Passadhi = pacification?

Is there any common indo euro root here?
Even if there isn’t, I’m going with that as my translation term. The two words sound similar, and it was always confusing in english, when you see, calm, tranquil, serenity, you never could tell if they’re talking about passadhi, samatha.

So I’m going with:
passsadhi = pacified
samatha = stilled (both words have S and T sound)
viriya = virility/vigor/vitality

pac·i·fy
ˈpasəˌfī/
verb
verb: pacify; 3rd person present: pacifies; past tense: pacified; past participle: pacified; gerund or present participle: pacifying

quell the anger, agitation, or excitement of.
"he had to pacify angry spectators"
synonyms:	placate, appease, calm (down), conciliate, propitiate, assuage, mollify, soothe
"go out there and try to pacify the passengers"
antonyms:	enrage
    bring peace to (a country or warring factions), especially by the use or threatened use of military force.
    "the general pacified northern Italy"

Origin
late 15th century (earlier (late Middle English) as pacification ): from Old French pacefier, from Latin pacificare, based on pax, pac- ‘peace.’

passaddha: calmed down; was quiet. (pp. of passambhati)

Passaddha [pp. of passambhati, cp. BSk. praśrabdha Divy 48] calmed down, allayed, quieted, composed, aṭ ease. Almost exclusively with ref. to the body (kāya) e. g. at Vin i.294; D iii.241, 288; M i.37; iii.86; S i 126 iv.125; A i.148; v.30; Vism 134; VbhA 283 (˚kāyapuggala). – In lit. appln ˚ratha when the car had slowed down J iii.239. See also paṭi˚.

2 Likes

This is how those words mean in the Sinhalese language.

1 Like