Paramattha Manjusa

I got to know that there is a translation of Paramattha Manjusa by Nina Van Gorkom.

I asking help from this forum to find it. :pray::pray::pray:

It seems the Abhidhamma.org posts were captured by The Wayback Machine:

Not sure if there’s a nicer version somewhere…

1 Like

Thank you very much Bhante. In Ven Nanamoli’s translation of Visuddhimagga , it is said that Paramattha Manjusa says that Three Characteristics are “Pannatti Visesa”.
I wanted to know what it exactly means.
Could you please elaborate on it. :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Ah okay, I guess you’re referring to his footnote 4 on page 668?

Yeah, that quote is quite poorly translated, huh!

Like… I’m not convinced that “the three modes” referred to there are indeed the Three Characteristics. Since this is a comment on the line about “rise and fall and change”, I am more inclined to think the commentary is referring to these three modes.

Either way, it is saying that “the three modes” are not Real Dharmas™️ themselves but are rather just conventional designations for properties that the aggregates exhibit which are deployed here pedagogically. It’s clearly a very Abhidhamma-motivated distinction.

The Sarvastavadins (contra the Theravadins) believed in the Actual Existence™️ of the three times and this point, where the vipassanā meditator “directly witnesses rise, fall, and alteration” is one of their arguments for the three times being Real. So it makes sense to me that a Theravada commentary would go out of its way here to reassure the reader that the meditator at this point is just witnessing properties of the aggregates and not some special, additional reality.

BUT I invite those who are more knowledgeable on such matters to set me straight! I haven’t studied this in much depth :grin:

2 Likes

Yes Bhante. It is the footnote on page 668. Thank you very much for your input. This is helpful. :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

“These modes, [that is the three characteristics] are not included in the aggregates because they are states without individual essence;”

This means they are processes, similar to the meaning of the Chinese five elements, which is different to the Western four elements:

“The four elements are concerned with form, substance and quantity, whereas wuxing are “primarily concerned with process, change, and quality”.[13]

1 Like