On the Election in the US

Very true! Like, I had to endure 8 years of the Democratic presidency, before that I had had to endure 8 years of George W. Bush (this is where my opinion about the man outweighs my political views), and don’t even get me started on Putin. Come on, folks, it’s just eight four years!

2 Likes

Hey guys,

Let’s take it easy on ourselves and others if we appear or have been “judgemental”… Let’s not judge the judgemental or even judge the judgementalism of those judging the judgemental :wink:

If that’s you… don’t worry… no judgement :heartpulse:

Feel the love folks… :slight_smile: Love…Love…Love… :yellow_heart::purple_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::heartbeat::revolving_hearts::two_hearts:

Oh…and if I am, have been or will be judgemental… just send me some love back? Huh?

Lots of :sparkling_heart::gift_heart::heart_decoration::heart_exclamation:

13 Likes

That’s a great thought Kay. No judgment, of course :grinning:

3 Likes

@Sila
I have not found a way for responses to show up under the appropriate post (if anyone is successful with this, please tell me; I’ve tried different things). But If you use the @ and the person’s name at the top or within the message it will clarify whose post you’re responding to.

1 Like

There are two kinds of reply buttons. The white ↶Reply button beside each post replies directly to that post and will appear under it in the Discourse style. The blue ↶Reply button at the bottom of the thread will reply to the thread as a whole.

If you want to reply to just one person, use the white ↶Reply. If you want to reply to many people, use the blue ↶Reply, and cite each one by highlighting the relevant phrase in their post, as I have done here.

Does that make sense? The system works well, although it could perhaps be clearer.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How to reply and quote in the right place

While I agree that much of Trump’s rhetoric over the campaign was hateful or discriminatory, my impression is that the cause of his election was much the same as that of Brexit. Working class people felt that they had been ignored and abandoned. If you were to drive through some parts of small-town America that have been devastated by globalization and the rise of technology over the last few decades, you would see that these people too deserve compassion.

It is difficult to know how the United States will change over the next few years. I wish everyone the best, though. At times like this, it is important to build community, help others, and keep moving forward meaningfully into the future.

3 Likes

As a monastic, I wanted to comment about monastic’s political involvement. Sorry for the lateness of this response, I’m a bit slow.

The reason that I looked up Discourse following the election, is that I wanted to hear the ways that Dhamma would inform people’s views about what has happened. So this is the main reason that I think it’s invaluable and essential that monks and nuns do comment on such issues. Of course they don’t necessarily have all the answers.

Sometimes a view of a situation is not going to be advice or philosophy, but an expression of empathy, the ability to give space to emotions and pains and confusion. And I was relieved that the banner on the top of discourse was black when I looked up discourse regarding the election. Because it was an acknowledgement of emotion. (Well I maybe I can relate to that because I was an artist most of my life). It kind of gave space for my own sense of all the turmoil that was arising in the world regarding this event.

I was also relieved to see other elders speak about events. Pema Chodron and Amma Thanasanti for example, made statements to their communities, even though both of them were on retreat. Most senior teachers asked us to understand each other and to remember our common humanity.

And I was reminded of the poem by Thich Nhat Hanh “Call Me By My True Names”, that illustrates how a well-developed heart and mind sees the world. It’s at once an intimate connection with the suffering of both sides and at the same time, the big picture.

I thought of stories I heard about monks and nuns involved in politics, like the forest master Ajahn Jumnien, who spent ten years helping negotiate peace during the war in southern Thailand. At one point, both sides had each put a price of millions of baht on his life. He saved tens of thousands of lives. Ajahn Chah actually advised him to get involved and sort out the problems.

If monastics all stay outside of politics, then the sexism that is incoded in Buddhist institutions would never be challenged, nor other forms of exclusion, like homophobia. So I have personally benefitted from nuns and monks who have informed views of gender politics and the history of Buddhism.

