Provocative "Tricycle" article on "The New Tradition of Early Buddhism"

Kevin, thanks for your compelling and well written essay, above. Much appreciated. I also was not aware of Sean Oakes, and found his website which I’ll read in more detail later today. In any case, one paragraph from his website touches a bit on part of the subject matter here:

Maybe because convert Buddhist practitioners in the West have had a preference for advanced deconstructive practices (like vipassanā ), this layer of teaching hasn’t been as emphasized as teachings such as impermanence (anicca ) and selflessness (anattā ), or mediation instructions in general. But I think we lose something important when we omit these foundations, and arguably make achieving the liberative fruits of practice more difficult.

Wait… what?? What does he mean by vipassana if it doesn’t include the ti-lakkhaṇa? Does he just mean “Goenka-style body scanning”? And aren’t those just more “advanced deconstructive practices”? White People Buddhism confuses me… :confounded:

3 Likes

In this connection, some good advice from Ñānamoli’s Thinker’s Notebook

To get out of the puddle of muddle one has to learn to be precise, without falling into the prison of precision.

To get out of the prison of precision, one has to learn to handle the suggestive, the non-committal, the general, without falling back into the puddle.

5 Likes

Bhante, my fault for just pasting a clip without better context, and I’ll have to read his website to get a better sense of what he is saying in terms of vipassana…my guess is he is referring to the “vipassana movement” popularized in the west. I’m in Thailand now, and Thai people Buddhism confuses me…hello, Ganesh! :elephant:

1 Like

@sujato eu agradeço pela sua resposta, acho também muito importante buscar as pessoas para lhes ensinar o que é necessário para que elas tenham um vida melhor, buscando viver a dhamma. Segue uma parte de seu comentário:
Também há uma distinção a ser feita com base no fato de que “budismo” nem sempre é uma coisa única e coerente, e nunca foi. O Buda ensinou dhamma, o que essencialmente significava que ele ensinou tudo o que seria mais eficaz para ajudar a aliviar o sofrimento das pessoas com quem estava. Ele não apenas enfiou a impermanência goela abaixo nas pessoas, ele respondeu à situação de vida delas. A chave aqui é que é bom, na verdade essencial, encontrar pessoas onde elas estão e caminhar com elas nos primeiros passos de sua jornada; a questão é se isso é tudo.

Google translation
I thank you for your answer, I also think it is very important to seek out people to teach them what is necessary for them to have a better life, seeking to live the dhamma. A part of your comment follows:
There is also a distinction to be made based on the fact that “Buddhism” is not always a single, coherent thing, and it never was. The Buddha taught dhamma, which essentially meant that he taught whatever would be most effective in helping to alleviate the suffering of the people he was with. He not only shoved impermanence down people’s throats, he responded to their life situation. The key here is that it is good, indeed essential, to find people where they are and walk with them in the first steps of their journey; the question is whether that’s all.

1 Like

One essential tradition regarding ‘studies in Early Buddhism’ is Samyutta/Samyukta Buddhism, which is based on Ven. Yinshun’s works.

See Choong Mun-keat, The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism (2000) pp. 7-11, indicates that the Chinese scholar-monk Yinshun has demonstrated the historical important of Samyutta-Nikāya/Samyukta-āgama (SN/SA) in Early Buddhism in two books: The Formation of Early Buddhist Texts 原始佛教聖典之集成 (1971), and Combined Edition of Sūtra and Śāstra of Saṃyukta-āgama 雜阿含經論會編 (1983) (Cf. also pp. 2-7: “1. Historical background”).

