Pali word/term?

Does anyone know the Pali term for the worry someone may have for losing a sense pleasure or acquisition?

1 Like

Saccaṁ kira tvaṁ, bhaddiya, araññagatopirukkhamūlagatopi suññāgāragatopi abhikkhaṇaṁudānaṁ udānesi: ‘aho sukhaṁ, aho sukhan’”ti.“Evaṁ, bhante”ti.

“Kiṁ pana tvaṁ, bhaddiya, atthavasaṁsampassamāno araññagatopi rukkhamūlagatopisuññāgāragatopi abhikkhaṇaṁ udānaṁ udānesi:‘aho sukhaṁ, aho sukhan’”ti. “Pubbe me, bhante,agāriyabhūtassa rajjaṁ kārentassa antopi antepurerakkhā susaṁvihitā ahosi, bahipi antepure rakkhāsusaṁvihitā ahosi, antopi nagare rakkhāsusaṁvihitā ahosi, bahipi nagare rakkhāsusaṁvihitā ahosi, antopi janapade rakkhāsusaṁvihitā ahosi, bahipi janapade rakkhāsusaṁvihitā ahosi. So kho ahaṁ, bhante, evaṁrakkhito gopito santo bhīto ubbiggo ussaṅkī utrāsīvihāsiṁ.

“Is it really true, Bhaddiya, that even in the wilderness, at the foot of a tree, or in an empty dwelling, you frequently express this heartfelt sentiment: ‘Oh, what bliss! Oh, what bliss!’” “Yes, sir.”

“But why do you say this?” “Formerly, as a lay person ruling the land, my guard was well organized within and without the royal compound, within and without the city, and within and without the country. But although I was guarded and defended in this way, I remained fearful, scared, suspicious, and nervous.

• Ud 2.10

bhīta
ubbigga
utrāsa

Some good companion reading:

Iti kho panetaṁ, ānanda,vedanaṁ paṭicca taṇhā, taṇhaṁ paṭicca pariyesanā,pariyesanaṁ paṭicca lābho, lābhaṁ paṭiccavinicchayo, vinicchayaṁ paṭicca chandarāgo,chandarāgaṁ paṭicca ajjhosānaṁ, ajjhosānaṁpaṭicca pariggaho, pariggahaṁ paṭiccamacchariyaṁ, macchariyaṁ paṭicca ārakkho.Ārakkhādhikaraṇaṁ daṇḍā­dāna­satthā­dāna­kalaha­vi­g­gaha­vivāda­tuvaṁ­tuvaṁ­pesuñña­musāvādāaneke pāpakā akusalā dhammā sambhavanti.

Thus, Ānanda, in dependence upon feeling there is craving; in dependence upon craving there is pursuit; in dependence upon pursuit there is gain; in dependence upon gain there is decision-making; in dependence upon decision-making there is desire and lust; in dependence upon desire and lust there is attachment; in dependence upon attachment there is possessiveness; in dependence upon possessiveness there is stinginess; in dependence upon stinginess there is safeguarding; and because of safeguarding, various evil unwholesome phenomena originate—the taking up of clubs and weapons, conflicts, quarrels, and disputes, insulting speech, slander, and falsehoods.

• DN 15

Taking a totally different approach, there is that urgency resulting from understanding. It is the knowledge that everything will breakdown; and even though it can be accompanied by hair-standing-on-end terror, it is a fright that can lead to the right practice. Not sure if that is a direction you’re interested in exploring.

"Dukkha is:

“Disturbance, irritation, dejection, worry, despair, fear, dread, anguish, anxiety; vulnerability, injury, inability, inferiority; sickness, aging, decay of body and faculties, senility; pain/pleasure; excitement/boredom; deprivation/excess; desire/frustration, suppression; longing/aimlessness; hope/hopelessness; effort, activity, striving/repression; loss, want, insufficiency/satiety; love/lovelessness, friendlessness; dislike, aversion/attraction; parenthood/childlessness; submission/rebellion; decision/indecisiveness, vacillation, uncertainty.”

— Francis Story in Suffering, in Vol. II of The Three Basic Facts of Existence (Kandy: Buddhist Publication Society, 1983)

Thank you my friends in the Dhamma

I believe I wasn’t being clear enuff in my question, so let me begin again …The teacher I’m listening too that is teaching from a Theravada point of view is using a term for the hatred of pain that I am going to spell phonetically in English bc I’m clueless of the pali word as
(DOE-SA) the teachers first language is from Sri Lanka

1 Like

Dosa: Aversion; hatred; anger. One of three unwholesome roots (mūla) in the mind.

Mūla: Literally, “root.” The fundamental conditions in the mind that determine the moral quality — skillful (kusala) or unskillful (akusala) — of one’s intentional actions (see kamma). The three unskillful roots are lobha (greed), dosa (aversion), and moha (delusion); the skillful roots are their opposites. See kilesa (defilements).

1 Like

The Pali word you are looking for is certainly dosa.
There are actually two words that are homonyms in Pali,
dosa (from Skt doṣa) meaning:
corruption, blemish, fault, bad condition, defect; depravity, corrupted state

and dosa (from Skt dveṣa) meaning:
anger, ill-will, evil intention, wickedness, corruption, malice, hatred

The two words overlap quite a bit in meaning.

Thank u so much that really helps

1 Like

In practice if the path is followed then "worry someone may have for losing a sense pleasure " must be replaced by another feeling :

“Even though a disciple of the noble ones has clearly seen as it actually is with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, still — if he has not attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that[4] — he can be tempted by sensuality. But when he has clearly seen as it actually is with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, and he has attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, he cannot be tempted by sensuality.”—MN 14

You are very welcome.
Dosa is one of the major mind disturbances.
The word encompasses a broad field of unpleasantness…