If any monk or nun wants to stay their whole life on retreat, I would rejoice in that. However most of us are going to have to deal with the politics of the Buddhist institutions. And then I hope that there are at least a few who have informed themselves of the ways that the Vinaya shows us how to resolve differences, how to live with difference. From my limited experience, living in community is where a lot of monks and nuns have difficulties, and so it’s an important part of training.

This kind of training can also be of service when conflicts arise in the greater community. And this kind of commentary is speaking about the Dhamma.

9 Likes

Thanks, Ayya, for a wise and considered contribution. It’s important for us monastics to stay human.

:pray:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this heartfelt and wise post.
With much mettā to you & everyone here,
Linda

2 Likes

Whose emotion? Emotion of some specific person or the entire community? Would a banner with Trump have been an acknowledgment of emotion and really appropriate on a website like this one?

My issue with that thing is that I didn’t perceive it as personal emotion, I perceived it as the communal reaction, an ‘official stance’ if you will, and there was zero discussion about what this communal reaction could be and zero options to choose between. I am 100% sure the majority of people here would have voted for the black banner, but in this case this would have been the true choice of the community. The way it was done now it was pretty much like elections in Russia.

Besides, seriously, there were much, much worse tragedies like terror attacks in Nice or Paris, explosions on board of a Russian plane (curiously enough, no Russian flags on YouTube or Facebook), the Dutch plane downed by pro-Russian rebels in the Ukraine, lots of other horrible things that elicited real strong emotions from everyone here, and I am sure there could be no two opinions about whether the black banner would have been appropriate in such situations. Somehow, I am not relieved we perceive it as natural to react to lost elections in a more emotional way than we react to loss of human lives and unthinkable violence and cynicism or terrorists.

To be clear, there is no anger in me, and I am totally fine with anyone having other opinions. So, thanks four your contribution, it is much appreciated!

3 Likes

Dear All,

Just being honest, I haven’t been paying attention much to the politics and the previous presidential race partly because I don’t really care about it and have been busy with the EBT dictionary project. Moreover, I have more pressing issues like my practice. Just like @Vstakan, I grew up overseas till my pre-teenage years before immigrating to the U.S. There are far worse places in the world. I’m just glad I am where it’s a little bit safer and where I am allowed to be a Buddhist. Honestly, if I was in a place where no other religion is allowed, no matter how dedicated I am to the practice, it would be really difficult to practice. Would you not agree?

Yes, there’s a lot of problems here in the US (and isn’t that the same with everywhere else?) but at least here, there is agreeable amount of freedom. I don’t think we can speak what we think of in most countries without being arrested, tortured, or even worse, killed off. My family has been a victim of racial profiling just several months ago but we’ve moved on and don’t even really think about it nor discuss about it. We remember it but we don’t let it pull us down. Heck, I’m only remembering it now as I am typing.

The election has been over with. I don’t know what’s going to happen next. But at least I don’t have to worry about it because just look at what happened? Most Americans (including myself) predicted it would be an easy win for the democract candidate. Obvious right? But just like the Buddha said, what you expect is something completely different. Prime example here.

For me I just want to move on. I really do, not because I don’t want to face reality but because it is the reality that we have a new president. I’m not gonna think too much or expect anything. From my own personal Dhamma practice, it’s this judging and fault finding that gets me into suffering all the time.

I’m 40 years old by Buddhist reckoning, I could die anytime now. And I honestly know that I still have a lot of practicing to do because I am still stumbling here and there. Also, I have a five year old that I need to raise properly. In a bigger picture, a new president is nothing at all. I acknowledge and accept that I will still be affected by it as I am not a ariya yet but this is the way it is. I can only do so much. And if I’m gonna do something about it, I will do the things that really matter. I just saw something earlier this week where someone made a logo that said “Make America Hate Again”. Really? That wasn’t called for. It’s just feeding the embers (of discontentment) to make a huge fire (of hatred). I don’t want to be a part of that! There’s enough of that in this world.

Just my silly thoughts.

May all of us find peace and contentment.

in mettā,
russ

5 Likes

Everyone,

I wanted to to apologize regarding the recent discussions on this thread. While I feel it was important to shed light on some things, I believe that as the discussion progressed what I wrote could of been said differently, in a more skillful and mindful manner, then how I said it.

This is a wonderful community and it was not my intention to create any further unease that already existed in the discussion of this hard topic.

6 Likes

I thought the black banner was someone playing with color palettes, using black to help save the battery life of mobile devices or something.

:calling:

5 Likes

And I thought it was a bug!

2 Likes

I was censored & censured previously here for my posts.

It has become very clear to me why bhikkhus & bhikkhunis should not engage in political talk. My impression not only from Sutta Central but also from elsewhere is bhikkhus & bhikkhunis are grieving the loss of a Presidential candidate that merely gave lip service or verbal rhetoric to liberal human rights but did not actually practise them; a Presidential candidate who allegedly engaged in acts of intimidation against women who alleged her husband raped them . Further, some of these bhikkhus & bhikkhunis are now giving the impression they support rights to abortion & sexual liberalism. I understand Buddhism does not actively work to modify or restrict the behaviors of non-Buddhists but to give the public IMPRESSION of being ‘Pro-Abortionist’ certainly cannot conform with the spirit of the Vinaya (which forbids bhikkhus & bhikkhunis to recommend or help arrange abortions) .

Bhikkhus & bhikkhunis can certainly help foster forgiveness & understanding in relation to abortion but, as a Buddhist, I struggle to discern how bhikkhus & bhikkhunis can give the public impression they are supporting pro-abortion government policies.

How many people here have been following closely what occurred in Iraq, Libya, Syria & Yemen under the Obama & Clinton administration. particularly how what occurred in Libya was said to be the work of Hilary Clinton & Susan Rice?

How many of other races, how many women & how many children were harmed, suffered & killed in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen & elsewhere due to the foreign policies of Hilary Clinton & Susan Rice?

Since the political sphere is often one of great evils, how can bhikkhus & bhikkunis take sides?

:neutral_face:

[quote=“Sila, post:34, topic:3549”]
People are overwhelmed with their lives and and many are desperate…Tens if not hundreds of millions of people have lost good jobs which have gone abroad and now are out of work or working in low paying jobs with no prospects like fast food and chain stores…[/quote]

Very valid point there. Buddhism does teach there are four requisites of life and Buddhism does not say economic poverty is a desirable thing.

Possibly. But why would these desperate people vote for those who they actually know contributed to their desperate fate? Naturally, using the little power they have, they would vote for an alternative.

If Trump actually said the above, he is not right. The Chinese have not used the West & the Chinese have not stolen jobs. To the contrary, it is Western corporations under the approval of Western governments that have chosen to operate in China. The large corporations such as Apple, Nike, whoever, that operate in China, Indonesia, etc, are not Chinese companies. They are Western companies.

The economic liberalism & deregulation mostly occurred under the Bill Clinton administration. Hillary supported all of these agendas, just as she supported every other free-trade & foreign war agenda.

Were those people actually “well-meaning” or were those people interested in having a domestic workforce that works for lower paid wages?

What is wrong with stopping illegal immigration (and promoting legal immigration) and stopping “free-trade” and returning to “fair-trade”?

The “freedom” Buddhism teaches does not extend to trade & other actions. There are teachings in the suttas about how government rulers should promote industry within their country.

I am not an American. I am an outsider. From my perspective, Obama administrated over the worst & most unjust foreign wars since the Vietnam War.

Buddhism teaches to have metta & compassion for all beings rather than just our own social group. Thus, putting oneself in the place of another, is the best place to judge Obama’s contribution.

I personally have never followed a US election before but I personally was actually praying for no more Obama or Clinton for what they have done in the Middle-East.

Based solely on her demonstrated foreign policies & actions, for the sake of hoping the merciless slaughter, raping, harm & dislocation of countless (non-American; non-Western) beings may possibly stop, I could only pray for Clinton to not become the President of the world.

