Notes on yoniso manasi kāra

And it may well change again!

Yes, I think so. Perhaps it could be expressed even more loosely, “applying the mind in a manner that is guided by an awareness that the sources of things shape their manifestations.”

Happy to hear alternatives. But to me, “applying” is more active and ongoing. Attention is a little static, like soldiers standing at attention.

No, a mistake, I’ve fixed it.

“right application of mind” (which actually fits the context better.)

I’m sure there will be other cases, too!

This is one sense of the ending, and thanks for the examples. But in Pali at least—not sure about Sanskrit—this ending can take a number of senses. We previously discussed it a little here.

In this case, the commentary typically glosses it with an instrumental upāyena pathena.

Looking at couple of the other examples, it’s not clear to me that they all have an enumerative sense. Consider SN 22.57:

Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu dhātuso upaparikkhati, āyatanaso upaparikkhati, paṭiccasamuppādaso upaparikkhati.

Paṭiccasamuppāda is always treated in singular as an abstract principle, and one cannot examine “paṭiccasamuppāda by paṭiccasamuppāda”. Surely the instrumental applies here:

It’s when a mendicant examines by way of the elements, sense fields, and dependent origination.

As a different usage, consider āyatanaso in AN 4.61. There a householder is lauded for their financial prudence with the phrase:

Idamassa paṭhamaṁ ṭhānagataṁ hoti pattagataṁ āyatanaso paribhuttaṁ.

It’s not an easy idiom, (I have reconsidered and changed my translation just now), but I have rendered it as:

This is his first expenditure in an appropriate sphere on a deserved and fitting cause.

Here too the commentary glosses āyatanaso with an instrumental (kāraṇeneva).

Other cases are less clear. dhātuso could be “by way of the elements” or “element by element”.

Anyway, the main point is that the enumerative usage of the -so ending is just one application in Pali, but in relevant contexts the Pali tradition typically interprets the ablative in an instrumental sense.

I have been trying out the rendering “application of mind”. It seems to work fairly well.

Again, that article only considers the Buddhist usage, i.e. what it went to, not where it came from. That’s one half of the equation.

But sure, in general Buddhist usage that’s fine.

Umm, I’m not really sure what you’re getting at here. Appamada is “diligence”, which is not really the same as “reviewing”. Yoniso maniskara isn’t quite the same as yathābhūtañāṇadassana. Normally it leads to it, but sometimes the meaning overlaps, like when Yoniso maniskara is applied to the four noble truths.

5 Likes