If the Pali segmentation must be changed, so be it. I don’t want to change the segmentation of the published versions, but this is different.
In fact, when I did my translations, I marked places for correcting segments and went back and did them at the end, much as I plan to do with the Vinaya.
Once it is out there I would rather avoid changing segments where possible, as it breaks references. However in small cases I still do it. In fact, even this morning I changed some segment numbers to improve consistency, only a few references were affected.
As to changes in the Pali text, this is very bad! We should catch any instances where they occur, and before final publishing, I will get Blake to run a diff across the whole Vinaya corpus, comparing with the original files of the Mahasangiti edition, to make sure nothing has changed.