PUZZLE: The quick fox jumped over the lazy dog

But they are not pronounced the same … ? :thinking:

2 Likes

dh =/= ḍh

They are different letters.

And to be clear, d and dh are not pronounced the same either. d, dh, ḍ, and ḍh are four different letters, four different pronunciations.

2 Likes

The AI will learn from the actual MP3 audio how they should sound and deduce that “d” and “h” together sound different than “d” and “h” separately.

My goodness that’s subtle. OK. There is EXACTLY ONE MAGIC SEGMENT:

sutta/kn/mil/mil6.4.1_root-pli-ms.json: “mil6.4.1:5.2”: ““Yathā, mahārāja, nagaravaḍḍhakī nagaraṁ māpetukāmo paṭhamaṁ tāva samaṁ anunnatamanonataṁ asakkharapāsāṇaṁ nirupaddavamanavajjaṁ ramaṇīyaṁ bhūmibhāgaṁ anuviloketvā yaṁ tattha visamaṁ, taṁ samaṁ kārāpetvā khāṇukaṇṭakaṁ visodhāpetvā tattha nagaraṁ māpeyya sobhanaṁ vibhattaṁ bhāgaso mitaṁ ukkiṇṇaparikhāpākāraṁ daḷhagopuraṭṭālakoṭṭakaṁ puthucaccaracatukkasandhisiṅghāṭakaṁ sucisamatalarājamaggaṁ suvibhattaantarāpaṇaṁ ārāmuyyānataḷākapokkharaṇiudapānasampannaṁ bahuvidhadevaṭṭhānappaṭimaṇḍitaṁ sabbadosavirahitaṁ, so tasmiṁ nagare sabbathā vepullattaṁ patte aññaṁ desaṁ upagaccheyya, atha taṁ nagaraṁ aparena samayena iddhaṁ bhaveyya phītaṁ subhikkhaṁ khemaṁ samiddhaṁ sivaṁ anītikaṁ nirupaddavaṁ nānājanasamākulaṁ, puthū khattiyā brāhmaṇā vessā suddā hatthārohā assārohā rathikā pattikā dhanuggahā tharuggahā celakā calakā piṇḍadāyakā uggā rājaputtā pakkhandino mahānāgā sūrā vammino yodhino dāsikaputtā bhaṭiputtā mallakā gaṇakā āḷārikā sūdā kappakā nahāpakā cundā mālākārā suvaṇṇakārā sajjhukārā sīsakārā tipukārā lohakārā vaṭṭakārā ayokārā maṇikārā pesakārā kumbhakārā veṇukārā loṇakārā cammakārā rathakārā dantakārā rajjukārā kocchakārā suttakārā vilī vakārā dhanukārā jiyakārā usukārā cittakārā raṅgakārā rajakā tantavāyā tunnavāyā heraññikā dussikā gandhikā tiṇahārakā kaṭṭhahārakā bhatakā paṇṇikā phalikā mūlikā odanikā pūvikā macchikā maṁsikā majjikā naṭakā naccakā laṅghakā indajālikā vetālikā mallā chavaḍāhakā pupphachaḍḍakā venā nesādā gaṇikā lāsikā kumbhadāsiyo sakkayavanacīnavilātā ujjenakā bhārukacchakā kāsikosalā parantakā māgadhakā sāketakā soreyyakā pāveyyakā koṭumbaramāthurakā alasandakasmīragandhārā taṁ nagaraṁ vāsāya upagatā nānāvisayino janā navaṁ suvibhattaṁ adosamanavajjaṁ ramaṇīyaṁ taṁ nagaraṁ passitvā anumānena jānanti ‘cheko vata bho so nagaravaḍḍhakī, yo imassa nagarassa māpetā’ti.”,

(which Snowbird will now memorize and speak for us…:grinning:)

And this is actually also a great test for the AI. Thanks!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s not. For people who grew up speaking a language that makes the distinction between the dental and retroflex consonants, it is in fact very distinct. The fact that we use similar letters in English only makes it harder for non-native speakers to respect the difference.

After 10 years of thinking I had fairly decent Pali pronunciation, I chanted the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta next to a Sri Lankan monk one day who nearly peed himself laughing at my pronunciation. Very humbling. BTW, he’s not a monk any more.

Is it possible that that is the largest segment on SC? :wink:

Oh, and it’s from the (venerable of course) Milindapañha. That’s not really an EBT by anyone’s metric. But I guess the whole thing is arbitrary in the end because the whole concept of segment is a modern invention.

Perhaps we need to compose a single sentence. Because I doubt if there are many actual foxes jumping over actual dogs, no matter what colour the fox or energy level of the dog.

Anyway, nice (but strange) thread. Thanks!

4 Likes

8 Likes

This thread is such a cool mix of obscure linguistics and hilarity! Buddhist nerds rule?! Oh! Or should it be Pali nerds…?

2 Likes