Phenomenology of meditation objects - how to describe pre-nimitta meditative experiences?

Not really. It is like someone saying they want to drive a car, and being told that they need fuel, wheels, and a steering wheel, rather than just a car chassis (body). Driving means knowing how all the components fit together and how to use them skillfully; from seat belt, to gears, mirrors, brakes, accelerator, understanding warning lights and what they signify is going on in the engine, etc etc etc.
So meditation is one of the components of the path, all others are necessary too :slight_smile:

It is called a gradual practice for a reason, and patient diligence to details is what works, especially as one progresses. There is a lot of wisdom in the suggestions given, don’t dismiss them lightly. It is one thing to assimilate intellectual knowledge, it is quite another to penetrate it and perfect it - it takes time :slight_smile:

Wishing you patient and mindful progress :slight_smile:

Panna leads to samadhi. Samadhi leads to panna. The entire path a progressive spiral, that uses itself as stepping stone. I appreciate that some statements are about insight, but that’s simply a reflection that states before nimittas are so preliminary that they are sometimes not mentioned much in the suttas. A kalyanamitta is helpful in guiding through these initial stages. But do keep asking your questions as EBTs are far from fully explored.

2 Likes

And yet, are your intentions uncaused and arisen spontaneously?

I’m just saying that intentions exist, and that they define our experience.
You seem to be parroting an intellectual position which doesn’t relate to actual experience.

That maybe how it seems to you. But I have been aware mindfully, of what the causes of my intentions are. And I see most mindfully, that yet again the Buddha is right. Intention, arise from a cause. That cause, is contact (phassa). If you don’t believe me, take a long mindful look at yourself and do it repetitively so that it’s not a spurious event. Don’t assume that what you already knew from before starting Buddhist practice is true. Don’t assume that since it is something old that it’s outdated. Don’t assume that something form the east is irrelevant now.

I’ve been practising satipatthana for quite a while, so please don’t patronise me.
The point is about intention, and how that shapes our experience. Clichés about conditionality are a red herring.

:slight_smile:

And this is one of the reasons why we don’t encourage personal practice discussions :slight_smile:

I believe the O P post has had a good meander from the title…, and links for further PMs or discussions have been made. As such, this seems like the right time to close this thread :slight_smile:

metta

3 Likes