On the eve of COP26

Here’s a stunning and very moving article on what it’s like to live as an Australian farmer under the current temperatures, which are up 1.18℃ globally.

The toll on farmers and the rural community is terrible, and it is only just beginning; there is no scenario where it doesn’t get much, much worse.

This affects everything: we all gotta eat. Here’s a recent roundup of current climate change impacts on global food supplies:

https://twitter.com/jimbair62221006/status/1433829191405826052

The Guardian, as always, has excellent climate coverage, so if you are getting your information about climate change from social media, or any Murdoch press, or, to be honest, almost any other mainstream media, you’re missing out.

And here’s an excellent interview facing the challenges with refreshing honesty.

one and a half degrees is unattainable — it’s not possible. The world has warmed by 1.1 degrees already. We know that there’s a permafrost carbon feedback that will add maybe another 0.2 on that. We know that if we do nothing but keep existing levels of greenhouse gases fixed at the present values, we’ve got a 0.6 degree warming. Really, two degrees is unlikely and it’s all hands on deck for three.

COP26 is starting, and it’s incredibly important. Here’s the current situation:

Weekly average CO2 at Mauna Loa

Week beginning on October 24, 2021: 413.90 ppm
Weekly value from 1 year ago: 411.63 ppm
Weekly value from 10 years ago: 389.48 ppm

How we’re doing

11 Likes

As an American, The Guardian and NPR are the only two sources I use for national and international news anymore.

Sad anecdote: my eldest 2 children are seriously discussing whether or not it would be ethical/moral to have children in the world we are presently creating. They are teens.

Teens shouldn’t feel having that kind of discussion is a necessity

7 Likes

I am so sorry. What have we done.

We had in February 2020 for the first time ever Water Alert Level 4 - the highest possible. No usage of water outdoors allowed.
When I moved to NZ, 13 years ago, rain was plenty and the land was green. Over the years (2013 for the first time) it began to be normal to have no rain for 3-4 months and the land is now mostly brown and dead in summer.

Around 2005 someone said to me “the next war will be about water” and I laughed. About 2006 or 2007 there was a request of a small town in Spain to urgently get water - the towns around refused and held on to their water…that’s when I stopped laughing.

3 Likes

Great news. That conclusion came to me when I was 8. The less people the better! :anjal: