On the Election in the US

Bhikkhu Bodhi has mentored for many the role monastics might assume in advocating for Dhammic principles in social and political spheres.

6 Likes

@Vstakan @Bhikkhu_Jayasara
I appreciated the ‘black armband’, thank-you Bhante @Sujato (and/or whoever did it), though I see it has already been changed. It’s natural to experience the pain of grief when witnessing forces of division & hatred manifesting instead of compassion and wisdom (and I mean this in a far broader way than in terms of which party won the elction)… The pain reminds me to look deeply into my own heart/mind, to remain committed to practice every moment to root out the forces of greed, hatred and delusion within. To cultivate compassion & wisdom, to cultivate moment by moment the conditons for liberation.

3 Likes

thanks for posting this!

1 Like

“as a monk I can’t be political… but then let me talk about politics and my views…oi.”

This is pretty much sums up the point I have been trying to make. At least he admits it before he begins. I respect Bhikkhu Bodhi for his scholarly work, I wouldn’t have the access to the suttas I do without him. I even agree with the organization he helped create and donated to it in the past, I think it’s a good thing, but for me he has become far too involved in politics. Thats fine though because he does his own thing quite separate from his dhamma work… well until recently. I’m not sure how I feel about his newest sutta book incoming.

The trouble with opening our mouths and speaking - even a little - is that we can get pigeon-holed or we can pigeon-hole ourselves and create our own world from this. So do we keep quiet. Do we block up our ears when someone opens up about how they feel and what they think is important to them? No. We listen. Take that person within that moment, then let them go and allow them the chance to be something else the next time we speak, allow ourselves the chance to see something else in them next time.

The trouble with this kind of discourse is that it’s written and recorded and you can scroll up and see what we said in the past. But what we said in the past isn’t us now. It might be, but it doesn’t have to be.

Let’s be kind. Let’s be present. Let’s keep being kind and present even as we disagree but also as we agree; so our agreement doesn’t solidify and stop us from being present or kind in the future.

If this was supposed to be easy - interacting with each other - then the Buddha wouldn’t have bothered with some of the aspects of the 8 Fold Path! But they’re there precisely because this is so often, so difficult.

Moreover, the trouble, as I see it, and with respect, is not that some monastics are political or not political. It is that monastics find it necessary to be openly judgemental about how other monastics are political or not political enough, when these monastics are in all important respects, keeping their virtue pure. This is all I ask of “my” Sangha, that they keep their virtue as purely as possible and they make some attempt to meditate. If they feel that for them, being kind and teaching and encouraging others to be kind brings them into, what one may term a more publicly political sphere, then fine…wonderful…may they influence the world to be kinder, more open, more inclusive and generous. As monastics, they will be seen and heard in a way that lay people may not be, and so the good they can do can be immense. If they are at the other end of the spectrum, and they wish to stay within their monastery and grow their hearts in goodness and peace and love and wisdom and simply spend their time going within…wonderful. May they succeed. Because that is afterall what we want for all beings. Well, I do. I want all beings to be able to have the chance to meditate and find peace and truth and release. So I’m so happy when they do it or aim for it so ardently. Because when I see such people, their peace spills out of them and infects me and others around them and it inspires me like nothing else does, encourages me to practice and helps me to interact with myself and others. Even being within the grounds of a monastery where beings are meditating with power is incredible…the feeling of peace is tangible, healing and nourishing.

Buddhist monasticism is big enough to hold all kinds of virtuous monks and nuns. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s perfectly fine. However, I didn’t. The thing is that, as I said before, it is just fine and maybe even commendable to an extent to express such sentiments as a matter of your own opinion and not present them as a view of the entire community. I mean, I regard myself as part of the SC community, I think you are part of the SC community too. Being part of a community, especially a community of fellow Dhamma farers, means your opinion is heard and taken into account. In other words, I would be perfectly fine with the black design if we had been asked to vote about this (I have no doubts the majority of people would have voted for the black design) or would have had the option to switch it off or change it to a cheerful MAGA design. It’s not the opinion in and of itself that is puzzling me, it is the way this opinion is presented to us. Just to be perfectly clear. I feel no anger or resentment, I have deep respect for all of you great people, and I wish you the very best. It’s just this way of bringing in politics that I think will not be benificial for all of us.

You have your opinions, I have mine. We could discuss them here publicly, but first I think it would be inappropriate since the primary goal of this website is somewhat different. Second I think you would agree political discussion tend to become polarizing and toxic on both sides, and this is something everyone would like to avoid.

