Please keep reporting errors and typos!

Missing out the mention of the various levels of heaven where the gift giver can be reborn while abbreviating AN7.52 has resulted in a loss of meaning for the entire sutta. Surely the point is to show how different kinds of intention while giving gifts produce different results? The different results obtained (viz different levels of heaven) require to be mentioned.

To discuss not to discussion mn98

2 Likes

Dhammapadda Taṇhāvagga 334-359 | “A persons’s joy” | Might need to be changed to: “A person’s joy”

Iti 79 | “That’s why one ought have few duties” | Might need to be changed to: " … ought to have … "

AN 10.51 | In the title there is “One’S” which might need to be changed to “One’s”

2 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pc14/en/brahmali

A footnote bled through?

I found the repetition of the verse Dhp 416, too. By investigating about the meaning of what appears like a title i.e. “Jaṭilattheravatthu” and “Jotikattheravatthu” I found this: Buddhist Legends, XXVI. 33. Jotika and Jaṭila
and this: Buddhist Legends, XXVI. 34. Ajātasattu attacks Jotika’s Palace respectively. So what appears as if to be a title of the verse seems to be the title of a story associated with the verse, hence in this case two stories to one verse. What I find to be a failing in this edition of Dhammapada and translations too, is the absence of numbering of verses. Otherwise the duplicity of the verse in question would be apparent.

1 Like

The likely erroneous parts are italicized.

Iti 21
“For corruption of mind is the reason sentient beings go to a good place”

Iti 23
“this live

Iti 33
“A person who has these two qualities is is raised up to heaven”.

AN6.93:1.3: Abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci saṅkhāraṁ niccato upagantuṁ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci saṅkhāraṁ sukhato upagantuṁ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci dhammaṁ attato upagantuṁ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo ānantariyaṁ kammaṁ kātuṁ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kotūhalamaṅgalena suddhiṁ paccāgantuṁ, abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo ito bahiddhā dakkhiṇeyyaṁ gavesituṁ.
A person accomplished in view can’t take conditions to be permanent, happiness, or self. They can’t do deeds with fixed result in the next life. They can’t fall back on purification through noisy, superstitious rites. They can’t seek outside of the Buddhist community for those worthy of religious donations.

In abhabbo diṭṭhisampanno puggalo kañci dhammaṁ attato upagantuṁ the Pali has dhamma, not sankhara. So it should be “they can’t take things as self”, not conditions.

1 Like

I thought I had seen this one somewhere, but can’t find it now, so am repeating it:

AN 6.100 blurb:
A mendicant on the path cannot see any thing as not-self.

Should be: A mendicant on the path cannot see any thing as self.

1 Like

The description for SN 56.8 here says, “Don’t think reflect in useless ways.” This should probably read “Don’t think in useless ways” or “Don’t reflect in useless ways.”

2 Likes

añjalikaraṇīyo is sometimes translated as “worthy of veneration with joined palms” and sometimes as “worthy of greeting with joined palms”.

AN7.4:3.2: Idha, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako āraddhavīriyo viharati akusalānaṁ dhammānaṁ pahānāya, kusalānaṁ dhammānaṁ upasampadāya, thāmavā daḷhaparakkamo anikkhittadhuro kusalesu dhammesu.
It’s when a mendicant lives with energy roused up for giving up unskillful qualities and embracing skillful qualities. They’re strong, staunchly vigorous, not slacking off when it comes to developing skillful qualities.

Should be “noble disciple” instead of “mendicant”. The same in segment 7.2.

The blurbs to AN 7.5 and AN 7.6 say:

The wealth of faith, energy, conscience, prudence, learning, generosity, and wisdom.

But in both these Suttas it talks about ethical conduct instead of energy.

1 Like

Only because I know Bhante cares about typography. If you look at how the word “fifteenth” is hyphenated you can see that the f and t seem to have some kind of ligature even though they are broken by a hyphen.

21-05-19 10_53_44-SN 8.7_ Pavāraṇāsutta—Bhikkhu Sujato — Mozilla Firefox21-05-19 10_53_48-SN 8.7_ Pavāraṇāsutta—Bhikkhu Sujato — Mozilla Firefox

[I’m seeing this on FireFox, Windows. Playing around I can see that it looks ok on Chrome. Sorry, probably wouldn’t have posted if I knew that. Any way, I’ll leave it up.]

1 Like

Hmm, looks OK for me… Very strange…

Same passage, two different translations:

AN4.33:2.3: Yepi te, bhikkhave, devā dīghāyukā vaṇṇavanto sukhabahulā uccesu vimānesu ciraṭṭhitikā, tepi tathāgatassa dhammadesanaṁ sutvā yebhuyyena bhayaṁ saṁvegaṁ santāsaṁ āpajjanti:
Now, there are gods who are long-lived, beautiful, and very happy, lasting long in their divine palaces. When they hear this teaching by the Realized One, they’re typically filled with fear, awe, and terror.

SN22.78:2.7: Yepi te, bhikkhave, devā dīghāyukā vaṇṇavanto sukhabahulā uccesu vimānesu ciraṭṭhitikā tepi tathāgatassa dhammadesanaṁ sutvā yebhuyyena bhayaṁ saṁvegaṁ santāsaṁ āpajjanti:
SN22.78:2.7: Now, there are gods who are long-lived, beautiful, and very happy, living for ages in their divine palaces. When they hear this teaching by the Realized One, they’re typically filled with fear, awe, and terror.

