Parinibbāyati achieved during life and not at the end of life and break up of the body

We are dealing here with very subtle point of Dhamma, and I don’t think introduction such terms as conventional reality, about which in the case of sakkaya Lord Buddha is silent, is neseccery.

So would you agree on such description: sakkayaditthi means to see oneself as a person (sakkaya)(he sees the body as a self … and so on) and surely as far as puthujjana conviction goes there is nothing conventional in being a person, neither there is nothing conventional in his attavada -attavadupadana- is very real phenomen, and in fact this is the tasks of the Dhamma Teaching: namely help him to remove it.

People are selfish, surely they see something what they take as a self and what they prefer over other things? No doubt it is only in presence of ignorance such self-identification is possible, but this simply means that notion of self is a deception and as deception it has to be removed from experience. Deception exist and is on the side of dukkha†.

And talking about attavada that it is convention and in reality attavadin does not exist isn’t very helpful to attavadin. Suppose I am a victim of attavadupadana and you want to help me. Would you say, friend in reality you don’t exist, because there is no such thing as a self; or rather you would say, now, friend you take for granted your self. But what in fact do you consider to be your self: body? feeling?, perception? intentions? consciousness? All these things are impermanent and should be seen as: this is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.

Do notice that attāvada is inseparable with sakkayaditthi and to go beyond sakkayaditthi one has to actively reverse it by self-disidentification: “this I am not, this is not my self”. But the attitude “I am” itself also is dependent on ignorance. Nevertheless such ignorance is very powerful that sekha still is a victim of it. Introduction of idea that conceit I am is merely convention and in reality conceit “I am” doesn’t exist, is absolutely unnecessary, and you cannot find it in Suttas.

Absence of notion of self is what distinguish sotāpanna from puthujjana:

“This world, Kaccāna, is for the most part shackled by engagement, clinging, and adherence. But this one [with right view] does not become engaged and cling through that engagement and clinging, mental standpoint, adherence, underlying tendency; he does not take a stand about ‘my self.’

He has no perplexity or doubt that what arises is only suffering arising, what ceases is only suffering ceasing. His knowledge about this is independent of others. It is in this way, Kaccāna, that there is right view. SN 12: 15

You idea about self as conventional reality can be translated as a teaching: friend while you are victim of attavadupadana and so you are imprisoned in Brahmajala, your imprisonment is a conventional reality…Your suffering is just conventional reality, ultimately there is no such thing as suffering.

But now you say, ‘If all things are characterized by dukkha…’ This needs careful qualification. In the first place, the universal dukkha you refer to here is obviously not the dukkha of rheumatism or a toothache, which is by no means universal. It is, rather, the sankhāra-dukkha (the unpleasure or suffering connected with determinations) of this Sutta passage:

There are, monk, three feelings stated by me: sukha feeling, dukkha feeling, neither-dukkha-nor-sukha feeling. These three feelings have been stated by me. But this, monk, has been stated by me: whatever is felt, that counts as dukkha. But that, monk, was said by me with reference just to the impermanence of determinations… (Vedanā Samy. 11: iv,216)

But what is this dukkha that is bound up with impermanence? It is the implicit taking as pleasantly-permanent (perhaps ‘eternal’ would be better) of what actually is impermanent. And things are implicitly taken as pleasantly-permanent (or eternal) when they are taken (in one way or another) as ‘I’ or ‘mine’ (since, as you rightly imply, ideas of subjectivity are associated with ideas of immortality). And the puthujjana takes all things in this way. So, for the puthujjana, all things are (sankhāra-)dukkha. How then—and this seems to be the crux of your argument—how then does the puthujjana see or know (or adjudge) that ‘all things are dukkha’ unless there is some background (or criterion or norm) of non-dukkha (i.e. of sukha) against which all things stand out as dukkha? The answer is quite simple: he does not see or know (or adjudge) that ‘all things are dukkha’. The puthujjana has no criterion or norm for making any such judgement, and so he does not make it.

