Patimokkha rules explained

Hi everyone, I am wondering if you can help me.

I know that there is/are books which explain the reasoning of Buddha, why he established certain rules in the Patimokkha. Does anyone know where to find them?
If I remember right, Bikkhu Bodhi is somehow involved in these.

Thank you :bouquet:
Alex

Hi @Alex70. The reasoning behind the formulation of the Pātimokkha rules can be found in the Vinaya. (The link is to the Monastic Rules of the Theravāda school but there are others). Have a look at the vibhaį¹…gas (explanations) for the origin stories of the rules. Monks and Nunā€™s each have their own vibhaį¹…gas.

If youā€™re super interested, Volume 1 of The Buddhist Monastic Code, translated and explained by į¹¬hānissaro Bhikkhu, covers the material in great detail. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not familiar with Bhikkhu Bodhiā€™s work regarding the Pātimokkha rules but, as far as I know, į¹¬hānissaro Bhikkhuā€™s two volumes are the definitive guide for monastics and lay people.

I hope that helps. :anjal:

Tom

3 Likes

Venerable Brahmaliā€™s recent translation is available on Sutta Central, SuttaCentral.

5 Likes

And you can get Bhante Suddhasoā€™s translation here

2 Likes

Hi Tom.

Thatā€™s awesome! Thank you so much! :smiley: Those (Buddhist Monastic Code) were the ones I had read and was looking for. I just got the Bhante wrong :blush:

Have a wonderful day

With much metta
Alex :pray:

Thank you Gillian! Thatā€™s great and quite handy! :hibiscus:

Wow! Thank you Bhante. Thatā€™s an interesting site. I already saw two other things I am interested in.

With metta
:pray:Alex

1 Like