Okay, so one last bit of political discussion :slight_smile: That’s a prime example of what I call ‘polarizing and toxic’, asaccording to this logic I am now representing forces of division and hatred and whatnot. Not that I agree in everything with the Republicans or Trump personally, but I think this is hugely oversimplifying things. I saw inordinate amounts of hate, greed and delusion on both sides in this presidential campaign. I saw a lot of hate, greed and violence among Trump supporters, I saw a lot of hate, greed and violence among Hillary supporters. I don’t think both candidates are good people (no, it’s not because Hillary is a girl; no, don’t let’s discuss why I think she’s a bad person too :slight_smile:) I don’t think their political programs are 100% true or 100% wrong. What I do think is that both parties represent both forces of hate and forces of compassion (much love, so compassion). I think that ascribing exclusively negative characterics to one side only is the least constructive perspective and the least successful foundation for a meaningful and fruitful dialogue between the two sides possible. Why do we tend to describe things this way? I don’t know, possibly because of the rich Dualist tradition in the Western cultures, possbily, because it is easier to think this way and politics thrives on over-simplifications, possibly because of the strong apocalyptic flavour of the Christian tradition the majority of us were born to. I respect your opinions, even if I think some of them are wrong and some of them are very wrong. Please, please try to respect my opinions. And please try to overcome this us-them dichotomy, no matter who you support, Trump or Clinton.

4 Likes

Even with the differences of opinions over the last day or so here, I have just that much more respect and appreciation for everyone here. I think it’s great that we can air these differences out at the Watercooler, and it’s just very cool to reread the posts today to sense the level of mutual respect. Perhaps the Watercooler is doing what it is designed to do, in part, which is to provide a place and space for this kind of dialogue, very separate and distinct from the rest of SC. I’m grateful for all of you, and very glad for this forum.

3 Likes

Exactly what I posted about in the other thread…

Well said @Vstakan and I’m glad you are willing to be open about this. There is room in the Dhamma for everyone.

I also agree with my friend @anagarika . This discourse is important for an all inclusive community.

1 Like

Dear @ Vstakan

Oh gosh perhaps I should not have posted at all or somehow been clearer in what I said. So in the hopes of clarifying and with apologies for anything I said that was hurtful to you…

You have your opinions, I have mine. We could discuss them here publicly, but first I think it would be inappropriate since the primary goal of this website is somewhat different. Second I think you would agree political discussion tend to become polarizing and toxic on both sides, and this is something everyone would like to avoid.

I totally agree!!! I don’t tend to get involved in political discussions at all, nor in politics in general to be honest. It’s just not my interest or my path in this life. Actually SC is the only blog I go to, and that’s because I often find the discussions about EBTs here fruitful.

according to this logic I am now representing forces of division and hatred and whatnot.

Oh gosh, not at all! I should have been more aware when posting on a thread entitled ‘the election’ might make it sound like this but please note ‘in a broader way’ in what I said:

'pain of grief when witnessing forces of division & hatred manifesting instead of compassion and wisdom (and I mean this in a far broader way than in terms of which party won the election)

We are certainly in agreement here:

I saw inordinate amounts of hate, greed and delusion on both sides in this presidential campaign. I saw a lot of hate, greed and violence among Trump supporters, I saw a lot of hate, greed and violence among Hillary supporters…I think that ascribing exclusively negative characterics to one side only is the least constructive perspective and the least successful foundation for a meaningful and fruitful dialogue between the two sides possible.

But I would not even want to describe it in terms of ‘both parties’. I have the same feeling (unpleasant) when I look inside my own heart-mind and see those forces (greed, hatred delusion) operating. So really my point was about the inspiration to practice, but obviously that must not have come through… :worried:

BTW, I would have been distressed to open up the site and see a banner with either Hillary or Trump on it, or either of their slogans, etc. I would have felt it was extremely inappropriate. To me the black armband was a symbol of sadness, which is what I feel about the division & polariziaion in this country. But after reading this discussion thread, I agree it’s best that it was taken down.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this wonderful article by Ven.Bhikkhu Bodhi, joy to read, as always.

With metta from white and cold Latvia,
Rudite

1 Like

Dear @rudite

Paldies un vislabākos novēlējumus, Metta, un palikt silts!

