Please report any errors or typos!

No, it talking about the process of rebirth.

1 Like

Yest it is the third attainment.

My qestion is about the fourth attainment.
:smiley:

Sorry, my confusion! The point of the fourth case is that the arahant’s consciousness is not established either in this life or the next.

“Established” is a philosophical term meaning based in greed/hate/delusion. By being “not established” means it is not “planted” in the soil of greed/hate/delusion, so it doesn’t contain the potential for giving rise to suffering in the future.

3 Likes

Thanks.
I could not get the same explanation when I read your translation. Perhaps it is my own comprehension issue. I just thougt of pointing to you. I think this is a very important fact in understadning Dependent Origination specially in relation to the consciousness of an Arahant.

MN 29 Mahāsāropamasutta

Suttaplex card:

It should be the longer simile of the heartwood (in the sutta itself the title is correct).

#sc2.10: “If person with good eyesight saw him they’d say”
Should be: If a person with good eyesight…

The same again at #sc3.14, sc8.2, sc11.2, sc14.2.

#sc7.15: “And so they become indulgent and fall into negligence regarding that accomplishment in immersion And being negligent they live in suffering.”

Full stop is lacking after immersion.

2 Likes

Typo at: SuttaCentral

“Saṁkassato Kaṇṇakujja” should read “Saṁkassa to Kaṇṇakujja”

2 Likes

Fixed!

Fixed!

Fixed!

Fixed!

Thanks all. These and some thousands of other corrections and updates are ready to go live and should be pushed through very soon.

@SarathW1 I agree the translation could be better, I will give it some thought.

5 Likes

@sujato

I am reading DN 33 and found the following description is not in Bhante Sujato’s translation.
I found the same description in Maurice Walshe translation as well.
Why?

=========
Other three species of concentration:—concentrative insight into ‘emptiness,’ ‘signlessness,’ ‘end of baneful longing.’

Thanks for pointing this out, the translation has been done, but it seems there are some bugs in the file. Let us see if we can fix it.

https://suttacentral.net/mn144/en/sujato#11.7

When there’s no coming and coming there’s no passing away and reappearing.

In this description it uses the spelling “dependant origination”. In the description of the Nidanavagga it uses the “ent” spelling. From what I can tell the “ant” is used in British English, usually for the noun, but not consistently. IMHO, it is better for search-ability if the ent spelling is used throughout.

BTW, I really had to dig to find this text on the web site. I only saw it because it is used in the auto generated ebook.

Thanks, fixed.

Also fixed.

Ahh, yes, this was a casualty of a change we made in the navigation. I’ll see if we can get it back.

I assume you know this, but just for reference, all the descriptions, aka “blurbs” are kept here:

1 Like

There is some pali leak in translation (Bhagavā avoca What do you think, Poṭṭhapāda? Have you ever heard of this before?” …)

2 Likes

Oops! I have fixed this.

Life Span (1st) but Long Life (2nd). Is that intentional? It also appears that the vagga name is different causing the vagga name to appear twice in the auto generated epub.

https://suttacentral.net/sn4.23/en/sujato

the vagga name changes from "3. Māra " to “3. Rule”

The following all relate to the generation of epubs:
For some reason in the Sakka Saṃyutta (https://suttacentral.net/sn11) the first two vagga headings don’t get inserted into the epub file. But the third one does. It looks fine on the front end of the website.

Same problem in the Anamatagga, Rahula, Lakkhana, Asaṅkhatasaṁyutta and Lābhasakkāra Saṃyutta with all vagga headings missing.

for https://suttacentral.net/sn45.170/en/sujato, I wonder if there should be a note explaining why there is a sutta name in the middle of the page. When doing reformatting of the epubs, this gets caught.

In https://suttacentral.net/sn50, the first five vagga headings don’t end up in the epub. I realize there is only one file under each of these, but shouldn’t it be there for consistency? (it is in the previous samyutta)

Same problem in SN53. As well, in this samyutta, the sutta names do not included the range of numbers as they do in the previous samyutta.

It looks like there are “hidden” suttas in https://suttacentral.net/sn46.57/en/sujato and I wonder if there should be mention of this in the description.

1 Like

Thanks, fixed.

Also fixed.

Umm, okay, I have no idea what’s going on here.

I have made a note for this and the similar case you mention below.

Good point, actually. Sometimes <h2> headings inside suttas are for subheadings, and sometimes they are for cases like this, a subsidiary sutta. We should have a CSS class that distinguishes the two uses, which can be used for the EPUBs. It’s not hard to do: all the former cases are in DN and MN, the latter in SN and AN.

For the other details you mention, I’ll add them to a github issue and we’ll address them at the programming level when we can.

1 Like

I’m assuming you mean you don’t understand why. If you need clarification, let me know.

Yes. In cleaning up the epubs of SN and AN, the vaggas seem to always be just in p tags. But because of the surrounding code I’m able to change them to h2. I haven’t even looked at the DN and MN auto gen files yet.

That’s right.

So, in the SN epub, to make them easier to navigate, I make the 56 samyuttas h1, the vaggas h2, and the individual suttas h3.

In the auto generated texts, the individual suttas are h1 and nothing else has a heading, except for those few cases you mention.

From my side there is no problem, I’ve manually added the missing vaggas into the epub. I was just mentioning what I am doing with them.

1 Like

Okay, that’s fine; I deleted my comment when I saw the file and how nice it looks!

What would be good at some point is if you could document the changes and adjustments you’re making, and they can ultimately be incorporated directly in the EPUB export. You can leave these here: