Original meaning of the word sangha and other related terms (looking for philological arguments)

Except that term doesn’t appear in the Pali texts.

There are the four kinds of noble person, but that they comprise one sāvakasaṅgha. The four groups consisting of monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen are called four-fold parisā.

7 Likes

Words are weird. ñātisaṅgha means “family circle”. But yes, normally Sangha is not used in Pali for a group of laypeople.

3 Likes

Good morning Ruben,
Would you mind supplying the reference for this extract?
Also, it would help our readers if you could add a line or two explaining how it relates to the “original meaning of the word sangha”. Thank you. :pray: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry I was replying to what Buddha was called. In what I sended the earliest inscription don’t that word what that scholar say. It was always something related to Buda. I didn’t make time to see the video. But does he have proof of inscription or something?

What I sended was screenshots of
An Old Inscription from AmaravatI and the Cult of the Local Monastic Dead in Indian Buddhist Monasteries

But let me send the correct screenshot related to how Buddha was named in early inscription

About the sangha then the Vinaya part I sended should be the name for Sangha. Since Buddha Probably most Vinaya durings his time.

But this says they are also called in inscription Theras, Bhadantas, Pindapitakas . Some forest-dwellers

Look many scholars want us to believe and youtubers that Buddhism has a Hindu roots. Because they believe the tricks Hinduism did. And it was making undated literature to show as if they had certain teaching before. I replied to a YouTuber that is explaining all Pali words as if they from Hindu religion. Some maybe is. But I think they are doing a long tradition of bringing down Buddha. It’s a few words. Like maybe sangha that came later. Then he is saying half truth of word . But still I read somewhere that it has roots in early monastic life. Don’t think Jains had monastery before Buddhism that another lie. So Sangha came from Monastic tradition in Buddhism. Then Jains started to make their monasteries also and also started using the word. But forest-dwellers was probably the first. Because that’s how they lived before.

Aranaka=forest dweller

1 Like

Search what word Asoka use. Because it’s in his period that Sangha is used. And that was the time of monasteries becoming popular. It’s in Brahmi script . Then search sangha in Brahmi script. You might find the root meaning

I searched how Asoka had it in his edicts . And it’s Samgha. In old Brahmi script. Translation with M with the dot under it. I noticed in the book that I find that Searching the meaning in Asoka time you might be closer. And I noticed also another word he used for Assembly. Which was purisā. So I think sapurisa. Might be the word used for someone part of the assembly. But I read it like Worthy but it might be interesting to search it futher.

For the convenience of those who might want to read it, Gregory Schopen - An Old Inscription From Amaravati and the Cult of the Local Monastic Dead in Indian Buddhist Monasteries | Epigraphy | Religion & Spirituality

3 Likes

Thanks. I shared screenshot because to share the exact page. But I didn’t share link. :pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4:

We always encourage people to give links/references to everything.
with metta :pray: :pray: :pray:

3 Likes