Patimokkha (dual language: Pali - English)

Hello friends,

I’m looking for any source (book, ebook, website) where is PATIMOKKHA in Pali with english translation. In our temple we intend to create small booklet for monks, that will be used during Patimokkha ceremony. Because the monks should chant the Patimokkha with understanding.

Can anybody point me to right directions?
:pray: I will share the booklet when it is finished!
Thank you.

1 Like

Welcome to Discuss and Discover dxcore35. :slight_smile:

I pasted PARIMOKKHA into the search field at the top right of the screen and found this listing, which will hopefully get you started: https://discourse.suttacentral.net/search?q=PATIMOKKHA

1 Like

Thank you for welcome. Actually that was the first thing what I did, but nothing really relate nor any topic contains some Patimokkha texts or books…

:thinking: I forgot to clarify that I just need translation into english, not the stories around the rule.

1 Like

Hello dxcore35,

I can’t tell anything about sources outside of SuttaCentral; I just don’t know, and maybe there are some.

On SuttaCentral, right now the Bhikkhu Pātimokkha is only available in Pali, but soon Ajahn Branhmali’s new English translations of the entire Vinaya will be added. So if you have a bit of patience you will be able to easily find the Pātimokkha assembled in one place.

If you don’t have the time, I am afraid, you will have to go through each individual rule in the Bhikkhu Vibhaṅga and extract the actual rule from all the surrounding text in both languages—which would probably keep you busy for longer than it takes for the new translations to be published… (hopefully)!

Once the new translations are on the site you will be able to view the English and Pali texts together side by side or line by line.

6 Likes

This might be helpful…
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Buddhist-Texts/V6-Patimokkha-BJT/index.htm

It’s just the Pali. You will want to have the monks review it very carefully because there are slight variations across different editions. They are insignificant, but it’s good if everyone is on the same page.

Ajahn Thanissaro has an English translation on his website that you could combine. If you contact their monastery they can send you little pocket size books with pali and English together. No need to print your own.

4 Likes

Dear Venerable Sir,

An English/Pali Patimokkha recitation text available for purchase would be PTS’s The Patimokkha translated by K.R. Norman. The paperback isn’t expensive, so should be easy to get a supporter to order for you. But it is slightly unwieldy for carrying around, due to containing both Patimokkhas (bhikkhu’s & the more lengthy bhikkhuni’s).

We bhikkhunis have a lovely little free-publication Patimokkha recitation booklet giving English on one page with Pali on the facing page - a blessing from Bhante Sujato. Since our rules include most of the bhikkhu rules, perhaps this digital version of the Bhikkhuni English/Pali Patimokkha booklet will give you a head start on creating a free handy English/Pali Patimokkha booklet for bhikkhus.
[Edit: Just re-read @Snowbird’s comment and see that you can perhaps more easily request them from Ajahn Thanissaro’s Wat Metta.]

2 Likes

As I previously mentioned in this thread on learning the Pātimokkha, you’re probably looking for this word by word translation

[EDIT: apparently the link to the original broke. Updated with a link to a copy]

1 Like

Hello, Thank you all for feedback. I’ve carefully reviewed all suggestions and links, but most of them are not helpful…From all your answer it seems that I have only to options:

1. Extract all rules from Pali version on Suttacentral and combine it with Bhante Thanissaro english translation.
  2. Wait for the answer from Bhante Thanissaro monastery about, Pathimokha booklet.

:lying_face: What really struck me how is that non of other monasteries have such Pathimokha booklet? How the monks attend the Pathimoka? if they don’t understand what is said in Pali?

There is a much-used book published by Mahamakut Press in Bangkok, edited by Phra Khantipālo and with the Pali text and Ñāṇamoli’s English translation on opposite pages. It’s just that there’s no digital version of it afaik.

2 Likes

Hi Venerable, the link [Edit: to the word analysis of the Patimokkha] appears to be broken.

I found the book by going to BPS website and doing a word search for Patimokkha. It is the Analysis of the Bhikkhu Patimokkha by Ven Nyanatusita (Ñānatusita), available as a printed book and as a .pdf, and I was able to download the pdf, but I can’t figure out how to get a direct link to share here.

1 Like

Oh! My bad! Thanks for bringing this to my attention Ayya!

I have updated my post with a link to a copy on Google Drive

2 Likes

Did you see my link to Bhante Anandajoti’s Pali version? If you write him an email he will most likely give you permission.

I would not recommend manually extracting it from the Suttavibhanga.

What tradition does your monastery practice in? This kind of matters because the Thai patimokkha and the Sri Lanka patimokka have very slight variations.

I believe the Ajahn Chah monasteries all use the printed book that I mentioned that is done by Ajahn Thanissaro. (BTW, you can call Ajahn Thanissaro directly. Instructions are on his website. That is the quickest and most direct way to contact them I believe.) There are not many other English speaking communities that would be reciting the Patimokkha. At the Bhavana society they used the Mahamakut Press in Bangkok edition. Eventually they used the PTS edition.

1 Like

Sorry for the slight derail… It might be better if instead of hosting documents like this yourself, you linked to the website where it is published. Often these documents get updated. At the very least, it would be great if you could include a text file in your google drive directories with links to the publisher/author.

2 Likes

The problem is that links break (as, indeed, is what happened here)

I appreciate that Reading Faithfully, DhammaTalks.org, and some other sites update their content now and then, but by and large publishers are updating their websites far more often than their eBooks. In a world where the content isn’t changing but the links are, it’s pretty useless to keep track of links, no?

1 Like

From all your answer it seems that I have only to options…

One of the options you don’t mention is to telephone Wat Metta (Ajahn Thanissaro) for a copy; if that can’t be done, perhaps due to long distance fees from your location, then getting someone closer by to call for free should work.

I’d be happy to place the call, just send me a message with the address where the book should be sent. Or ask any other American on this site, surely none would say no.

3 Likes

Thank you Bhantes!

I wrote to admin of the website, since it was in his scope for enquiring of new online material (in same time I also reported one corrupted audio archive :upside_down_face: ). He sent me back two PDF files: Pali, English, all of them are with neat formatting (like all Bhante’s Thanissaro books).

So now I have 2 sources to work on. One is this version of Patimokkha and another I have from Sunyo, called “The yellow book”.

Now our job in monastery will be:

1. Check the Pali and compare it with Myanmar’s Tipitaka, then correct it
  2. Edit layout (we want small and readable booklet)
  3. Make cover
  4. Print & post here online version for download :pray:t3:

Thank you all for the search and energy!

5 Likes

Sādhu to the good Western bhikkhus who wish to honor the Buddha by understanding the Pātimokkha!

5 Likes