In the following recent article, the same author provides further useful information on this topic/issue:

“Ācāriya Buddhaghosa and Master Yinshun 印順 on the Three-aṅga Structure of Early Buddhist Texts” in Research on the Saṃyukta-āgama (Dharma Drum Institute of Liberal Arts, Research Series 8; edited by Dhammadinnā), Taiwan: Dharma Drum Corporation, August 2020, pp. 883-932.

https://www.academia.edu/44055729/%C4%8 … hist_Texts

https://www.academia.edu/39352226/The_F … ukta_agama

According to Ven. Yinshun, Saṃyukta-āgama/Saṃyutta-nikāya was not, at first, being termed as nikāya or āgama, but generally named the ‘Connected Discourses’ 相應教 Saṃyukta-kathā. About the term Saṃyukta-kathā, see p. 899, note 21 in the above-mentioned paper (2020) by Choong Mun-keat.

Calling the Saṃyukta/Saṃyutta as āgama/nikāya ‘collection’ was until when the other three nikāyas/āgamas (MN/MA, DN/DA, AN/EA) were gradually developed and expanded from it (相應教 Saṃyukta-kathā). Cf. pp. 10-11 in Choong Mun-keat’s Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism (2000).

The extant SA and SN, and also other āgamas/nikāyas, are sectarian texts. One can seek an understanding of early Buddhist teachings by studying them comparatively (p. 11).

It is likely the term, nikāya, was first being used in Early Buddhism for the four āgamas/nikāyas.

See also Ven. Yinshun in his book (CSA vol. 1) states that Samyukta-agama is the foundation of both the four agamas/nikayas and Mahayana Madhyamaka and Yogācāra’s essential teachings:

"《雜阿含經》(即《相應阿含》,《相應部》),是佛教界早期結集的聖典,代表了釋尊在世時期的佛法實態。佛法是簡要的,平實中正的,以修行為主,依世間而覺悟世間,實現出世的理想——涅槃。在流傳世間的佛教聖典中,這是教法的根源,後來的部派分化,甚至大乘「中觀」與「瑜伽」的深義,都可以從本經而發見其淵源 。這應該是每一位修學佛法者所應該閱讀探究的聖典。

… 其實,四部阿含是先有《雜阿含》 ,九分教是先有「修多羅」,「祇夜」,「記說」(這三分也還是先後集出),二者互相關聯,同時發展而次第成立的。《中阿含經》([A1]一九一)《大空經》,說到「正經,歌詠,記說」(《中部》一一二《空大經》所說相同),正是佛教初期三分教時代的明證。

《瑜伽論.攝事分》中,抉擇契經宗要的摩呾理迦,是《雜阿含經》的部分論義,也就是「所說」——「修多羅」部分的論義。「修多羅」分陰、處、因緣、聖道四大類,在《雜阿含經》的集成中,「修多羅」是最早的,正是如來教法的根本所在 。"

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=655491&sid=19870b64d850112ba7ad953247594377#p655491

1 Like

Indeed! Have you heard about Rishi Lingdum? :joy: And I’ve basically given up on understanding Tibetan Buddhism :confounded: I’m barely smart enough to understand Early Buddhism, let alone all these ethnic forms (of which White Buddhism is just another)

3 Likes

Hi @Snowbird. Any teaching from the Pāli Canon is going to be selective, and that’s true for any body of literature. Every teacher chooses what to emphasize and what to ignore. The question I think is interesting here is around what’s the result of the choices we make around what to teach. In some traditional Theravāda cultures, laypeople were barely taught anything more than dāna and sīla, and a simple kind of right view around kamma and rebirth. Now in a movement like Insight Meditation and other forms of modern and postmodern Buddhism, we’re teaching bhāvanā in way more depth, but with less emphasis on kamma, rebirth, dāna, and sīla. What will be the result of that? It has positive aspects, including things like the jhāna revival, and the culturally-beneficial aspects of the mindfulness movement, but drawbacks as well, including the cognitive dissonance @Bernat describes.

When you use terms like “as they are,” “authentic,” and “actually taught,” you’re putting forward a fundamentalist position that contains its own cognitive dissonances. If we’re reading the texts in translation, learning from modern teachers who studied the texts within modern cultural conditions, and carrying the interpretive frameworks we learned from whatever our culture of origin is, we’re already far from what the Buddha actually said. Authenticity as you’re describing it is as much a colonial discourse as the new ecumenical tradition of Insight Meditation is. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong to search for the earliest layers of the historical record we have access to, or to try to sort out what’s historically earlier in the development of the religion. But I think it’s important to acknowledge that conservative and liberal reinventions are both reinventions.

