One is resolved only upon the beautiful: this is the third liberation

Is there more between the 2nd and 3rd point of liberation? Could it be that we are missing something in between?

• Majjhima Nikāya

77. The Greater Discourse to Sakuludāyin

(SuttaCentral)

Buddha did always teach the Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta of the Form
1. Possessed of material form, one sees forms:
2. Not perceiving form internally, one sees forms externally

and then there is this jump from point 2 above to the next point?

(could there be another step like - not perceiving form externally, one does not see form?) - just thinking out loud

And then I don’t fully understand the below meaning?
3. One is resolved only upon the beautiful: this is the third liberation.
Is it the beauty felt from the liberation of point 1 and 2?
Let me know your thoughts?
Thank you

Metta to all

Just my opinion, the step you are thinking out lout maybe the whole series of point #4 to #8 just few lines below regarding the formless?

With the complete surmounting of perceptions of form, with the disappearance of perceptions of sensory impact, with non-attention to perceptions of diversity, aware that ‘space is infinite,’ one enters upon and abides in the base of infinite space: this is the fourth liberation. By completely surmounting the base of infinite space, aware that ‘consciousness is infinite,’ one enters upon and abides in the base of infinite consciousness: this is the fifth liberation. By completely surmounting the base of infinite consciousness, aware that ‘there is nothing,’ one enters upon and abides in the base of nothingness: this is the sixth liberation. By completely surmounting the base of nothingness, one enters upon and abides in the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception: this is the seventh liberation. By completely surmounting the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, one enters upon and abides in the cessation of perception and feeling: this is the eighth liberation. And thereby many disciples of mine abide having reached the consummation and perfection of direct knowledge.

1 Like