Notes on the segmentation of Pali Vinaya with Brahmali's translation

Unconfused! Thanks for the thorough explanation, and it’s neat to get more of a glimpse into interpreting rules.

It’s been fun segmenting, partly in seeing where the new translation flows better and reads more easily than a more literal translation would!

5 Likes

I think there’s this concept of those vinaya rules that are core to the vinaya. Those wouldn’t be flexible, we assume, but in rare situations even they might be considered flexible- say if your rare and precious human birth was about to be snuffed out by some petty robber. I might be wrong… vinaya isn’t silabbataparamasa.

Kd 2 segment 919:

He should set out drinking water and water for washing, should prepare a seat, light lamp, and sit down.

… light a lamp—fixed :white_check_mark:

Segments 937 and 944:

On the observance day it may happen that a monk is unsure if heʼs committed on offense.

… committed an offense.—fixed :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Kd 2 segment 1450:

If the number of resident monks is greater, the newly arrived monks should fall in line with resident monks.

… in line with the resident monks. Fixed :white_check_mark:

Segment 1451:

If the number is the same, the newly arrived monks should fall in line with resident monks.

… in line with the resident monks. Fixed :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Thanks! The invitation khandhaka had the same problem, now fixed.

1 Like

Kd 2 segment 1674:

The Pali phrase na saṃghabhedakassa … pe … has no English translation.

Uposathakkhandhako niṭṭhito! :pray:

So, Ajahn @Brahmali, if you’d like to send me another one… :grin:

3 Likes

Excellent! There are now only two khandhakas left of the Mahāvagga. I’ll send you the Vassakkhandhaka, the Chapter on the rainy season residence, first.

And I have added the translation for na saṃghabhedakassa … pe ….

3 Likes

Kd 3 segment 152:

This is the chapter on donations to Bhikkhunis, Sikkhamanas, novices, etc. In the list of items to be built there is no mention of jantāgharaṃ kārāpitaṃ hoti … jantāgharasālā kārāpitā hoti … in the Pali, but they are still there in the English translation.

I am putting them all into the segment with pokkharaṇī kārāpitā hoti … (that’s actually 152) and mark “needs work”.

(According to the Pali this means that there is no sauna for nuns and novices… :cry:—thanks Ajahn for still granting it to them in the translation :smile:)

5 Likes

Thanks for noticing this. I have had a look at the Pali and it seems the mistake is mine, probably due to copying and pasting too eagerly. Sauna and sauna shed really should be left out. I have deleted it and undone the “needs work” field.

But please don’t cry! :grinning: There are no rules, as far as know, against nuns having a sauna, and so this does not affect such a possibility.

6 Likes

Kd 3 segment 551

The majority had no faith and confidence.:

I’m not sure what the colon is about—a typo?

6 Likes

Yes, it’s a typo. But it ain’t no longer! I’ve just fixed it. Please carry on using your sharp eyes. :grinning:

4 Likes

Kd 3 segment 790

After staying there for two or three day, he leaves, despite not having any business

After staying there for two or three days, he leaves …—fixed :white_check_mark:

The same again in segments 794, 798, 803, 817, 818, 819, 822, 837, 841, 845, 850, 864, 865, 866, 869—fixed :white_check_mark:

Vassūpanāyikakkhandhako niṭṭhito!! :tada:

And I guess you’ll now send me the first Khandhaka—something I’d particularly look forward to, since it has one of my favorite suttas… :dharmawheel: :wink:

6 Likes

Splendid! Splendid!! Splendid!!!

I have no idea how you do it so fast. Do you have some sort of super-power? One not mentioned in the EBTs? Truth be told, I am not actually all that interested in how you do it. Selfish as I am, I am more interested in the fact that you do it. A wonderful fact indeed. So congratulations. :grinning:

As for sending you the Mahakkhandhaka, I am afraid I will have to let you down. No gratitude for your efficient work, uh. :frowning_face: Sorry, but it’s not ready for input yet. I hope to have it ready within the next few weeks. I’ll keep your interest in mind for when it’s ready, of course, but for now I am going to have send you the first chapter of the Cullavagga. Unfortunately it is very boring and technical compared to the Mahakkhandhaka. But I hope you will take it all with good grace. The chapter is on its way.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

I am afraid I also have to disappoint you… it was simply a rather short Khandhaka… :innocent:

4 Likes

Divine-nose: :sneezing_face::sleepy:

1 Like

@Brahmali
It is done!
I am off for another month at MABA, so I will be back in touch around April 20 to see what is to be done next.

5 Likes

Yay! Well done. :grinning:

Thank you for your contribution. The three of you are working at different speeds, but I recognise your life situations are very different. What matters is that you are all contributing. We are now almost half way through the Khandhakas.

There should still be plenty to do when you get off retreat. In the meantime, please have a peaceful and happy month!

6 Likes

Kd 11, right at the beginning:

In the English translation the phrase “Homage to the Master, the Perfected One, the fully Awakened One” comes in segment 3, before the first title “The legal procedure of censure”. In the Pali this phrase comes only after this title, in segment 5.

Marking both segments “needs work” (have to add a question mark to the second one, since I can’t mark an empty segment).

2 Likes

Thanks! This appears to be another fault with the Pali text on SuttaCentral. The Pali of the root text in the Mahāsaṅgīti is in the same sequence as my translation.

3 Likes

And which text is on Pootle?

Anyway, the sequence in your translation seems more logical (but I know logic is not what matters here… ).

2 Likes