A place I agree with you in not feeling hopeful is around the teachings on rebirth and kamma in the Pāli Canon. I don’t see many non-Asian practitioners taking on that view in any meaningful way. I have deep concern for the fruits of this in terms of the decline of liberatory teaching in contemporary lineages. But I feel limited in my ability to successfully bring people to this view that is so radically different from the prevailing ideology now.

5 Likes

Hi Ven. @sujato.

I think it’s important to differentiate an American focus on sensual pleasures like wealth and power, which so often impel unwholesome actions, from pleasures like sexuality, music, and art, which can be enjoyed in very wholesome ways. The marginalization of Christian moralism in the 60s has resulted in the development of ethical forms of sexuality, eating, intoxication, and other activities that used to be morally condemned. But then when it’s common, as it is in progressive culture here, to pursue hedonism with ethics (consent, sustainability, etc) foregrounded, why would teachings like renunciation be appealing? We don’t respect renunciation teachings unless they’re connected to a demonstrable ethical good, like reducing greenhouse gasses. So it’s easy to convince people to favor electric cars or make changes in lifestyle that are eco-conscious, but not easy to convince them to renounce sex or drugs, because now that there’s no hell to be condemned to, why would you?

Your concern about “mindfulness” is en pointe. It has very much been observed that contemporary mindfulness is amoral, along with being relentlessly individualistic. Both of these make it an ideal teaching for those who wish to preserve the status quo. I partly think this is a result of confusion in the first generation of teachers in the West, who conflated Zen and Taoist ideals of non-doing and shikan-taza with mindfulness as presented in the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta. But it’s also the result of us not being able to really shake off the ghost of neoliberalism/capitalism in our practice. We’re obsessed with self-improvement, which just means self. This is painful and hard to treat. When I teach mindfulness, I emphasize the active aspect of it for this reason, and the discernment of wholesome vs unwholesome states.

Yes, but with respect, I hear some snark in your words. There’s always a balance between focusing on one’s own liberation, and attending to the conditions of the world, as you know well. Many practitioners I know are wary of teachings on renunciation specifically because they can suggest turning one’s attention away from the crises of the burning world. We have to remind well-meaning progressives here often that individual renunciation, like downsizing your lifestyle and carbon footprint, is not a very substantial action if one wants to truly affect the course of climate change or of the consumer economy. Large scale political action is far more relevant.

So there certainly is the American fixation on comfort and entertainment, but within the Buddhist community, I more often see a sincere desire to be part of positive change in the world, but a kind of hopelessness because the forces of evil are so entrenched. This is the thing that can feel generational—young people being more inspired by communal action and fighting for their futures while the older generation may be more resigned.

I’m with you in this concern. I don’t know the answer, but look for ways to bring forward those aspects of the teaching which help us adapt and respond wisely.

One last piece I’ll add here is that meaningful renunciation, which I think is at the heart of a powerful Buddhist response to the current world, depends in large part on material conditions that make renunciation possible not just as a psychological shift but as a sustainable lifestyle. But how do we do that? Here there is effectively no wild land that can be inhabited without a huge amount of purchasing power—and certainly not pleasant groves just outside sustainable cities that could support monastics. And even if you have the money to buy land, there’s hardly any monasteries, and minimal lay support communities. So it’s not easy to get inspired by monastics and become one.

And for lay people drawn to renunciation, I don’t know a lot of people who are materially comfortable and indulging in wasteful habits while the world burns. Most I know are struggling to get by in a ruthless market, in a country with shitty healthcare and no safety net. What is renunciation to us? I barely make my bills and don’t have much saved for old age, and that’s even with the privilege to live in co-housing, sharing resources with others, and having avoided debt. A meaningful Buddhist response to the world we live in I think has to contend with the limited avenues open to most people, and offer views and practices that can actually help turn our hearts toward peace even if we can’t maneuver much in our current situations. This is why the acceptance and non-judgment teachings have taken such root here—they are actually realistic about how much of our lives we have control over and how much we don’t. They’re not enough by a long shot, but I don’t want to denigrate people for not being more radical when very few radical options are widely available.

