SuttaCentral

Pūtimutta bhesajja (urine + gallnuts) and gallnut(harītaka)

Anujānāmi, bhikkhave, phalāni bhesajjāni – bilaṅgaṃ, pippaliṃ, maricaṃ, harītakaṃ, vibhītakaṃ, āmalakaṃ, goṭṭhaphalaṃ
“I allow you, monks, if there is a reason to make use of fruits as medicines: vilaṅga , pepper, black pepper, yellow myrobalan (gallnut), beleric myrobalan, emblic myrobalan, goṭha”.

Buddha allowed few fruits as medicine which can keep lifelong. Gallnut was one of them, however, this was used more often than other medicinal fruits. This was used as a medicine in traditional medicine in Iranian, chinese, indian, etc. It has proven antimicrobial proerties and medicinal properties over number of diseases.

Urine is also allowed as a medicine.

“Anujānāmi, bhikkhave, cattāri mahāvikaṭāni dātuṃ—gūthaṃ, muttaṃ, chārikaṃ, mattikan”
I allow you, monks, to give the four great irregular things: (a decoction of) dung, urine, ashes, clay.

These four can e used without formally recieving as a antivenom.
Ayurveda amd most traditional medicines use urine as a medicine and it was taken from Humans as well as from some animals (ex: Cow). Urine is also proven to have antimicrobial properties.

Pūtimutta bhesajja is prepared using gallnuts and urine. Traditional way that we leaned is to make them using cow urine. However, some argue the urine used here is ones own urine.

It would be difficult to find dung or urine from a cow, when a monk was bitten by a snake. Therefore gūthaṃ might be his own faeces and muttaṃ might be his own urine.

Any canonical texts or other scriptures on these medicines?
Any ideas about the use of urine and faeces as medicines?

I once read that faeces are to be burnt in order to be used as medicine. But not sure if that is described in a specific EBT? :thinking:

According to the section that give the details of allowing, it seems to be used as it is.
There is no farther explaination how it is prepared.

Maybe bhante @brahmali may have come across it in his translation of the Vinaya? :thinking: