Please report any errors or typos!

Dhp 1, German, at SC 3 and SC 4:

„Er schimpfte mich ! Schlug auf mich ein!
Besiegte mich ! Beraubte mich!“
Die alle hegen solchen Groll,
der Haß wird denen niemals still.

„Er schimpfte mich ! Schlug auf mich ein!
Besiegte mich ! Beraubte mich!“
Die alle hegen keinen Groll,
der Haß wird denen völlig still.

There should be no spaces before the exclamation marks.

Ahh, yes, the dreaded I/l problem. Someone needed to use a better font when proofreading!

Fixed!

3 Likes

In DN 25 at the end there seems to be a sentence in the translation missing - for the Pali:

handa mayaṃ aññāṇatthampi samaṇe gotame brahmacariyaṃ carāma, kiṃ karissati sattāho’”ti? (SC 24.5)

Walshe translates as:

Let us now follow the holy life proclaimed by the ascetic Gotama, that we may learn it — for what do seven days matter?”

1 Like

Thanks, fixed!

I’m not sure if the following is a small omission or maybe I get the meaning wrong. It’s about MN 138. The Buddha’s statement at the beginning in SC 3.1 is

anupādāya na paritasseyya

and bhante @sujato , you translate “not anxious because of grasping”, whereas Ven. Bodhi translates “by not clinging he does not become agitated”.

Is anupādāya implied in the translation, or is a ‘not’ missing?

I guess the meaning is something like “he doesn’t get anxious because he’s not grasping”?

That’s an interesting case of how English syntax works relative to Pali syntax. I think most native speakers would read “not anxious because of grasping” and understand it as “not anxious because they are not grasping”. The “not” gets distributed throughout the entire sentence. Whereas “not anxious because of not grasping” would sound to me like they were not anxious about carrying out the action of “non grasping”.

Translation is tricky!

Bhikkhu Bodhi avoids possible confustion by using a lot more words…

3 Likes

DN9 Norwegian/Lie. Å/å is replaced by A/a in most instances. So much so that I suspect there might have been a parsing error when the Sutta was copied. At a glance the usage of ‘å’ is correct at Kåre Liens own site: Dn9

Edit: Browsed through the rest of DN and had a quick look at Dhp. It seems as the same issue with ‘å’ is repeated across the board for the Lie/Norwegian translations.

2 Likes

I think the close quote on this paragraph should be on the previous one
https://suttacentral.net/mn50/en/sujato#sc42

That is how, in the Bhesekaḷā grove
the mendicant rebuked Māra.
That spirit, downcast,
disappeared right there!”

3 Likes

I’m just wondering what you are seeing. When I compare the two I cannot readily see that the characters have been replaced. What I see in the first paragraph is this:

There are several å in there and I count just as many in the original text.
Can you give me an example of where the right character is missing exactly so I can check?

1 Like

I think this closing quote belongs with the whole narrative that starts with the opening quote in SC5. @Sujato?

1 Like

FWIW, in the Wisdom Pub edition, the close quote is on the second to last paragraph. Also, in that paragraph Mara is addressed in the second person but in the final paragraph Mara is referred to in the third.

1 Like

I believe bhante @sujato was following the ”ti ending found in the original in Pali.

(…)
Iti māraṃ atajjesi,
bhikkhu bhesakaḷāvane;
Tato so dummano yakkho,
tatthevantaradhāyathā ”ti.

Isn’t that at the end of every sutta?

1 Like

iPhone/Safari (correct ‘å’ in green, incorrect ‘a’ in red).

PC/Chrome

Just tested with Chrome on my PC and it looks fine. The problem only occurs on my iPhone. Same problem in Safari and Firefox Focus on the iPhone, but not on PC. How odd!

3 Likes

Yes, I suspected it was a bug. We recorded a similar bug on certain OS/Browser combinations with diacriticals in pali texts. You will probably see the same problem if you go to any random pali text. In any case, this bug was reported and is in the pipeline (but as for now I have no clue what it could be yet).

1 Like

All good points!

There’s no close -ti on the second-to-last verse, but it is on the last verse, so this is why I did it like that. Also, there is, throughout the verses, no narrator’s voice, so I took the last verse as being a summary by Moggallana, albeit an unusual one.

But the close -ti is not all that reliable as an indicator of who is speaking. In verse it is often left out. The parallel verses in the Theragatha have variant readings on whether there is a close -ti on the last verse.

More significant, as is pointed out, is that the form of address for Mara goes from second person (vocative = māra) to third person (māraṁ). At the same time, the author of the verse refers to Moggallana in the third person as bhikkhu. In addition, the commentary to the parallel in the Theragatha says the last verse was inserted during the Council.

Taken together, this is a strong indication that the last verse is in a different voice, and the close quote belongs on the second last verse. So thanks, I have corrected it!

2 Likes

Bhante, I have a hard time imagining the amount of thought you have put into the translations. I greatly rejoice in your merit!

4 Likes

MN 21 4th paragraph (Simile of the Saw)
Do you think that it should say “Is it really true…” rather than “It is really true…” bearing in mind the Buddha is asking a question?

1 Like

MN 22#sc10

“Foolish man, [who] on earth have you ever known me to teach in that way? -> when

MN 22#sc17

Now, take a respectable person who memorizes the teaching—[ ]statements, songs, -> extra space

MN 22#sc57

“No, sir.[” “]Why is that?[” “]Because that’s neither self nor belonging to self.” -> missing qoutes?

Dear Bh. Sujato

It’s great new the proof reading has been completed.

I think I have spotted a small error though, in MN139 the Noble Eightfold Path in English, seems to end at Right Mindfulness (no 7).

Best wishes