Pali Reading Workshop 'The Questions of King Milinda'

The following course offered by the Sanskrit Library may be of interest to members (but note the high cost):

• Pali Reading Workshop: Milindapañha “The Questions of King Milinda”.

• UL111.

• The Milindapañha ‘Questions of King Milinda’ is one of the most celebrated Pali texts. It contains the dialogue between the Bactrian (Indo-Greek) king Milinda (Menander) and the Buddhist monk Nāgasena. Respected as a canonical or para-canonical text by all Buddhist traditions in the world, the Milindapañha represents one of the most brilliant philosophical dialogues of India. In this workshop we will read the first part of the Pali text, comprising the Pubbayoga ‘Story about the past’, the Lakkhaṇapañho ‘Questions on Characteristics’ and the Vimatipañho ‘Questions on doubts’, altogether ninety pages of the Pali Text Society edition by V. Trenckner. In our readings we will discuss grammatical points of the text as well as philosophical issues. Students will be requested to read in turns during the reading sessions.

• Instructor: Aleix Ruiz Falqués.

• Prerequisite: Intermediate level of Pali, or good knowledge of Sanskrit or Prakrit.

• Schedule: 21 June–26 August 2021.

• Course meeting times: Monday and Thursday 9:00–10:30am U.S. Central Time.

• Course fee: $2,000.

• Course materials: Materials will be provided by the instructor at the beginning of the course.

• Syllabus.

• Register.

Why is the cost so high?

Is that counted as selling dhamma?

I don’t know. I’m not associated with the Sanskrit Library in any way, so one would have to ask them.

I suppose it depends on how one frames the issue.
Did the Buddha prohibit this for lay persons? In SN 3.13, King Pasenadi received advice from the Buddha, and then engaged a student to memorise and recite the advice to him at meal times in exchange for payment. The Buddha apparently didn’t object to this arrangement.

1 Like

That is life, Bhante @NgXinZhao.
:grinning:

Ideally, Dhamma is not for selling. The Buddha are not charging anything for the teachings given until today. We got it for free.

But, reality is totally different. A lot of people giving Dhamma course and meditation course in order to support their family life.

I even know some people who develop several Non Profit Organizations (NPO) to get donations and to actually get a monthly pay-checks from each NPO. Can you imagine if he have 2 NPOs, how many per month is his take home pay? And, if he have 4 NPOs, wew?

And that is life, Bhante. :pray:

1 Like

I’m sorry to post something off-topic. But for $2,000 , a middle class person in India can live happily for a year.

2 Likes

I do agree @arkaprava … So do people in Indonesia, especially in small cities.

per participants for one session, wow … for a year sessions, becoming one of the ‘crazy-rich’ in here :grinning:

I don’t know much about The Questions of King Milinda. About 8 or 9 years ago I bought the translation by Rhys Davids but upon reading it, my impression was that it was like an extended teaching on Abhidhamma, so I didn’t spend a lot of time on it and it just sits on my bookshelf.