May all beings be free from suffering (dukkha) & dwell in safety (abhaya). :evergreen_tree: :koala: :evergreen_tree:

Please check out the BBC website today for the video entitled “BBC tries to interview China candidate” or something like that–a reporter tries to interview a woman who is attempting to run for local office, independent of the Communist party)–is prevented from doing so in a violent manner.

Due to the devastating unemployment in many places in the world now, right wing nationalism, and other forms of oppressive, xenophobic/negative political movements could gain power. Europe and many other areas are facing this threat. Such a leader was elected in the Philippines.

Some scholars have pointed out that the economic problems today, and nationalist/xenophobic/extreme responses, are reminiscent of the time just before World War 2.

WE CANNOT AFFORD NOT TO BE POLITICALLY INVOLVED, AND AWARE!

Please, BUDDHISTS MUST NOT STAND ON THE SIDE LINES!

We must take a stand, get involved, and try to redirect that energy in a positive, kind, loving, compassionate way.

…Help find solutions to stop global warming, to protect the environment, and to keep the economy going. And prevent politicians/movements that seek to propagate hate, harm the environment, discriminate against people/nations, oppress them, and so on. No need to judge them, just help prevent them from harming others. Try to convince them they are making a mistake.

In many countries we can still do this in a positive, productive, compassionate way.

Stay up to date on the news and political legislation/plans and call and write to your legislators, sign petitions.

Give to organizations that are dedicated to protecting the environment and human rights through peaceful legal means: legislation, legal appeals and lawsuits, the media, peaceful protest, etc.

They need it more than ever. And become well-informed, talk to the people whom you see leaning in the wrong direction, in a kind, calm, rational and eloquent way. Try to change their minds. In some cases, they may have the greatest sway over the behavior of the candidates they elected.

The Buddha’s life (like that of countless other saints and bodhisattvas–including those of other religious traditions) is an example of active, positive involvement in the world, motivated by compassion, kindness, and a desire to prevent harm and suffering.

3 Likes

Please be VERY careful where you get your news, and what you believe.

A new tactic of people who want to manipulate the public is to create stories on sites that appear to be news outlets/newspapers but are not, stories that APPEAR to be news, but are totally untrue.

If you were praying for Hillary Clinton to lose, you have been misled.

If you blame her for the Iraq War, or for problems in Syria, or Yemen, you are mistaken.

She did support arming rebels in Libya and Syria, and that was likely a mistake. But she is certainly not responsible for the crisis in the Middle East. Dick Cheney, George Bush = partly.

Even in China, for some reason some forces on social media have been spreading misinformation about Clinton.

A positive social media site about her was shut down, but negative ones were allowed to continue:

This has also been a major problem in the US on both sides…but primarily aimed against Clinton and Obama and liberal, progressive ideas.

See this BBC story re this problem in China. Quite surprising there would be an effort to discredit Clinton. It may be that by doing so some forces hope to increase criticism of democracy :

Here is an excerpt:

"Although the Chinese media maintains a strict, unified message on international affairs, social media allows users to create dedicated online fan pages for high-profile figures.

Prior to 2015, Sina Weibo had an unofficial Hillary Clinton fan club with over 350,000 followers.

It’s not known who ran the group, but it presented Mrs Clinton in a positive light as a woman in a position of authority, and was frequented by young Chinese women, many of whom said they aspired to be like her.

However, following her announcement that she intended to run for president, the group was suddenly suspended.

Similar platforms were launched for the Republican candidate. Early in the year, a Weibo fan page emerged, dedicated to “everything Trump”.

Official media also started giving more attention to Ivanka Trump, who has a verified Sina Weibo page with more than 14,000 followers offering up their views on the US election.

I thought it was a much nicer choice of colour…more soothing than the customary yellow! Yes, I too thought it was someone doing an aesthetic “upgrade”.

1 Like
1 Like