12 Likes

To me it seems, “the West” has thoroughly rewritten what the “vipassana movement” was into a new Western form of “Insight movement.” The vipassana movement starts with Ledi Sayadaw, accelerates with the Mula Mingun Sayadaw U Narada and then goes international with Mahasi Sayadaw und SN Goenka. At least the three Sayadaws stress the importance of kamma, rebirth, dāna, and sīla.

3 Likes

For sure, @anon31486827. There’s been a huge shift in emphasis from the Burmese vipassanā movement to globalized forms like IM. I do think it’s a distinct movement, a new school that’s way more ecumenical and unitarian-ish than its predecessors. Again, I think the shift has as much to do with the cultures and worldviews the Dhamma encountered as it was globalized as with individual teacher choices around what doctrines to emphasize.

Just an aside here - but I’ve never even considered renunciation in this way, so this statement was quite surprising to read and got me thinking - hence this response :slight_smile:

I have always thought of restraint as being of the senses (all 6), to use wisdom in conditioning contact and where to pay Right Attention. ie part of the conditions that lead to beneficial states (4 Right Efforts), not about moral rules (like commandments). The kammic consequences of actions, speech and thought, are tied to states of consciousness, and not reward and punishment… ie very different to a ‘Christian’ sensibility or perspective . I think keeping a Christian moral framework severely undercuts the core of the teachings… how can D.O. be relevant in that case > and no wonder that rebirth is erased in many secular teachings…

Without rebirth though, the benefits and emancipation of the path are tiny by comparison. IN that case it is no wonder that motivation (and Samvega) to embrace the Practice with everything one has got (“like your head is on fire”), is so low…

The less the first Noble Truth is understood the less the impetus to practice fully, and herein lies the rub, The First Noble truth can be perceived by some as negative and unpleasant, upsetting and challenging, but without it, everything else is also compromised. The Buddhas position is that this is simply a statement of indisputable fact (A Noble Truth), not a negative spin on the world…

So the teachings are about how to become liberated from the cycle of Samsara, not about how to view Samsara as really ok (if only you know how to tweak a few things internally and fix things externally). It is this, that I see as a real tension all the time… Knowing people have to live this life, and not wanting them to get depressed and to despair. It is a challenge how to point attention in the ‘right’ way, to see both the problem AND the escape.

7 Likes

Thanks so much Sean, these are very satisfying answers!

Unintended, I assure you. And to be sure, this is a challenge for everyone, and I think there is no morality that exists that is up to the challenge.

Indeed, good point. The thing here is that apparently individual world-renunciation has a massive flow-on effect (the Buddha himself being a case in point.)

Indeed, at this point it’s the only thing that matters.

Indeed, yes.

This would be a really interesting topic to explore.

5 Likes

This is just an excellent discussion, and the more recent posts from Viveka, Florian, Sean, and Bhante really are the start of what I hope is a great, further renunciation discussion here. Renunciation seems to me such an important practice and psychological framework, such that its effect extends from personal mindfulness that can set the stage for deeper meditation, to a larger context wherein bigger picture concerns like the explosion of consumer debt, overconsumption, carbon emissions, or territorial disputes can be addressed. It seems to me that the practice of nekkhamma is an important psychological tool, the same way that dana and karuna are also psychological devices whereby we mitigate dukkha, and cultivate the capacity for practices that benefit us both individually as well as society collectively. This “massive flow-on effect” (per Bhante’s comment) that the Buddha exemplified is what, to my mind, makes the Early Buddhist path the most important and necessary path for the 21st century.

In other words, in a country “with shitty healthcare and no safety net. What is renunciation to us?” we are experiencing the rise of authoritarianism, heavy and angry splitting of our political discussions, violence, and a lack of capacity for problem solving. In my view, the psychology of renunciation brings people together; instead of hating and competing with each other, we set the table at least for the capacity to sanely focus on common solutions, vs. othering each other, and furthering the violence and the rise of dangerous authoritarian politics.

5 Likes

This. This is the best summation of American progressive culture I have ever seen. Certainly some food for thought

4 Likes

I’ve noticed an apathy and often distaste for renunciation in modern dhamma circles among lay people alot. I think people have really limited the idea of renunciation to this ideal of a monk in a lofty palace like monastery ignoring the cries of the world.

This isn’t accurate, it’s not accurate in the same way that the Thai National Sangha insists that monks cannot be involved in protests is inaccurate. I am tempted as I write this to blame the west for certain…behaviours that have happened, and in part it is to blame. But the problem is larger than that.

We, for some several years now, are in an abusive relationship with our own species. It is the longest and saddest one in history, and it has generated a system which encourages institutional abuse and exploitation.

I believe the reason why current society seeks to pervert and distort mindfulness so much is because when the transformative work of buddhism (and any genuine religion really) is working it sort of encourages similar conclusions to the unhealthiness of say…working ten years in an amazon warehouse until your body is falling apart. Or the issue of being a CEO of an emerald mine in Africa. It’s dangerous.

Renunciation is no different. We hear about renunciation, we imagine a monk in a lofty palace monastery. Or secluded from the world in a forest, happily living their life and ignoring the cries of humans around them. But the suttas show us that real renunciation does not work this way.

Renunciation, both monastic and lay/personal, is a seclusion away from the abusive relationship we are trapped in with our own species. The system we are trapped in only works so long as we continue to function inside of it. If we were to realize on whole that it does not exist, it would fall apart.

If the system needs us in order to keep functioning, is it any wonder why we keep being told renouncing this world doesn’t work?

3 Likes

I want to highlight this a bit, and also bring up the fact that the EBTs we have were compiled by a certain group, mainly older male monastics. Their voices are generally way more prominent than the voices of women, younger folks, laypersons and people who are on the edge of the Buddhist community (new Buddhists, people who are interested in Buddhism but not really Buddhists, heretics like Devadatta and others, etc). So even though we know some of the ways that the early sangha was diverse because of the textual evidence we have, there is also just a lot we don’t know about this diversity because what was important to these less influential persons was just not passed on or canonized. In other cases, this stuff may have survived, but in “later” texts like the Jatakas (which are often de-emphasized in EBT or modernist Buddhist discourse).

Archeology may help somewhat here but not much. If we look at some early Buddhist archeological sites, we see tons of very worldly and even sensual imagery. Women and deities with large breasts and big hips for example, something which would seem to be anathema to the strict ascetic spirit of the monastic elders. So even though its easy to criticize some modern forms of Buddhism for not being “Buddhist” enough by pointing to the canonical Buddhist sources, we need to remember that these sources are themselves biased in certain ways.

I think this all gets to a further issue I have with some of the EBT discourse - the idea that what is in an “EBT” is what the Buddha himself said. I think that we need to step back a bit from this idea. Sure, EBTs probably contain much of what was taught by the Buddha, but these texts were not composed by the Buddha with pen in hand. They were composed by monks over generations, perhaps around a core set of doctrinal teachings that were taught by the Buddha (and probably in a different language). I think that having this kind of critical distance will free us from the kind of fundamentalist or protestant attitude that sometimes exists in certain religions, mainly that it is The Text which is the ultimate source of authority and truth. I’m not accusing anyone here of that, but I’ve certainly seen it in other quarters. Perhaps its just strong habit that Anglo-Saxon protestant cultures fall into.

8 Likes

Hi @Danamitra & others, thanks so much for an engaging convo. The thing I am emphasizing about the practice of renunciation, in response to Ven. Sujato’s question, is around meaningful material renunciation in a culture where there are few options for social movement for most people. You’re right that it’s a common misperception that renunciation is synonymous with the monastic vocation, and maybe I implied that a bit in my response above. So I want to flesh it out a little bit here.

I like that you’re emphasizing renunciation as seclusion from a certain kind of abusive relationship, particularly in relation to an unhealthy culture. What I’m thinking about here is what that seclusion actually looks like in practice. In American culture, a lot of people are trapped, economically, and don’t have a lot of room to disengage with the abusive system. Renunciation while still remaining a layperson demands that I have some wiggle room in my household economy to stop participating in some aspects of culture that I find harmful. What are those, exactly?

Most practitioners I know try to do this disengagement—renouncing unwholesome media, or buying only used clothes, etc. But unless one is free from substantial obligations like parenting, debt, or elder care, these renunciations don’t change one’s day to day lifestyle that much. I think a lot of folks project a kind of hedonistic delusion on American convert practitioners, implying that because American culture generally is one of excess and waste, folks are indulging in lives of excess individually.

I actually think Buddhism has been a wholesome influence on American culture in this way (and/or it’s converts self-select and were already drawn toward material simplicity). In every Buddhist community I know, both convert and heritage (and those classifications aren’t definitive), I don’t see a lot of excessive indulgence. And as I implied above, most people I know are working to middle class, with a lot of obligations, and not much room to maneuver toward simpler lifestyles. So any time we suggest that radical disengagement with an abusive system is morally superior, we marginalize people who are prevented from radical disengagement by their very real obligations, and I think that’s most people. To actually help people leave abusive relationships, they need safe places to go.

That should be monasteries, traditionally, but a huge lack here in American Buddhism is the presence of monasticism even as an option for most people. In the suttas, we see rich people either renouncing wealth and going forth, or becoming lay supporters. What do poor people do? They go forth, or take refuge and keep doing their obligations (and we don’t hear much about them, because the suttas favor the stories of monastics and wealthy laypeople). But I don’t know of any guidance for the poor layperson around renunciation except monasticism. So what happens when it’s not easy to go forth?

I suggest that the absence of a viable “monastic option” in a culture is one of the places modern Buddhism is failing to help American culture (or is being prevented by conditions from doing more). I think one of the most profound things that Buddhism has that can help us adapt and respond is the radically communal lifestyle of the monastic saṅgha. It’s a safe house from the abusive relationship. But if it’s not visible or viable in a culture, it can’t perform this function. One of the side-effects, then, of the globalized lay Buddhist meditation movements of the 20th century is the marginalization of the monastic vocation from the awareness of practitioners.

Once monasticism isn’t available as a refuge from poverty or the middle-class grind, renunciation for lay followers becomes just a psychological orientation: “letting go of anxiety about imperfection,” as a common quote puts it. In my youth I did a lot of disengagement from the abusive system, and it served me well, but I could only do that from within the rare privileged position of the lay Dharma bum—no money, no obligations, good health, good education, and lots of free time.

To loop this back to the OP around @Bernat’s excellent article, this (renunciation and vocation) is a place where there certainly is cognitive dissonance between lay people drawing on the EBTs for inspiration but not practicing in line with them. I don’t think we’ve reckoned as a lineage yet on the deeper implications of the intensive lay practitioner as a life path, and how it plays out in terms of the survival of the monastic saṅgha or lay people’s liberation journey itself.

8 Likes

Hi Sean,

I agree. I started by turning up at our local Thai monastery, seeing happy people, and sticking around. Having a long-term relationship with both monastic and lay practitioners there has been extremely valuable to me. It’s important role modelling, and it’s essential to know that monastics are just people, with strengths, weaknesses, senses of humour, and so on…

My New Zealand lay friends who have not had much contact with monastics have an uncomfortable relationship to the whole idea. On the one hand, they are enthusiastic about a small number of famous monastics (Bhikkhu Analayo being the latest), but they don’t have any inclination to seek out someone local, and tend to be quite negative about the whole idea of renunciation, perhaps because they have not seen a variety of quite normal, happy monastics that they can relate to.

