Possible alternate rendering for anatta

To be “without essence” is certainly an aspect of anattā. Once again, though, I would argue that to translate it in this way is more of an high-level philosophical explanation, and misses a huge part of the original context. One hint that this is so is the fact that the tradition feels it needs to explain not-self as meaning “without essence” (asāra, suñña, or later asabhāva). If the word simply means “without essence”, why explain it?

It’s meaningful to say that “the term ‘not-self’ (anattā) means ‘without essence’ (asāra)”. But to say, “the term ‘without essence’ means ‘without essence’” is … not.

Oh but it does. You need to familiarize yourself with ancient theories of the self.

The word attā doesn’t really mean “essence”. In everyday language it is just a word for a person or self. When the Buddha said attadīpaṁ viharatha he simply meant “rely on yourselves”. It’s got nothing to do with the notion of “essence”.

Then the philosophers get hold of it and make various arguments about what is your true self. This goes in all kinds of directions. There are countless cases in ancient or folk belief systems where the “self”, i.e. a person’s true eternal identity, is embodied in some form of external object. Check it:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bough/The_External_Soul_in_Folk-Custom

And this is exactly what the Buddha was referring to when he said, “external form is not-self”.

When we are translating, we need to remember that a word has a history. It is going from one place to another. And the journey informs the feel and smell of a word, it bears a meaning for those who were using it. Beware the tendency to grab hold of the final outcome of that process and assume that “this is what it is really about”. No: follow it back to its roots, see how it played out. Look at how ordinary everyday folk use the word in ordinary everyday circumstances. It’s not about how you can make sense of the philosophical idea. It’s about appreciating why this word mattered to those people.

No-one cares if things have essences. They care if they are going to die. That’s what the atman is about.

5 Likes

The term “Intrinsic essence” is already commonly used to translate sabhava (pali) / svabhava (sanskrit).

The later tradition, especially the Prajnaparamita and Madhyamaka, used this term a lot.

3 Likes

Thank you Bhante - you’ve given me some food for thought here.

My preference for anattā as ‘devoid of any intrinsic essence’ conveys for me the idea of absence of both self (i.e., identity, i, me, personal ownership) and soul (i.e., any permanent essence that transmigrates between births). This way of seeing things came about through practicing netaṁ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā (‘This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self’).

I used to practice that phrase as I found in a translation: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is no soul of mine’, but I didn’t find the soul satisfactory in that practice. I think that’s because the word soul, for me, had Christian overtones - it’s culturally hard for those of us who’ve grown up in the West to disentangle soul from singing school hymns to England’s green and pleasant land. As a result, I actually used ‘this is no permanent part of me’ for na meso attā.

From there, the understanding of (an)atta as ‘(devoid of) any intrinsic essence’ developed for me.

I actually think soul is perhaps the best word for atta, but it’s our Judeo-Christian cultural heritage than makes us poo-poo ‘soul’ as a mystical piece of fabric that detaches from the body on death and magically elevates itself up to heaven. Soul as the notion of an intrinsic, permanent, enduring part or essence, covers atta for me in both the transmigratory and the personal senses (though I still avoid use of that s-word because of the connotations it holds for others).

I feel like ‘self’ for atta has emerged in Buddhist literature over the past 30-40 years, in part, in the same reaction to the Judeo-Christian notion of ‘soul’ (unless there’s a more commonly understood reason known to translators which I’m unaware of). The connotative differences between these two words are important - soul suggests something beyond this life itself that transmigrates; self focuses on identity and the personal . I believe that both of these connotations are important to the idea of atta. The difference between the two is almost the divide between traditional and secular that sometimes plays out on forums.

At the end of the day, we’re translating a concept, not a word. It is difficult to capture the entirety of what is meant by it. In addition, as per the downshift in the popularity of the word ‘soul’ (or equivalently, how the name ‘Adolf’ is less frequently given to children these days), the connotations of words change over time due to cultural shifts.

It also occurs to me that we’re also bound by our cultures in understanding those concepts and words, and further, by our own individual experiences. What I understand as self / soul is inherently different to what you do. For example, the word soul may have much less cultural loading for you than me.

That our notions and understandings of ‘self’ are defined by our experience of self was suggested to me in something you wrote above:

For minds that have a lot of either greed, aversion, or delusion, the self is each defined differently. A mind of greed, consumed by pleasurable sensations, might tend to see self in terms of the hunger for what comes to the senses. A mind of aversion would tend towards turning away from or ending sensory input. A mind of delusion might tend to see things in terms of only what is in front of them. Thus a mind that has more of an aversive nature might welcome death, but a mind that has more of a delusional nature might fear it. We’d approach self, life, death, suffering and the end of suffering quite differently because of that.

I do feel like atta is more than just the personal self. If it was just the personal self, netaṁ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā would be sufficed by just the first two parts of that phrase. Whilst the Buddha used redundancy, in this case, my feeling is that each of these three parts of this phrase are different. As I suggested above, the anatta of external sense objects doesn’t make sense to me from a practice point of view - I already know Donald Trump is not me or mine; it’s superfluous and meaningless to say that he’s not my self. However, it is meaningful to me to say that Donald Trump is devoid of any intrinsic essence or permanent state of existence.

I don’t envy the choices faced by translators such as yourself. It’s a difficult task for something that has such far-reaching consequences for people.

Thank you for the reply Bhante - and thank you for your wonderful resources and translations. We are all in your debt and you have my gratitude. May you be well - May you attain the highest.

Hi Martin,

How interesting. From Western secondary sources there is little information on the kosas. K. N. Jayatilleke has argued that ātmaprāṇamayaḥ was taken up as the sankharakhanda, because “in and out breathing” (assäsapassäsä käyasankhäro) is mentioned in the Majjhimanikāya as a sankhara.

My take is that ātmavijñānamayaḥ was taken up as vinnanakandha, ātmaānandamayaḥ as vedanakhanda, ātmamanomayaḥ as sannakhanda, annarasamayaḥ was taken up as rupakhanda.

This is a bit of speculative tinkering on my part. But, it seems to me the training toward development of dispassion toward the “triad” of sanna-vedana-vinnana (contact? phassa) in the SN really “puts the philosophical boots” to the upanishadic atman-brahman … worldview (??).

Anyway, I agree with the many wise voices coming to me through this thread. It’s complicated, high-level stuff that needs to be treated with care.

Thank you for your post Martin!
Megan

1 Like

Hi Orsenturvi.

I think you may be able to find the answer to your question in the sutta, for instance SN 12.12 in which Buddha says,

“Mendicants, there are these four fuels. They maintain sentient beings that have been born and help those that are about to be born. What four? Solid food, whether coarse or fine; contact is the second, mental intention the third, and consciousness the fourth. These are the four fuels that maintain sentient beings that have been born and help those that are about to be born.”

When he said this, Venerable Phagguna of the Top-Knot said to the Buddha, “But sir, who consumes the fuel for consciousness?”

“That’s not a fitting question,” said the Buddha.“I don’t speak of one who consumes. If I were to speak of one who consumes, then it would be fitting to ask who consumes. But I don’t speak like that. …

Yes, and making consciousness transient and conditional has the effect of removing it’s special status. One example is the Buddha’s correction of Sati’s assumptions about consciousness in MN38.

1 Like

Well now @Martin, aren’t you going somewhere challenging :wink:

So I have finally ditched “without-owner” (“sans-propriétaire”) and while digging further, I found another expression that should solve the issues mentioned in this thread: “sans-égoïté” (“without-ego-hood” or “without-ego-ness”, not sure which would be deemed more appropriate).

This is an extremely rare term in French and I would considered it very obscure if it weren’t also self-explanatory. So, this should solve the issue.

Thanks everyone for the perspectives offered

Hi Megan,

Sorry for late reply. My post was short and subtle in criticism. I think the posts by Ven. Sujato directly after my post have explained and extended such points in a much better and super clear way. I suggest you read through his posts.

Also, (maybe) thanks to Ven. Sujato’s contribution, the OP of this thread has come to a conclusive solution - which is to abandon (aka ditch) his attempt to an alternate rendering of anatta. I suggest that if anyone here still has any similar tendency to alter the rendering of anatta, please read through again Ven. Sujato’s contribution.

1 Like

Hi Orsenturvi,

I thought sans-egoite from Bhikkhu Sekha @silence was an elegant solution to his thoughtful concern over finding adequate translations in French to anatta, given all its nuances, and in anticipation of contemporary readers with ever more diverse backgrounds coming to think what it may mean. And I am glad that Bhikku Sujato @sujato was able to bring his expertise on translation to support the very difficult work of his peers, and the sangha and the participation of those who are neither, like me, in these conversations.

Myself, I could relate to other participants’ preferences for thinking of anatta from different approaches, because I had to discuss Gilles Deleuze’s two cinema books in relation to anatta and had no choice but to get into substratum, substance, essence - as well as void (which we avoid) and lack (which we also avoid) - and happily drew upon texts such as Pruning the Bodhi Tree The Storm over Critical Buddhism for perspective.

Hi Megan,

I would prefer the French translation of anatta as simply “n’est pas le soi” instead of “sans-égoïté” :sweat_smile:

Anyway, I have already said that I won’t go into any further discussion about this matter. Ven. Sujato has already said what I meant to said in a super clear way. So please excuse me. :pray: