SuttaCentral

Pāḷi-Sanskrit for Lao is on 2019 Unicode V12

bodhi
pali
sujato
suttastudy
sanskrit
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc7b23e00b8> #<Tag:0x00007fc7afffbf80> #<Tag:0x00007fc7afffbe40> #<Tag:0x00007fc7afffbd00> #<Tag:0x00007fc7afffbb98>

Great news, now both the Pāḷi-Sanskrit for properly Lao writing is added on 2019 Unicode V12 (https://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0E80.pdf)

ຂ່າວທີ່ຍິ່ງໃຫຍ່, ໃນປັດຈຸບັນໄດ້ເພິ່ມທັ້ງປາລິ-ສັນສກຣິຕ ສໍາຫຼັບການຂຽນທີ່ຖືກຕ້ອງໃນພາສາລາວ ໃນ 2019 Unicode V12 (https://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0E80.pdf)

JaYasiri Bhikku | Facebook

Unicode%2012%20Lao2 Unicode%2012%20Lao4

Right, I saw this, it is excellent news.

Will it mean we have to adjust our Pali script conversion tools?

May be or may not, if the previously fonts of pāḷi lao are incorrect blocks (codes) when compare with the unicode V12, then need to change or convert to.

Great merit, the suttacentral.net add more scripts which is very useful. I have providing you my lao font which based on the latest unicode12 (JaYasiri Bhikku - Great news, now both the Pāḷi-Sanskrit... | Facebook). So, you can use this font on your site by mapping the lao script to display properly lao pāḷī writing on any screen.
Lanexang Mon4.woff (45.3 KB)
Hopefully, many lay followers will see the mahasaṇgīti in lao language at suttacentral.net. Please let me know if you need my help.

Dear ven, that is fantastic, thank you so much. I have made a ticket for this and we will add the updated font.

Normally we use Google’s Noto fonts for scripts not covered by our main font, Skolar. While Noto may not be the best designed font in each and every case, it has consistent style and metrics, so we can use many different scripts on the same site. Another advantage of the Noto fonts is that they come in many different styles—serif and sans serif, different weights, etc.—allowing for complex typography.

The extra 15 characters have not been added to Noto, but the issue is noted, and they are planned to be added in “Phase IV” of their development cycle.

This will take some time, however. They are currently 60% finished with Phase II, so we can safely say that Phase IV will be some years away.

So what I am wondering is, might it be possible for you to add the extra 15 characters to Noto? The license allows reuse with modification, so that is not a problem.

I have compared the metrics of Lanexang Mon4 (red) and Noto (blue.

As you can see, they are quite similar in weight and x-height. The line-height is a little different, but not too much.

Attached file for your references. The fonts Noto family allow to use only “AS IS”. Also, each font family they have different style & kearning, so after add the characters it may need some adjustment to match all characters, this issue it will be time consuming.

So, the easy way is to use my font for now until the font Noto available in the future, then you just switch it to the name of the Noto font.

Please let me know your feedback.

Okay, no problems.

“AS IS” refers only to the fact that no warranty is offered for the font. It’s not the license per se. From the Noto github page:

All Noto fonts are published under the SIL Open Font License (OFL) v1.1, which allows you to copy, modify, and redistribute them if you need to.

So it is possible to modify them. However, as you say, it’s better to wait for them to do the job.

Thanks once more for your work.

This is all Lao glyphs of font LanxangMon4 while replaced to the Noto serif lao blocks. The kearning is working fine with this block. And I can make the name as “Serif Lao”. Is this what you looking for?

I’m not sure! So you’ve added the lanxangmon4 glyphs to the noto font, so that it will have the shapes of lanxangmon4 and the metrics of noto. Is that right? Maybe it’ll work, we should test it.

Fonts SerifLao-Reg.zip (65.2 KB)

Yes, the metrics is of Noto possibility it should still and only the name of new 15 characters I follow by unicode12. The 3 fonts extension otf, woff, woff2 are in ziped file, test it out and please let me know the feedback.