Question about "Reverse Order Questionnaire on Arising" in MN38

I do not know Pali, so I need help to decipher the meaning of this section since it does not make sense to me.

Section: Reverse Order Questionnaire on Arising (MN38)

Jātipaccayā jarāmaraṇanti iti kho panetaṁ vuttaṁ;
jātipaccayā nu kho, bhikkhave, jarāmaraṇaṁ, no vā, kathaṁ vā ettha hotī”ti? Variant: kathaṁ vā ettha → kathaṁ vo ettha (bj); kathaṁ vā vo ettha (?)
“Jātipaccayā, bhante, jarāmaraṇaṁ;
evaṁ no ettha hoti— Variant: evaṁ no ettha hoti → evaṁ no ettha hotīti (mr)
jātipaccayā jarāmaraṇan”ti.

Bhikkhu Sujato

Rebirth is a condition for old age and death.’ That’s what I said.
Is that how you see this or not?”
“That’s how we see it.”

Suddhāso Bhikkhu

“It was said: ‘Due to birth there is old age and dieing.’ Monks, is it due to birth that there is old age and dieing, or not? What is it in this case?” “Bhante, due to birth there is old age and dieing. That is what we think in this case: due to birth there is old age and dieing.”

I.B. Horner

It has been said: ‘Conditioned by birth is ageing and dying.’ Is there ageing and dying for you, monks, conditioned by birth, or how is it as to this?”
“Conditioned by birth, Lord, is ageing and dying. Thus it is for us as to this: ‘Conditioned by birth is ageing and dying.’”

Bhikkhu Bodhi

“‘With birth as condition, ageing and death’: so it was said. Now, bhikkhus, do ageing and death have birth as condition or not, or how do you take it in this case?”
“Ageing and death have birth as condition, venerable sir. Thus we take it in this case: ‘With birth as condition, ageing and death.’”

Problems:
Reading these translations, I am wondering why the Buddha needs to ask again what is already declared? Why does he think that the bhikkhus may have different ideas than his declaration? It does not make sense to me. What is the purpose here? To confirm what is already declared or something else?

Since I do not know Pali, I cannot decipher the Pali. However, if this is not about re-confirmation of what is already known. I think it may have different intention here.

What am I guessing?
I think this is about Specific conditionality (Idappaccayatā)
When this exists, that is; due to the arising of this, that arises. That is:
imasmiṁ sati idaṁ hoti, imassuppādā idaṁ uppajjati, yadidaṁ

To me, this statement is saying that if this exists then that also exists. If this is arising then that is already there. In other words, if aging-and-death exists then birth must already be there. If aging-and-death is arising then birth is already there.

Therefore, I guess this section could be like this:

With birth as condition, ageing and death: so it was said. Now, bhikkhus, do ageing and death have birth or not, or how do you take it in this case?”

Ageing and death have birth, venerable sir. Thus we take it in this case: ‘With birth as condition, ageing and death.’

This means that if we have aging-and-death, birth must be there without exception. We can have other conditions for aging-and-death such as accident, sickness… but they are not required like birth.

This is called specific conditionality. When there is an effect, the required cause must be there.

This is the reversed relation. That’s why it is in the section “Reverse Order Questionnaire on Arising” in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation.

Examples:

With milk as a condition, curd arises (Without milk, we cannot make curd).
However, we cannot say that if we have curd now, we must also have milk now. (We can have curd, but we ran out of milk now). This is not specific conditionality.

Now with this example:

With the candle’s flame as condition, candle’s light arises.
Here we can say if we have candle’s light, we must also have candle’s flame. (Without candle’s flame, we do not have candle’s light). This is specific conditionality.

However, this is my guess. I want to confirm my thinking with what the Pali said.

I think this could also be:

With birth as condition, ageing and death: so it was said. Now, bhikkhus, if there is ageing and death is there birth or not, or how do you take it in this case?”

If there is ageing and death, there is birth, venerable sir. Thus we take it in this case: ‘With birth as condition, ageing and death.’

Just like with fatal accident as condition, death. However, with death we do not always have accident, or death does not always come with accident.

But with death we always have birth. There is no death without birth.

For me, the Buddha is establishing the following exhortation, which concludes the passage:

Personal Knowledge

“Bhikkhus, knowing and seeing in this way, would you run back to the past thus: ‘Were we in the past? Were we not in the past? What were we in the past? How were we in the past? Having been what, what did we become in the past?’?”—“No, venerable sir.”—“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you run forward to the future thus: ‘Shall we be in the future? Shall we not be in the future? What shall we be in the future? How shall we be in the future? Having been what, what shall we become in the future?’?”—“No, venerable sir.”—“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you now be inwardly perplexed about the present thus: ‘Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where will it go?’?”—“No, venerable sir.”

“Bhikkhus, knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Teacher is respected by us. We speak as we do out of respect for the Teacher’?”—“No, venerable sir.”—“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Recluse says this, and we speak thus at the bidding of the Recluse’?”—“No, venerable sir.”—“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you acknowledge another teacher?”—“No, venerable sir.”—“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you return to the observances, tumultuous debates, and auspicious signs of ordinary recluses and brahmins, taking them as the core of the holy life?”—“No, venerable sir.”—“Do you speak only of what you have known, seen, and understood for yourselves?” —“Yes, venerable sir.”

“Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this Dhamma, which is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves. For it was with reference to this that it has been said: ‘Bhikkhus, this Dhamma is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves.’

Thanks,
What do they have known, seen and understood by themselves?

As I see, they can see clearly that unpleasant feeling is there because of contact. Nothing to do with the “I”. The “I” has no role there. Aging-and-death is there because of birth. Nothing to do with “I”. Without birth, there is no aging-and-death. The cessation of aging-and-death has nothing to do with the “I”. That’s what they have seen, known and understood. Therefore, it does not make sense to question if I was in the past? The whole process of DO has nothing to do with “I”. However, we often take that process as “I, me.” The process is running by itself when appropriated conditions are there, not by “I”. That DO process is not “I”. Asking those questions means that we take DO process as “I”.

Seeing clearly like that, how can we ask those questions? Moreover, we also do not say that because we respect someone or we are under pressure to do so. We said that because we clearly understood DO.

Upadana (attachment; grasping; clinging) is the arising of a self-doctrine, per its definition.

And what is grasping?
Katamañca, bhikkhave, upādānaṁ?
There are these four kinds of grasping.
Cattārimāni, bhikkhave, upādānāni—
Grasping at sensual pleasures, views, precepts and observances, and theories of a self.
kāmupādānaṁ, diṭṭhupādānaṁ, sīlabbatupādānaṁ, attavādupādānaṁ.
This is called grasping.
Idaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, upādānaṁ.

SuttaCentral

There are suttas that seem to say attachment causes birth & death. Its seems clinging causes new birth & new death. How can it be said the whole process of DO has nothing to do with “I”? :thinking:

Seeing the danger in grasping,
Upādāne bhayaṁ disvā,
the origin of birth and death,
jātimaraṇasambhave;
they’re freed by not grasping,
Anupādā vimuccanti,
with the ending of birth and death.
jātimaraṇasaṅkhaye.

SuttaCentral

For example, MN 144 says about ‘upadana’ (‘grasping/attachment’):

When someone lays down this body and takes up another body, I call them ‘blameworthy’.
Yo kho, sāriputta, imañca kāyaṁ nikkhipati aññañca kāyaṁ upādiyati tamahaṁ ‘saupavajjo’ti vadāmi.
But the mendicant Channa did no such thing.
Taṁ channassa bhikkhuno natthi.

SuttaCentral

1 Like

I take it to be a teacher checking his students’ understanding of what has been said.

1 Like

Yes, it seems that identification is central to how suffering comes to be, as evidenced for example by the Bahiya Sutta, “When there is no you there… this is the end of suffering”.
And identification with the body as “me” and “mine” is a major source of suffering, IMO.

1 Like

If we didn’t identify with the body as “me” and “mine”, then aging and death wouldn’t be a source of suffering.

Very good point. I think saying that may cause misunderstanding, and it may not be very accurate.

When I said that, I mean the arising of feeling has nothing to do with “I”, it arises because of contact. The arising of craving has nothing to do with “I”, it arises because of feeling…Those arisings do not need “I” as their conditions.

By ignorance, we identify with them. However, they are conditioned, suffering. Seeing that, how can we take them as “I”? Clinging onto them is “clinging to sufferings.” Therefore, it is not wise to worry about “Was I in the past?”, “Will I be in the future”… By identifying with the DO process, that DO becomes the “I”, and that DO will take it to sufferings.

What we called “I” is just our identification to “form, feeling, perception, volitional formations, consciousness.”

I think saying that “DO has nothing to do with I” may not be very accurate. Its operation does not need that “I”, just like when there is enough heat, water will boil. However, if we take that boing water as “I” then “I am boiling” and we will suffer. So, it is not wise to identify with them. That could be better saying.

I admit that it is not very easy to clearly explain DO especially for a non English speaking person like me. Moreover, I am still learning and there will be many things that I do not see, or I may misunderstand them.

2 Likes

I prefer to be a student since I can learn more and easily correct my mistakes. Being a teacher is troublesome. It is hard for a teacher to learn since it is not very easy to admit mistakes when one is a teacher.

…but suppose you would not identify at all with body and mind as a child, for example. Would that really lead to less suffering in this life or more?

I can remember not having a strong sense of “me” and “mine” as a child, and things were much
simpler. I can also recall social pressure to develop an identity as I was growing up.
What I’m less clear about is the extent to which identification is the result of evolutionary drives, for example the self-centredness implied by “survival instinct”.

Yes, i recognise that.

I think we are born as extreme helpless beings. Animals can walk sometimes very quickly and can take care of themselves while they look for mothermilk. Even that we cannot. Our survival totally depends on the care of others. Totally helpless we are born, and also for a long time.

If we do not cry, scream, get attention, we die. I think it is all instinct. I have even heard that when a baby does not get love and affection, it dies of stress. We do not need only physical food. This is also true for other social animals.
It is like we need the constant re-assurance that others know we exist and see, hear us. That is not that strange seeing our total helpless situation.