SuttaCentral

Please, help - "Live" List of Pali Commentaries' English Translations

This is great! Thank you, Venerable!

This is not the Anapanasati-atthakatha. It’s just someone’s take on this sutta. And if I may add, a bad one. Here he is talking about the aruppa:

“One still has full awareness even when they reach the realm of nothingness. The mind does not waver or move away from the breath even though one hears sounds or knows that a mosquito has landed on them. The mindfulness of breathing and stillness are very clear and sharp to observe. When one is in the realm of nothingness, they can explore and watch many different aspects of the mind.”

05.18 Milindapanha Atthakatha by Jetavana Mingun Sayadaw (review by Tony Scott) (16p).pdf

Scott’s dissertation is not yet finished. The above it just an outline.

05.13 Apadana Commentary Visuddhajanavilasini

See also here: Apadana commentary (Atthakatha) by U Lu Pe Win. Aimwell.org used to host the Apadana-atthakatha. But it seems it’s not longer available. I still have it, but cannot attest to it’s quality. Ven Sujato comments:

“But this is Ledi Sayadaw’s translation of the Apadana commentary. Sadly, it doesn’t include translations of the verses themselves.”

(Petakopadesa doesn’t have a Pali Commentary hence 05.17 cannot exist.)

The Mula Mingun Zetawun Sayadaw in 1926 wrote an atthakatha to the Peṭakopadesa. I assume it must be in Pali, since it is a atthakatha, not in Burmese.

Since you are listing quite a lot of Vamsa-literature maybe you like to include the Anagatavamsa translated by John Clifford Holt as The Sermon of the Chronicle-to-be and by Saya U Chit Tin as The Coming Buddha Ariya Metteyya.

05.05 Suttanipata Commentary

A additional commentary to this work can be found here: http://www.aimwell.org/Suttanipata%20Commentary.pdf

1 Like

Thank you Bhante :pray: that’s a lot :joy:

You know I downloaded weeks ago, but I don’t understand. Is that a modern commentary?

Please be more specific.

I read the introduction. But I don’t understand it. Did they extract the commentary from old source or it’s contents is made in modern times? The introduction is not clear about it. For me then.

I’m sorry I meant the Suttanipata Commentary :joy: @Florian

Venerable, thanks so much for the list of references. It is a dense pack of information: may I suggest that it’d be more comprehensible if you formatted the list more clearly.

You may!

I’ve not heard anything like that. With copyright, the onus is on the claimed owner to notify someone. If the claim is genuine (which it often isn’t, there is a whole industry of false claimants), and if the one who publishes copyrighted material does not comply, they can then take legal action. It would take a lot to send someone to jail; I really couldn’t see that happening in Buddhism.

It is the case, however, that a Buddhist monk has been accused of copyright violations even for uncopyrighted materials, by other Buddhists. Go figure.

3 Likes

@Florian
Updates -

• I have removed ven. Vimalaramsi’s Anapanassati essay from the list and archive.org and added a note in the introduction.
  • I have added Petakopadesa Commentary into the Needed list. How could I forget it? I actually myself have the Pali version of it including verbatim Pali-Burmese translation.
  • Thank you for your further suggestion for non-canonical literature. Unfortunately, there is such a huge amount of these additional works and I wouldn’t like to fall into the rabbit hole of their immense quantity. Let me please stick to the non-canonical literature mentioned in the CST 4.0 software. We can possibly extend later, but not now, please. You may like to open a new topic with a list of those that are not mentioned in CST 4.0 and we can share there the translations. I myself edited the translation of Satthubimba Sutta, an important text for Rakhine people of Myanmar, which is used as a proof that the famous Maha Myat Muni Statue in Mandalay was made right in front of the living Buddha Himself. So, I am enthusiastic about this, but let’s do them separately.
  • Suttanipata Commentary added into the list and in the archive.org link.
  • added a disclaimer in the introduction that I cannot guarantee quality of any of the translations in the list.

@sujato
Thank you for the info about monks vs. copyright. So I will stop spreading the rumor… :grin:

Please, let me know how can I improve the list so it is clearer. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Sure! I’m not sure how this applies in the Internet Archive, but anyway:

• Use list notation for lists (which I see you have done already in the note above.)
  • Never use **strong** notation for headings, always use the semantically appropriate heading. Since the topic heading is h1, always use h2 for the first-level subheadings, i.e. ## subheading.
  • NEVER WRITE ANYTHING IN ALL CAPS. Except for abbreviations!

These are general tips. In addition, the entries would benefit from a little styling to help the eye distinguish the different parts. You might also want to add some more punctuation. Perhaps:

• 01 DN 01: Brahmajala Sutta, The Discourse All Embracing Net of Views — Bhikkhu Bodhi(OCRed) (372p).pdf
  • 01 DN 02: The Fruits of Recluseship, The Samannaphala Sutta and its Commentaries — Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS-Kandy, 2008 (1989) (197p).pdf
  • 01 DN 15: Mahanidanasutta Commentary - BPS Great discourse on causation — Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (82p).pdf
  • 01 DN 16: Mahaparinibbana Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished — Pategama Gnanarama Phd (236p).pdf
  • 01 DN 28: Sampasadaniyasuttavannana, Commentary on Sampasadaniya Sutta — Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

I’m not entirely convinced an extra set of numbers is needed for this. Note that in SC notation, these would be:

• DN-a 1: Brahmajala Sutta, The Discourse on the All Embracing Net of Views — Bhikkhu Bodhi(OCRed) (372p).pdf
  • DN-a 2: The Fruits of Recluseship; The Samaññaphala Sutta and its Commentaries — Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS-Kandy, 2008 (1989) (197p).pdf
  • DN-a 15: Mahanidānasutta Commentary - The Great Discourse on Causation — Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (82p).pdf
  • DN-a 16: Mahaparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished — Pategama Gnanarama Phd (236p).pdf
  • DN-a 28: Sampasādanīyasuttavaṇṇanā, Commentary on Sampasādanīya Sutta — Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

Tika would be DN-t.

