter 27 about robes of various colors sabbalohitakāni (segment 1368) is translated as entirely red, and so is sabbamañjiṭṭhakāni (segment 1369). Wouldn’t it be better to find two different words in English?

2 Likes

Segments 1394/1395: Here the text that in all previous (and following) instances has been in one segment is broken into two segments.

Marking “needs work”.

1 Like

Cīvarakkhandhako niṭṭhito.—“The chapter on robe-cloth is finished.”

I love the word “finished”! :heart_eyes:

Thanks to Anicca III aka Pootle—i.e. thanks to @blake, of course :anjal:—it could be done. (Ajahn @Brahmali, I guess you still remember Anicca the car… :oncoming_automobile: :rotating_light: :loud_sound: :open_mouth: Anicca II has come to be the name of my laptop at some point. And the Pootle server now is called Anicca III.)

Keen to see what you’ll send me next! :pray:

5 Likes

Thanks for noticing this. I shall look into it.

I have just sent you the next chapter, the Medicine Khandhaka, the sixth. So I am afraid “finished” is only temporary, like all things saṃsāric. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Kd 6 segment 287

“The sore did not heel.”—Corrected to heal.

Segment 311, in the comment: “one whose stomach as failed”—Corrected: has failed.

2 Likes

Kd 6 segment 458

The starting quotation marks are at the end of this segment, although the words spoken are only in the following segment.—“Needs work”.

Added: This seems to be like this in general. Is this what it is supposed to be? Bhante @sujato?

1 Like

No, the start quotes should be with their text. But there is no need to mark each case, I will fix this globally.

1 Like

I see it’s actually not quite everywhere; but it should be not too difficult to find those instances where quotation marks are at the end of a segment.

1 Like

I’m just seeing an instance where the segments in Pali have a paragraph break in English (for example Kd 6, segment 648). There are certainly more of these, and I didn’t notice them all. Should I report / mark “needs work” when I see them, or can it be fixed globally? Probably the second; it should be easy to find </p><p> in the middle of a segment.

(Just marking “needs work” this time.)

2 Likes

Kd 6 segment 656

“Because I have already agreed to provide it, it would not right if I didnʼt.””

it would not be right… (fixed)

Segment 670 “how much faith and confidence Suppiyāhas”

Suppiyā has (fixed)

Segment 683 “and he replied that she was is sick.”

Removing the is. (fixed)

Segment 688 “The moment Supiyā saw the Master that great wound healed and was perfectly covered skin and hairs.”

… and was perfectly covered with skin and hairs. (fixed)

2 Likes

Thanks, @sabbamitta. It’s great that you find all these things. After a while you just can’t see your own text clearly.

3 Likes

I know! :heart:

2 Likes

Ajahn, do you generally spell “Venerables” with a capital or not? In segment 748 it is spelled without, and I don’t remember how this is handled elsewhere.

"Venerable Sir, please ask the venerables not to eat snake meat.”

1 Like

I believe that Venerables is a religious term and therefore is proper noun that should be capitalized. The counter-example is Bishop and bishops. The lower case would imply that a religious term has been used so much it has become common. Another example is Bhikkhu as a form of address compared with “that bhikkhu” as a common noun.

2 Likes

Oh no :woman_facepalming: not again! :snake:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a good idea.

2 Likes