Optimistic Nihilism

Does it make sense?

2 Likes

Well, not according to my understanding of Buddhism…

Overly confident personal ‘theories’ or ‘interpretations’ of Buddhism & ‘materialism’ ? :innocent:

The video is an excellent example of nihilistic philosophy in terms of lack of clear kammic principles, lack of Nibbanic life purpose & lots of self (atta) orientated narcissism. :camel:

Is it something we could attribute to any of the ancient Indian materialists of Buddha’s time? Maybe Ajita Kesakambali?

1 Like

I wonder if the roots of philosophy are deeply buried in theistic religious philosophy that most things are seen in relation to this. For example the issue of death. If there is a continued heavenly existence, it is considered the norm, and if there is nothing afterwards, a negative nihilism. If philosophy had been based on science (in an alternate universe) death without a remainder, would be the norm and maybe even seen positively as it would allow the cycle of life, regeneration and evolution?

with metta

2 Likes

I suspect all living things like have an innate drive to perpetuate their ongoing lives and avoid injury and death. If they are intellectual beings like us, those innate drives will also include the ability to recognize the various possibilities that might lead to death, regard them with horror, and devise complex plans, technologies and strategies for extending life. So it seems natural that mortal, intellectual beings will not regard the thought of their own death positively. We’re not built that way.

“All tremble at violence; all fear death.”

1 Like

Young people ‘full of life’ may wish to live for ever. But those who have lived long find the aging process, accumulated illness, disability, not to mention the loss of loved ones, no longer rewarding. Their voices aren’t often heard about what they think about prolonging life, or living eternally. The Buddha calls this the intoxication of youth, I believe.

with metta

1 Like

"Populate the universe with human"
This sounds like a phrase from the Bible.

The basic premise makes sense to me but it has no connection to nihilism. It isn’t incompatible with nihilism either or many other philosophies. In brief - optimism - is my glass of nonalcoholic grape juice half full or half empty?

I saw an end of life story that followed the euthanased death of an old lady. The law in this country where she lived allowed people to choose euthanasia if they did not see any point in living.

This elderly lady was not overly miserable but had decided after her daughter/companion had died that she was happy to die and be with her daughter.

She had simply arrived at a point where she saw no point or value in continuing her life in the way it was going. She was living in something like a retirement hostel situation.

The camera recorded her last days that were standard practice. Including breakfast and an exercise session before a death inducing treatment scheduled a bit later on.

There was no major concern about her decision - from the health professionals that sanctioned her decision - but lots of compassion and understanding.

The old girl was happy to be finished with her life - plain and simple. I would hope that many of us check-out with a minimum of fuss.

Depending on how we look at it our demise can be ‘Bigger than Ben Hur’ or not much of a loss? This does not mean we should be ‘casual’ about any life.

There’s a time when we can be of service and there’s a time to let go and move on - or out. Such is life!

It’s OK if people disagree with this perspective as long as they respect the end of life decisions made by ‘others’ - those who have sound minds. :slightly_smiling_face:

I never watched the famous movie “The Big Lebowski” until a few months ago. I’m so very glad I did. Instead of associating the term with pretentious and depressed people I now get a chuckle at it thanks to the movie.

1 Like