Finally, the list could do with a careful proofreading. :pray: I’d also recommend always using the proper diacriticals.

4 Likes
  • applied heading tags, removed capitals
  • added diacriticals
  • proofread and corrected mistakes wherever spotted
  • applied styling

What else, bhante? :sun_with_face:

The link Pali Commentaries Atthakatha - English Translations Collection : The Great Atthakatha Masters and Translators : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive doesn’t turn into a clickable link in the first post. It does it here, not there… why?

This topic would be a better fit for the #wiki category, where the OP can be edited permanently and where the community can help updating the list.

3 Likes

I would not dare to underestimate the visitors of a wiki page, but I can say for sure that those who see the list here, quite many, are amazing persons who know things I simply can never imagine to know and sometimes provide incredible references.

But we could have this list in two different places and update the other one according to the one where anything was changed.

You are most welcome to setup this list in wiki and help me with the updates. :sparkling_heart:

What I meant was to simply move this topic from #translations to #wiki category on this forum, where the first post will be editable indefinitely by you and by other members.

I don’t have much experience with the commentarial literature, but I do know some markdown and I’d be happy to help format the text, make ToC and the like.

1 Like

Moved… now, what’s next? How do I allow you or anybody else to edit?

I’ve made your first post into a wiki. You’ll see that the edit button for the first post has changed, and it now allows anyone to edit it (for new topics created in #wiki category this would be automatic).

Edit: I’ve also edited most abbreviations using this list from SuttaCentral, and rearranged headings by collections rather than accessibility (for the purposes of ToC).

Please check the edits for any errors (most were done using Regex so there are chances something went wrong), and if there’s anything not to your liking by the new format it can be reverted to the previous version (but only in bulk).

And if you have any questions regarding Markdown, please ask, I’d be glad to help.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the links at Aimwell.org are not in a good state. I don’t know if these links are simply broken or have been removed on purpose by Bhikkhu Pesala. But the link in the Suttanipata Commentary pdf includes a link to the complete, albeit unedited, text. This link does not work anymore, so the pdf is only a preview.

I still have the files from Aimwell for the atthakatha to Apadana (403 pages), Suttanipata (657 pages) and Theragatha (671 pages) all by U Lu Pe Win. In th preface to the Suttanipata-atthakatha he writes:

This Sutta Nipāta Commentary, known as the Paramatthajotikā, in two volumes, as published
by the Buddha Sāsana Council, Rangoon, in the Union of Burma, constitutes the first two books
of the second assignment of six books made to me by the Aṭṭhakathā Translation Project of Burma
in the wake of my having successfully made my dhammadāna by finishing my English translation
of the five books of Aṭṭhakathā comprising two volumes of Apadāna Aṭṭhakathā, otherwise known
as Visuddhajanaviḷāsinī, two volumes of Theragāthā Aṭṭhakathā alternatively known as
Paramatthadīpanī and one volume of Therīgāthā Aṭṭhakathā also known as Paramatthadīpanī,
within a period of three years or thereabouts, completely, with my glossary cum index each,
respectively.

Bhante, maybe since you are in Myanmar you have access to the Aṭṭhakathā Translation Project books.

I have no connection to the people who make these translations.

Would it be alright to send me all the full versions by email, to monksarana at gmail dot com? You can decide whether I’d be allowed to share it or not. I am a very trustworthy person. :grin:

Superb. Thank you so much. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for all your work on this. It’s really handy.

I would recommend removing Ken and Visakha’s translation of the Jataka. As I understand it they just updated the Cowel translation on their own and then gave it to people who know Pali to make sure it doesn’t deviate too much. Since the Cowel translation is very available, I don’t see the need to include theirs. Also, they don’t indicate what is verse and what is commentary (at least in their most recent publication). About 9 years ago they expanded their original anthology to include much more. It’s a good set that I recommend to lay people. But as far as being a strict translation of the Pali, not so much. Perhaps others more knowledgeable could comment.

Also, I recommend ordering the KN as it is on Sutta Central, placing the more traditional sutta collections at the top. The traditional order I am familiar with is Khp, Dhp, Ud, Itv, Snp, Vv, Pv, Thag, Thig, Ja, but Sutta Central’s is slightly different.

Thanks for your work on this.

That looks really nice, thanks!

It seems to work fine for me.

The old translation is hardly this, either. I don’t know, the purpose is to render the stories readably, so perhaps it is better considered as an adaptation or derivative. So long as people know what they’re getting in for, I guess?

Well, the Jataka is further down, but apart from that it’s the same. For the record, the sequence on SC is taken from the Mahasangiti edition, although they organize a couple texts a little differently (splitting Jataka in two, for example).

• Khuddakapāṭhapāḷi
  • Dhammapadapāḷi
  • Udānapāḷi
  • Itivuttakapāḷi
  • Suttanipātapāḷi
  • Vimānavatthupāḷi
  • Petavatthupāḷi
  • Theragāthāpāḷi
  • Therīgāthāpāḷi
  • Therāpadānapāḷi
  • Therīapadānapāḷi
  • Buddhavaṃsapāḷi