4 Likes

Well this thread has morphed into a really rich and wide-ranging discussion of important topics that are both tangentially-related to Bernat’s original article and perhaps deserving of new threads of their own.

I’m really appreciating the discussion of renunciation in particular. I would love to see a discussion of what model(s) for serious, dedicated lay practice and lay teachers might or might not past muster with the many monastics who frequent these forums.

Like Sean I hold monastics in the highest regard, but I also have so much appreciation for and gratitude to lay teachers who have strong sīla and live lives of great simplicity in order to put Dhamma practice and service first. Aside from Sean himself I think about teachers like Shaila Catherine, Joseph Goldstein, Gil Fronsdal and Larry Rosenburg, just to name a few off the top of my head, who model renunciation and dedication to practice in a way that is if anything more inspiring to me personally because as a fellow lay practitioner they keep me from using the “well they’re monks so of course their practice is stronger” excuse. And they have immediate, first-hand knowledge of how to apply the Dhamma to challenges like earning a living, sex and family relationships that aren’t live issues anymore for monastics.

There’s no model for how to survive financially in, say, California while meditating 2-5 hours a day, studying the suttas, teaching and going on long retreat oneself whenever possible while trying to fund the whole thing from dāna - yet I can think of any number of teachers who are trying to do just that, and without a trust fund or wealthy benefactors I don’t see how it works.

I’m also under the impression that Ajahn Brahm and perhaps other monastics take a dim view of laypeople accepting dāna altogether, since by definition their sīla can’t compare with those who keep the full range of monastic precepts. But such objections, it seems to me, don’t fully take into account the system of dāna support for monastics in Asian culture, in which laypeople “make merit” by providing the means for others to practice full-time, while hoping that their good kamma paves the way for their own Dhamma practice in a future lifetime. That’s not only delaying one’s own practice but also fundamentally a transactional approach to dāna (not to say that it isn’t intermingled with much authentic generosity and letting go). So it would seem that there are no pure or perfect models.

Sean says:

“One of the side-effects, then, of the globalized lay Buddhist meditation movements of the 20th century is the marginalization of the monastic vocation from the awareness of practitioners.”

So what he’s talking about is, in Erik Braun’s phrase, the “meditation en masse” movements started by Ledi Sayadaw and spread worldwide by Mahasi Sayadaw, U Ba Khin and their heirs. The whole idea of the 9 day intensive “boot camp” meditation retreat as well as dry insight practices and even the idea that laypeople (and monastics for that matter, if we’re being honest) ought to actually do some meditation started with them. And so did the focus on having a better life here-and-now rather than practicing to put and end to rebirth by reaching nibbana. A typical Goenka 9 day retreat is every bit as secular as an IMS one or an MBSR course.

Now the founders of Insight Meditation Society did their best to bring that already highly-secularized Burmese model back to the West in a still-drier way that didn’t compromise when it came to intensity of meditation practice. But is that “marginalization” of the monastic model or usurpation of its most salient and liberating practices by lay practitioners?

I’m thinking here of Bhante Dhammika’s (in)famous book “Broken Buddha” in which he says (I’m paraphrasing from memory) that the fact that there wasn’t a meditation manual of any note written between the Visduddhimagga in the 5th century and Mahasi’s “Manual of Insight” in the 21st tells you all you need to know about the level of actual meditation practice in the Theravāda tradition. Braun’s “The Birth of Insight” makes it abundantly clear that it was the threat of the extinction of Buddhism due to colonial forces that motivated Ledi Sayadaw to figure out a way to get Burmese monastics and laypeople to meditate, and that without it the monks might well have continued to spend their time elsewhere as they had for centuries.

Fast-forward to today and we have a tiny number of monastics, a large and vibrant Western insight meditation community whose teachers effectively compete with monastics for dāna and teaching authority in the public’s mind, and no clear path to sustaining either monastics or dedicated lay teachers.

In that context time spent splitting hairs about Theravāda vs. Early Buddhist rebranding kind of seems…unwise?

4 Likes