On Nibanna and Elon Musk

Since the state of Nibbana is one of the imponderables (as mentioned in “Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable” (AN 4.77)) it is difficult to describe it exactly yet Pali canon gives us some hints regarding what are not its characteristics.
for instance

“There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor stasis; neither passing away nor arising: without stance, without foundation, without support [mental object]. This, just this, is the end of stress.”

— Ud 8.1

“There is, monks, an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.”

— Ud 8.3

Where water, earth, fire, & wind have no footing:
There the stars do not shine,
the sun is not visible,
the moon does not appear,
darkness is not found.
And when a sage,
a brahman through sagacity,
has known [this] for himself,
then from form & formless,
from bliss & pain,
he is freed.
— Ud 1.10

when I read these suttas I was very fascinated with this concept for many weeks until I forgot about it. But recently I came upon an interview of Elon Musk where he was talking about the fact that we are probably living in a simulation and there is one sentence which caught me off guard which was when he said

The “substrate” on which these simulations are running, whatever it may be, is probably quite boring, at least compared to the simulations themselves,

This substrate part seemed to me a lot like what Buddha talked about Nibbana 2500 yrs ago. At that very moment I thought to myself that however intelligent Elon might be but If someone has read Pali canon he will always remain ahead of these rocket science majors

This example of obtaining joy from the dhamma is an inception of the factors of awakening, mindfulness, investigation of phenomena, energy, rapture, tranquillity, concentration, equanimity.

1 Like