There are some inconsistencies with this phrase across several suttas:

AN7.6:6.2: Idha, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako bahussuto hoti sutadharo sutasannicayo. Ye te dhammā ādikalyāṇā majjhekalyāṇā pariyosānakalyāṇā sātthaṁ sabyañjanaṁ kevalaparipuṇṇaṁ parisuddhaṁ brahmacariyaṁ abhivadanti. Tathārūpāssa dhammā bahussutā honti dhātā vacasā paricitā manasānupekkhitā diṭṭhiyā suppaṭividdhā.
It’s when a noble disciple is very learned, remembering and keeping what they’ve learned. These teachings are good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end, meaningful and well-phrased, describing a spiritual practice that’s entirely full and pure. They are very learned in such teachings, remembering them, reciting them, mentally scrutinizing them, and comprehending them theoretically.

In some places, instead of “reciting them” it says “reinforcing them by recitation”. I guess this is supposed to render the term vacasā paricitā? Examples are DN 33, DN 34, AN 4.22, AN 5.87, AN 5.88, AN 5.96, AN 5.109, AN 5.134, AN 5.232; in AN 5.233 it says again “reciting them”, as well as in AN 5.234, AN 5.47, AN 5.136, and maybe others that I haven’t translated yet.

Then there is the curious case of AN 5.88, where the Pali has an inconsistency: Instead of suppaṭividdhā, the last word is appaṭividdhā, which does actually mean the opposite! :open_mouth:

MN140:34.1: “Labheyyāhaṁ, bhante, bhagavato santike upasampadan”ti.
“Sir, may I receive the going forth, the ordination in the Buddha’s presence?”

The Pali doesn’t have the “going forth”, only the “ordination”.

I think a translation of MN 136 attributed to Thanissaro Bhikkhu was done by Ñanamoli Thera.

MN 136 (author stated as Thanissaro Bhikkhu)
https://suttacentral.net/mn136/en/thanissaro

=======================

By Ñanamoli Thera (on ATI)
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.136.nymo.html

By Thanissaro Bhikkhu (on ATI)
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.136.than.html

By Thanissaro Bhikkhu (on dhammatalks.org)
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/MN/MN136.html

:heart:

The final chunk of SN46.54 is inconsistent with the preceding three. It feels like the :small_blue_diamond: marker…

What is its destination, apex, fruit, and end? :small_blue_diamond: and equanimity, which rely on

…should be either “It’s when a mendicant develops etc” or else “…” to indicate the contraction.

I find three different spellings for King Ajātasattu’s kingdom in Bhante Sujato’s translations:

• Magadha
  • Māgadha
  • Magadhā

For sārandada cetiya we find:

• Sārandada shrine
  • Sārandada Tree-shrine
  • Sārandada woodland shrine

AN7.29:1.6: appasādabahulo hoti,
They’re very suspicious about mendicants, whether senior, junior, or middle.
AN7.29:1.7: bhikkhūsu theresu ceva navesu ca majjhimesu ca upārambhacitto dhammaṁ suṇāti randhagavesī,
They listen to the teaching with a hostile, fault-finding mind.

It seems the “mendicants, whether senior, junior, or middle” belong rather to 1.7, not to 1.6? Or is the Pali segment break misleading?

Comparing to passages like

AN5.250:1.6: Bhikkhūsu appasādabahulo hoti.
They lose much of their faith in mendicants.

it’s perhaps rather the second.

piyo ca manāpo ca is sometimes translated “dear and beloved”, sometimes “liked and approved”.

2 Likes

Hi, I reported this inconsistency on 28 March, but noticed today it has not been fixed. Is there usually a time delay of few weeks or was it forgotten? Anyway, here it is again:

SN 1.1:
“Good sir, how did you cross the pond?”
“kathaṁ nu tvaṁ, mārisa, oghamatarī”ti?

“Neither standing nor swimming, sir, I crossed the flood.”
“Appatiṭṭhaṁ khvāhaṁ, āvuso, anāyūhaṁ oghamatarin”ti.

1 Like

Dear Team at SC, first of all very grateful to have all the Dhamma at fingertips thanks to all your hard work _/_

AN 8.6 - noticed that praise and blame seems to have been swapped in the translation and on SC Voice.

Metta & Gratitude

https://suttacentral.net/iti64/en/sujato
“Mendicants, there are these three faculties.
“Tīṇimāni, bhikkhave, duccaritāni.
What three? Katamāni tīṇi?
Bad conduct by way of body, speech, and mind. Kāyaduccaritaṁ, vacīduccaritaṁ, manoduccaritaṁ—
These are the three faculties.”
imāni kho, bhikkhave, tīṇi duccaritānī”ti.

Looks like a copy paste error

1 Like

fixed

fixed

use “vulnerability” in both cases

So the rule should be:

• if tuṇhībhūtaṁ is repeated, translate “so very silent” (i.e. repetition is emphatic)
  • use mendicant except if it is in a formal sanghakamma situation, there use “monks”.

I have corrected accordingly.

Indeed, well spotted

Right, also in dn14, an4.21, mn99, mn87, mn85, mn91, mn26, mn27 :flushed:

fixed!

No, here it is abrahmacariyā veramaṇī lit. "what is not the holy path*, i.e. not being celibate, i.e. any sexual activity. Disappointing for some, I know!

yes, thanks, fixed!

that’s an6.46, and it also occurs in mn50

The variant reading is appamādaviharino, and the same reading is found in iti81 and thag17.2.

Hmm, I see the problem, but not sure if it’s worth changing. It’s usually, “there are these four X, what four?” I dunno, it seems like it should be clear from context.

Well spotted, but this is an error in the MS and VRI editions, the sense clearly requires the na to be absent. It is in fact absent in the PTS edition, as well as Ven Bodhi’s translation.

3 Likes