An. Michael

1 Like

Man, if only all the people in the US could talk like we can! @Anagarika made a good point, the watercooler is a cool place to hang out around :blush:

@Linda Sorry for misunderstanding you, my bad :anjal: I think it is partly because I so got used to being called really-really nasty names on the Internet just because I don’t share someone’s political opinion I automatically perceive things in that way when I come across a truly awesome person like you on a Dhamma forum. This is definitely something to work on on my part. It is so great we share this feeling of resentment because people can’t be accept the facts and prefer bickering each other instead…

At the same times, all the points I made in that comment are still valid and, I think, important, just don’t take it personally :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey guys,

Thanks for keeping it cool around here. I appreciate all you’ve said. I haven’t been saying anything because, well, if I get started …

10 Likes

You are awfully judgmental for someone who claims to be a practicing Buddhist.

I believe it’s a small minority of the electorate that is full of hate or negative views. Most are just ignorant and naive and uninformed… the victims of talk shows and reality shows and social media and thinking about their own needs and those of their families…People are overwhelmed with their lives and and many are desperate…

Tens if not hundreds of millions of people have lost good jobs which have gone abroad and now are out of work or working in low paying jobs with no prospects like fast food and chain stores…

As in the case of Brexit and the rising nationalism in Europe and elsewhere… Many people in developed countries are scared and don’t know who to blame… and so voted for a shyster whom they naively believed could save them… bring back the jobs, and hope for their children…(There is no way Trump can do what he promises.)

Trump is right that the Chinese have used the West unfairly …stolen huge amount of intellectual property and jobs…And there has been far too much immigration… The US has accepted a million legal immigrants a year for ages. Many are now on welfare or Medicaid. Add to this the illegal immigrants… And to promote diversity Americans have favored such people in their children, giving them a better chance to get into a good university or get a good job…it’s a recipe for social instability and resentment…but it came from well-meaning people.

The adoption of robots and AI and devices that will replace the work of millions …and global warming and the resultant ecological disasters and mass migrations will make the current instability seem paltry…

I absolutely disapprove of Trump and the rhetoric of the Republicans but this is a global phenomenon that will only increase as the global troubles increase.

How will your own country react?

Given how judgmental you are here…How will you?

I suggest you take a look at the graciousness, patience, compassion, tolerance and kindness with which President and Michelle Obama have faced a man and party who seek to dismantle all the good, important work they have accomplished in the last 8 years, and rethink your judgmental preachy attitude.

1 Like

To clarify this was a response to someone early on who made some very judgmental comments about Americans… I wasn’t responding to Sujato… though it is appearing here just now after his comment… I meant to reply to someone up above.

Remember the 2nd Sutta in Majjhima Nikaya, Sabbasava Sutta? In that Sutta, as you would know, Lord Buddha has discoursed 7 ways to abandon Taints.

We all know that the 4th way is to abandon taints by Enduring, Adhivāsanāpahātabbaāsava. What is a short period of 4 years when compared to the suffering that we have endured in this Samsara?

This doesn’t mean to say we shouldn’t help minimise suffering of others. We could offer more support to organisations like Global Buddhist Relief (of Bhikkhu Bodhi) , Suttacentral (to spred the Good Dhamma which is really needed at these times) & other non-government organisations such as Climate Council in Australia & other international organisations such as Oxfam. In my view, that way we could be of more help!

May all beings be well & happy!

5 Likes

Very true! Like, I had to endure 8 years of the Democratic presidency, before that I had had to endure 8 years of George W. Bush (this is where my opinion about the man outweighs my political views), and don’t even get me started on Putin. Come on, folks, it’s just eight four years!

2 Likes

Hey guys,

Let’s take it easy on ourselves and others if we appear or have been “judgemental”… Let’s not judge the judgemental or even judge the judgementalism of those judging the judgemental :wink:

If that’s you… don’t worry… no judgement :heartpulse:

Feel the love folks… :slight_smile: Love…Love…Love… :yellow_heart::purple_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::heartbeat::revolving_hearts::two_hearts:

Oh…and if I am, have been or will be judgemental… just send me some love back? Huh?

Lots of :sparkling_heart::gift_heart::heart_decoration::heart_exclamation:

13 Likes

That’s a great thought Kay. No judgment, of course :grinning:

3 Likes

@Sila
I have not found a way for responses to show up under the appropriate post (if anyone is successful with this, please tell me; I’ve tried different things). But If you use the @ and the person’s name at the top or within the message it will clarify whose post you’re responding to.

1 Like