Please keep reporting errors and typos!

The Mahavyutpati bu pm has “Sekhiya” in the headline of every rule.

“Mendicants, this relying on alms is an extreme way to live. The world curses you: ‘You beggar, walking bowl in hand!’ Yet earnest and gentlemen take it up for a good reason. Not because they’ve been forced to by kings or bandits, or because they’re in debt or threatened, or to earn a living. But because they’re swamped by rebirth, old age, and death; by sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress. They’re swamped by suffering, mired in suffering. And they think, ‘Hopefully I can find an end to this entire mass of suffering.’

‘Earnest people AND gentlemen’ or ‘earnest gentlemen’?

SN22.80 7th para

3 Likes

Or “the earnest and the gentle…”? :thinking:

2 Likes

In MN 61, I think the elision is not done correctly:

When you want to act with speech, you should check on that same deed: ‘Does this act of speech that I want to do lead to hurting myself, hurting others, or hurting both?’ …

The part in single quotes actually has more to it before you would close the quote. I have no idea if there are precise rules about these things, but to me it seems like it should be

When you want to act with speech, you should check on that same deed: ‘Does this act of speech that I want to do lead to hurting myself, hurting others, or hurting both? …’ …

OK, that’s ugly, I know. But there really is quite a bit cut out. Any way, just a thought.

3 Likes

Repro Steps:

1. Navigate to MN 105
  2. Turn on Textual Information
  3. Scroll to the bottom
  4. Right click (mobile: long press) on the “SC 19” paragraph ID
  5. Copy the link
  6. Go to that link in a new tab

Expected behavior: The page scrolls to the bottom.
Actual behavior: The page scrolls to the “Nya 19” tag.
Cause: The “Nya” and “SC” tags are both getting id="19"
Proposal: Ensure place tags get unique prefixes to avoid ID collisions

5 Likes

hi @Upasaka_Dhammasara, next time report any typo within this thread.

2 Likes

A typo in this version. Bhante Sujato version seems ok.

1 Like

I’ve been working on this very issue the last few days, it is resolved in upcoming release.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, will #19-style links break with that release?

Unfortunately, yes. I don’t know any other way of solving this problem. At the end of the day, as you pointed out, certain IDs are ambiguous, i.e. the same ID occurs twice. There’s no way to fix it without breaking at least some of them. And it’s better, I think, to bite the bullet, and recognize that it was a mistake to use unprefixed IDs in the first place.

This is what comes of having people doing this who don’t know what they’re doing! You realize I just figure this stuff out as I go, right?

If a client is pointing to SC, though, it should be possible to update the IDs with a find and replace.

2 Likes

Yeah, there is a way to preserve backwards compatibility with unprefixed tags but it’s a lot of work:

A lot of work

On a per-page basis, find the first occurrence of id="1"(…"n") and add an empty span at that point with id="1". This way users going to #1 will still end up in the same place as before, then just stop providing links to such places.

What I would do at a large, consumer[1] website is add logging first, to get some analytics as to the prevalence of these links. This will let you know how many people you’re about to break and to make an informed decision about whether to just break them or to do the more tedious fix that maintains compatibility with the old links. If you do decide to preserve backwards compatibility, this logging will also let you know when those old-style hits become so rare that you can clean up the compatibility hack.

[1] - at a large B2B website, of course, you’re likely to have an SLA, in which case you don’t need logging: just follow the “breaking change” policy outlined in your SLA

4 Likes

SN45.161 Searches

https://suttacentral.net/sn45.161/en/sujato

The noble eightfold path should be developed to completely understand …”

(This should be expanded with “completely understand” instead of “directly know”.)

“Mendicants, there are these three searches. What three? The search for sensual pleasures, the search for continued existence, and the search for a spiritual path. These are the three searches.

The noble eightfold path should be developed to finish …”

(This should be expanded with “finish” instead of “directly know”.)

“Mendicants, there are these three searches. What three? The search for sensual pleasures, the search for continued existence, and the search for a spiritual path. These are the three searches.

The noble eightfold path should be developed to give up …”

(This should be expanded with “give up” instead of “directly know”.)

:slight_smile: :sunflower:

Don’t open it, don’t open it … I opened it. Oh, the humanity!

If only we had Xanadu, none of this would have happened.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sure! Or else,

1 Like

Kira was expressing her skepticism that the project was ever going to work.

Kind of interesting, though, that the EU is now trying to enforce royalties for linking… perhaps Xanadu was just ahead of its time after all! :joy:

2 Likes

AN4.196:3.3: Yepi te, sāḷha, samaṇabrāhmaṇā aparisuddhakāyasamācārā aparisuddhavacīsamācārā aparisuddhamanosamācārā aparisuddhājīvā, abhabbā te ñāṇadassanāya anuttarāya sambodhāya.
AN4.196:3.3: And those ascetics and brahmins whose behavior by way of body, speech, and mind is not pure are also incapable of knowing and seeing, of supreme awakening.

Aparisuddhājīvā lackig in translation.

3 Likes

There seems to be an error in the last paragraph of SN 56.31

That’s why you should practice meditation …”

but the Pali is:

Tasmātiha, bhikkhave, ‘idaṃ dukkhan’ti yogo karaṇīyo … pe … ‘ayaṃ dukkhanirodhagāminī paṭipadā’ti yogo karaṇīyo”ti.

And Ven. Bodhi has

“Therefore, bhikkhus, an exertion should be made to understand: ‘This is suffering.’… An exertion should be made to understand: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’”

https://suttacentral.net/sn56.31/en/sujato

3 Likes

For my own memory, Nimal’s correction:

Yāvatā, āvuso, channaṃ phassāyatanānaṃ gati tāvatā papañcassa gati;
yāvatā papañcassa gati tāvatā channaṃ phassāyatanānaṃ gati.

Bhante Sujato’s translation;
The scope of the six fields of contact extends as far as the scope of proliferation.
The scope of proliferation extends as far as the scope of the six fields of contact.

Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation;
As far as the six bases for contact extends, just so far extends the range of proliferation.
As far as the the range of proliferation extends, just so far extends the range of the six six bases for contact.

I think the two sentences of Bhante Sujato’s translations need to be interchanged ie; first is second and the second is first.

3 Likes

The word ‘all’ should be italicised in the passages below, but are still in mark-down text with asterisks.

2 Likes