Please report any errors or typos!

This may not be a typo, but it doens’t need its own thread. SuttaCentral

Then the wardens of hell punish them with the five-fold crucifixion.

In Ven Nyanamoli’s translation it says “now” instead of “then”. I realize that “then” may be more consistent, however it implies a transition that isn’t really there. It seems like maybe in the text itself the transition is not clear, but to me, the “then” makes it feel like there is something missing in the text. However, maybe you feel like there is indeed a gap and decided to reflect this in the translation. I’d be curious to know if that is the case.

But as a reader, it stands out.

1 Like

In MN73 there is this Pali fragment that appears to be untranslated: SuttaCentral

SC19.3
tatra tatreva sakkhibhabbataṃ pāpuṇissasi, sati satiāyatane. (1)

The previous paragraph reads:
‘May I wield the many kinds of psychic power: multiplying myself and becoming one again; appearing and disappearing; going unimpeded through a wall, a rampart, or a mountain as if through space; diving in and out of the earth as if it were water; walking on water as if it were earth; flying cross-legged through the sky like a bird; touching and stroking with my hand the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful; controlling my body as far as the Brahmā realm.’

Bhikkhu Bodhi has:

“To the extent that you may wish: ‘May I wield the various kinds of supernormal power: having been one, may I become many; having been many, may I become one; may I appear and vanish; may I go unhindered through a wall, through an enclosure, through a mountain, as though through space; may I dive in and out of the earth as though it were water; may I walk on water without sinking as though it were earth; seated cross-legged, may I travel in space like a bird; with my hand may I touch and stroke the moon and sun so powerful and mighty; may I wield bodily mastery even as far as the Brahma-world’—you will attain the ability to witness any aspect therein, there being a suitable basis.[728]

Is the bolded part in the Bodhi text a translation of the Pali fragment I quoted above, or is the fragment subsumed into the following paragraphs in the Sujato translation?

In either case, the formatting is a little odd.

:heart:

1 Like

MN22:

“Silly man, who on earth have you ever known me to teach in that way?

I suppose there should be “why on earth”… ?
I’m not sure but I thought it is worth to put into attention.

Also not the suttas, but SuttaCentral numbering information page, there is sentence:

Two editions for SN volume 1

For Volume i of SN, Sagātha-Vagga, there are two sets of volume/page numbers for each sutta.

I suppose it should be “For Volume I of SN” with Capital “I”.

:anjal: :slight_smile:

Number of texts in the Khuddakapātha and other KN collections

I read here that there are 8 texts in the Kp. When looking here I see actually 9.

Similarly for the Udāna: It has many more than 8 texts.

1 Like

SN55.24

They have laughing wisdom and swift wisdom, and are endowed with freedom.
hāsapañño javanapañño na ca vimuttiyā samannāgato.

Shouldn’t this mean ‘not endowed’?

Thanks, I have corrected this.

(The blurbs says “eighty”!)

1 Like

Indeed! Sometimes … :see_no_evil:

Thanks!

@mikenz66’s report made 23 days ago hasn’t garnered any likes other than mine, and I’m concerned it may be getting ignored due to misunderstanding. His post began:

quote=“mikenz66, post:579, topic:9548”]
In MN73 there is this Pali fragment that appears to be untranslated: SuttaCentral

SC19.3
tatra tatreva sakkhibhabbataṃ pāpuṇissasi, sati satiāyatane. (1)

(He went on to give context and a complete translation.)

He didn’t mention a total of 6 occurrences of the same phrase in the discourse, perhaps giving the impression that he didn’t understand the formatting or overlooked the translation in another part of the shirts. However, he’s right that at no point in the discourse does it get translated.

It’s actually a rather important phrase to caution practitioners in their expectations, so not something ok to omit.

[Edited to finish drafting after accidentally sending too soon]

2 Likes

MN109 paragraph 5 is accidentally a word (or is intentionally translated into pirate-English):

That’s how there be different kinds of desire
~ :pirate_flag:

1 Like

It could have been spoken by a pirate, we can’t say for sure!

Sorry if I have been inattentive, but please be assured that nothing on this thread will be ignored. I am waiting for the current round of updates to be ready for the site, at which time I’ll review all the suggestions here and make the changes. I’m hoping this will be weeks rather than months.

5 Likes

Hope this is the right thread.

On my phone - Samsung galaxy s7 using latest Firefox.

If the title is too long to fit the screen, the menu hamburger disappears.

Portrait:

Landscape:

Note this works fine on Chrome but I just wanted to make you aware of it.

1 Like

It’s ridiculously tricky to get this stuff right! We’re working on an update, hopefully it will fix this.

3 Likes

In DN 24 the same sentence is translated slightly differently in two cases:

kālakañcikā nāma asurā sabbanihīno asurakāyo, tatrāmhi upapanno’ti.
I’ll be reborn in the very lowest rank of demons, named the Kālakañjas.”
I’ve been reborn in the very lowest rank of demons, named the Kālakañjas.’

The context requires the future more I guess

1 Like

Note to self:

Ekaṃsa is rendered as “a generalization”, or “generally”, in one place and as “definitively” in the other.

2 Likes

In AN3.69:

AN3.69:2.4: And so these many bad, unskillful things are produced in them born, sourced, originated, and conditioned by greed.

Should be: "… are produced in them, born, sourced, originated, and conditioned by greed. Comma after “them”.

The same again in segments an3.69:3.4, an3.69:4.4, an3.69:10.4, an3.69:11.4, an3.69:12.4.

AN3.69:5.5: That’s why such a person is said have speech that’s ill-timed, false, meaningless, not in line with the teaching and training.

Should be: "… is said to have speech… "

AN3.69:6.2: Kāyassa ca bhedā paraṃ maraṇā duggati pāṭikaṅkhā.
AN3.69:6.2: And when the body breaks up, after death, they can expect to be reborn in a place of loss, a bad place, the underworld, hell.

Pali has only the “bad place”, English has the “full program”. :wink:

4 Likes

Some missing italics in The Brahmajāla Sutta? I dont think it’s a style thing or is it Bhante @sujato ? Maybe a problem with the markdown text?

There’s asterisks bracketing “this” and “that” throughout the Annihlilation section and the Extinguishment in the Present Life section.

Had to upload a screen shot here instead of quoting the text because D&D kept correcting the asterisks to italics!

1 Like

This does not look right,appears to include extraneous reference. Dhp1.2 SuttaCentral

Also Dhp 1.3 has

ajini

ajinī ?

AN3.87:2.8: With the ending of three fetters, they go family to family. They will transmigrate between two or three families and then make an end of suffering.

…they go from family to family.

1 Like

Both these issues are in hand and are addressed in upcoming update.

2 Likes