The puthujjana’s experience is (sankhāra-)dukkha from top to bottom, and the consequence is that he has no way of knowing dukkha for himself; for however much he ‘steps back’ from himself in a reflexive effort he still takes dukkha with him. (I have discussed this question in terms of avijjā (‘nescience’) in A NOTE ON PATICCASAMUPPĀDA §§23 & 25, where I show that avijjā, which is dukkhe aññānam (‘non-knowledge of dukkha’), has a hierarchical structure and breeds only itself.) The whole point is that the puthujjana’s non-knowledge of dukkha is the dukkha that he has non-knowledge of;[a] and this dukkha that is at the same time non-knowledge of dukkha is the puthujjana’s (mistaken) acceptance of what seems to be a ‘self’ or ‘subject’ or ‘ego’ at its face value (as nicca/sukha/attā, ‘permanent/pleasant/self’).

And how, then, does knowledge of dukkha come about? How it is with a Buddha I can’t say (though it seems from the Suttas to be a matter of prodigiously intelligent trial-by-error over a long period); but in others it comes about by their hearing (as puthujjanas) the Buddha’s Teaching, which goes against their whole way of thinking. They accept out of trust (saddhā) this teaching of anicca/dukkha/anattā; and it is this that, being accepted, becomes the criterion or norm with reference to which they eventually come to see for themselves that all things are dukkha—for the puthujjana. But in seeing this they cease to be puthujjanas and, to the extent that they cease to be puthujjanas,[b] to that extent (sankhāra-)dukkha ceases, and to that extent also they have in all their experience a ‘built-in’ criterion or norm by reference to which they make further progress. (The sekha—no longer a puthujjana but not yet an arahat—has a kind of ‘double vision’, one part unregenerate, the other regenerate.) As soon as one becomes a sotāpanna one is possessed of aparapaccayā ñānam, or ‘knowledge that does not depend upon anyone else’: this knowledge is also said to be ‘not shared by puthujjanas’, and the man who has it has (except for accelerating his progress) no further need to hear the Teaching—in a sense he is (in part) that Teaching.

So far, then, from its being a Subject (immortal soul) that judges ‘all things are dukkha’ with reference to an objective sukha, it is only with subsidence of (ideas of) subjectivity that there appears an (objective) sukha with reference to which the judgement ‘all things are dukkha (for the commoner)’ becomes possible at all.
[L. 145 | 155] 2 July 1965 - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page

Sakkaya ditthi is explained in MN44.

It is not very farfetched to assume that all lifeforms are programmed to see body and mind as me, mine, my self. Otherwise they would not exist in the first place. Seen from evolution it is all very normal.

Now we can decide it is all ignorance, but why? Why is it ignorant that lifeforms instinctively prefer to survive in stead of dying or ceasing without anything remaining?

Because the body is not the self and does not exist in the way that ignorance believes it exists.

Ignorance believes that we acquire our body at birth or conception and it stays with us until we die. Ignorance believes that the body is a substantial thing that can be separated and distinguished in reality from other things. Ignorance believes that the body is self-sustaining and independent of what’s not the body.

None of this is true. They body is a completely dependent arising due to conditions and is constantly in a state of flux due to conditions that are also in a constant state of flux. The body cannot be truly distinguished from other things nor is it self-sustaining and independent of what’s not the body. We don’t acquire the body at birth or conception and release it at death. We are not our bodies and yet we cannot be distinguished as distinct from our bodies.

Dependent upon believing otherwise from the truth, suffering arises. We become attached to our body and crave its continued existence in a way that its utterly unable to exist at all. We grow angry at anyone that attempts to hurt our body. We crave for anything we feel is pleasant towards our body; for delicious food to nourish it. We fear anything that could hurt our body such as disease or illness. We dread the inevitable: the death and decay of the body. All of this is suffering and it is all based on ignorance mistaking the body for that which it is not and can never be.

Concerning this body,
he of vast wisdom has taught
that when three things are given up,
you’ll see this form discarded.

Vitality, warmth, and consciousness:
when they leave the body,
it lies there tossed aside,
food for others, mindless.

Such is this process,
this illusion, cooed over by fools.
It’s said to be a killer,
for no substance is found here.

SN 22.95

:pray:

I feel, what we need most is first of all just to accept this as completely normal. It is just normal that sentient beings are equiped with survival programs. We have them too. From an evolutionairy perspective it is completely normal and understandable.

The word normal means “typical or expected” and in this sense, yes, ignorance is expected. However, this does not mean that ignorance is necessary or advantageous. Precisely the opposite. Luckily, there is an escape from this situation rooted in ignorance.

Ignorance is not necessary for survival or happiness. Ignorance is the enemy of happiness and giving up ignorance is the way to true happiness.

1 Like

For mention of nibbana with/without remainder, see Itivuttaka 44.

Itivuttaka 44 (Iti44) Nibbana without residue!

Yes, I’m aware. Thank you. I don’t think that sutta says anything about the death of an enlightened being. :pray:

Really?
The stock passage is there. Fulfilled, laid down the burden, extinguished.

Basta, finito, etc etc.
(Have another look)

Yes, really. Shakyamuni described his enlightment under the bodhi tree in the same terms. The holy life lived, the burden laid down, complete extinguishment right there. Nibbana without remainder occurring under the Bodhi tree. The parallel is also in agreement. :pray:

1 Like

Perhaps you are claiming the Buddha is still alive ?
Or is this a semantical thing you are discussing?

The question is: why assume that the stock passage refers to the death of an awakened one?

Exists after death, doesn’t exist after death, both exists and doesn’t exist after death, neither exists nor does not exist after death.

If it was inappropriate to say the Tathagata was apprehended as real and actual in his very life, how could it be fitting to declare any of the above?

I think because it describes the extinguishment of an arahant.

Perhaps it depends on what one understands ‘extinguishment’ to mean.
It seems some may think there is something after extinguishment, but that seems to negate the usual meaning of the word.

It does. But why do you think this takes place with the death of a physical body and subsequent decay? Are you equating an arahant with a physical body? Residing in a physical body? Owning a physical body? Somehow apart or distinct from a physical body? :pray:

Define this something that you perceive others to infer? Physical bodies are perceived after extinguishment; do you contend otherwise? They are perceived after extinguishment with remainder and for extinguishment without remainder. Do you contend that corpses disappear from mere existence subsequent to the death of a physical body previously appropriated by one who subsequently laid down that burden?

You make an interesting point here; one I had never seen before. A relevant question though, I guess, is whether or not the conservation of matter/energy is a principle that applies to consciousness as well.

Conservation of matter/energy governs physical processes. If you believe mind and matter are interdependent, then I’m not sure how you could say that conservation of matter/energy doesn’t apply in some fashion to mind as well. Even those who say that mind and matter are of two different substances I think will admit that mind and matter are interdependent.

What’s more interesting to me is to consider how anything that is thoroughly dependent can ever be said to truly arise, truly persist, truly cease.

1 Like

Isn’t the Mahāparinibbāna sutta about this?

Three months from now the Realized One will finally be extinguished.”
Ito tiṇṇaṁ māsānaṁ accayena tathāgato parinibbāyissatī”ti.

You can find such usage more than a hundred times in this one discourse btw.

1 Like

Yes, it is.

There seems to be an attempt to redefine the word ‘extinguishment’.

1 Like

I don’t understand this sutta and cannot claim any insight into why it declares what it does over and over. My best guess - and it is just that a guess - is that Ananda who I don’t believe was an arahant at this time was quite attached to the Teacher and overcome with grief. The sutta seems to me as much about Ananda as it is about the Teacher. My best guess is Ananda was quite confused here like many are with a hard to understand point, but again it is just a guess and I would take it with a grain of salt. Probably a lot less as I’m quite fallible and prone to error. :pray: