OpenAI Suttas

GPT-2 is a natural language machine learning algorithm built by OpenAI. I’ve been playing with Adam King’s implementation, and I wondered what it would do if I fed it the beginning of some suttas. See if you can spot where the Sujato translation stops and the AI kicks in! You may be surprised…

SN 22.95 At one time the Buddha was staying near Ayojjhā on the bank of the Ganges river. There the Buddha addressed the mendicants:

“Mendicants, suppose this Ganges river was carrying along a big lump of foam. And a person with good eyesight would see it and contemplate it, examining it carefully. And it would appear to them as completely round as a pot, round and round and round with nothing at all around; like a large, flat ball, round; like a small, circular stone, round; like a little wheel, round, round, round in circumference. But there is not something around it, nor anything round about it. Even as a boat is round, so too is the Ganges. So whether the boat or the boat is round will not be seen by a mendicant; nor whether the stone will be seen by a mendicant, nor whether the wheel. Even as water is wet but does not leak, whether water is wet but does not run, whether it is filled but does not leak, or whether it is full."

AN 5.52 “Mendicants, rightly speaking, you’d call the five hindrances a ‘heap of the unskillful’. For these five hindrances are entirely a heap of the unskillful. What five? The hindrances of body, feeling, perception, fabrication (or thought), and consciousness.

“In the same way, monks, when a monk discerns that ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world,’ he attains & remains in the first rapture & pleasure born of rapture. Then he recollects: ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.’ And when he recollects — ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world,’ — then that rapture leaves him, leaving behind only the pleasure born of rapture. That pleasure remains with him for an indefinite duration. This is the first rapture born of rapture.”

MN 103 so i have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Kusināra, in the Forest of Offerings. There the Buddha addressed the mendicants, “Mendicants!”

“Venerable sir,” they replied. The Buddha said this:

“Mendicants, is this what you think of me? ‘The ascetic Gotama teaches the Dhamma for the sake of the world, for the sake of others, for a world of a thousand or a hundred thousand Buddhas, “so as to live it. ”The world knows it.”

“For how long is it in the world? How long shall it go on going on, in the world of the gods? “In the world of the gods, with the merit of the good deeds of the gods, it goes on coming from the sky. It makes up in the form of the Buddha; it makes up in the form of the Dhamma.

“How long in the world of the gods, “how long shall it go on going on, in…

3 Likes

I love it. But just to make clear to readers who are unfamiliar with GPT-2:
there is nothing human level behind the model, it is a machine that can learn context from extremely large corpus, and can continue to babble random words that are related to previous set of words, when primed with initial information.

There is nothing to anthropomorphize here, this only means that the model was also fed with certain suttas, and was able to find relation between the sutta’s wordings.

3 Likes

Our computer overlords are not quite ready to take over.

5 Likes

It seems a little reminiscent of Monty Python’s “Boring Prophet”.

4 Likes

Haha, this is really hillarious :smiley: I haven’t had such a good laugh in a long time regarding budhhist jokes, thanks for that! :smiley:

This sound like it could be some profound mystical passage in some religious text :smiley:

“In the same way, monks, when a monk discerns that ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world,’ he attains & remains in the first rapture & pleasure born of rapture. Then he recollects: ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done.

Haha, that sounds like someone who has reached Nibbana and is like “okay, the task is done, time for fun, lets do some jhanas”… and then when he emerges from jhana “woah, the task is still done, good, lets get some more rapture born of rapture!” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like