Project for a comparative Agama/Nikaya (Vocab.) Lexicon

Hello all

I hope this finds you in good health and peace of mind.

I have started this new project. It is intended to encourage various scholars to combine their work, so we can see how terms were translated from the Indian languages: Pali, Sanskrit and various Prakrits to Chinese and English. Maybe Tibetan could be added later. I am not sure about the fonts for the various Prakrits, for example, as I only deal with Pali generally.

I contacted various scholars to get some input. They said they thought it was a good idea and I have received some advice on various procedures. This project is more specifically focused on the Agama texts, which is different from the Digital Dictionary of Buddhism, which is more general. Bhikkhu Analayo has contributed some Agama vocabulary to the DDB, which I have tried to incorporate into this Lexicon, with clickable links to the original entries in the DDB. I have sent emails to him to ensure that was ok, but have not received replies.

A Google Classroom has been created with various documents, but am not sure if this is the best medium. Anyone interested is welcome to contact me. I am not sure if putting any links here is appropriate.

Charles Patton has contributed Agama translations to this website. I have started a long awaited project of translating SA texts. He and I are trying not to duplicate SA translations, at least until all the Agama have been translated once. He is working on the SA from the beginning, except for longer discourses and I am working from the end. I just submitted my first short translation to him T99.1325 and he intends to host it on his website and incorporate it in his submissions to Suttacentral.

I have been told there are a few (mainly SA) translations of discourses here, which are attributed to John Peirquet, who I believe owns the Lapis Lazuli site, where one can find them. I have been told he contributes to the Discuss & Discover forum at SC under the username @llt. I’m not sure how to contact him directly. The site had no contact details, last time I looked. They look like the ones done by me in my BA ending 2004. It could be that they were attributed to him, not knowing the translator, since I made my translations freely available online and the translator may have gotten lost in the sharing. Or maybe they are his own translations and they just look similar to mine.

best wishes
Joe

4 Likes

You can either use the PM feature of the forum or you can tag someone like this: @llt

1 Like

ok, thanks for that

I changed it in my post.

I can’t find the PM feature and when I click on the link to his profile, it says it is hidden…

Will putting that there mean, he will be notified automatically?

best wishes

1 Like

This is the link to the spreadsheet for the Lexicon:

Anyone with the link should be able to open/view it.

best wishes

3 Likes

I’ve contributed 8000+ Sanskrit cognates of Pali words to the DPD Dictionary last December. I’m working on the rest of the words.

For sanskrit, an 100% exact equivalent to Pali words is possible, other modern Indian (Indo-Aryan) languages, including Sinhala, may have very close cognates with Pali and Sanskrit in terms of word-forms and meanings - but Chinese, Tibetan, Burmese, Thai, European and other non-Indian languages would depend on the translator’s (or dictionary author’s) idiosyncratic interpretations.

1 Like