6⃣ Päèidesanïya
7⃣ Sekhiya
8⃣ Adhikaraêa-samatha

Then, the second (I don’t know the name) are:
1⃣. Thullacaya
2⃣. dukkaèa
3⃣. dubbhäsitä
4. Päcittiya

How to correlate the group of pätimokkha with the second group?
Should the Päräjika must be thullaccaya?
Then Sanghadisesa will be between Thullaccaya or dukkaèa depends on the case or situation?
What’s the different of Päcittiya at the Sanghadisesa with the Päcittiya in the second group?
What is the position of Thullaccaya, dukkaèa dubbhäsitä Päcittiya in Vinaya? What are their consequences?

Thanks before.
Mettacitena
Stevenson

1 Like

Hi Stevenson,

Just a couple of quick points: if you want me to notice, use my handle @sujato. I don’t click on everything!

Also, please try to use the proper Pali diacriticals: several of the terms in your list are not displaying correctly. If that’s a problem, just use the plain letters.

The first list is, as you say, the classes of rules in the Patimokkha.

The second group is not really a group; they are various offences mentioned, but they are not organized. Pācittiya is a mistake there, it belongs in the first group.

Generally speaking, thullaccaya offenses are subsidiary offences for someone who has completed most, but not all, of the factors of a pārājika or saṅghādisesa. However some thullaccaya rules are also independent, not connected to pārājika or saṅghādisesa.

Similarly, dukkaṭa offenses are for partial offenses under pācittiya, but also for incomplete commission of a thullaccaya. And there are many independent dukkaṭas as well.

Dubbhāsita applies only to one kind of offence of wrong speech.

Where they are mentioned in order, presumably of severity, pārājika or saṅghādisesa are obviously most severe, then we find thullaccayaṃ, pācittiyaṃ, pāṭidesanīyaṃ, dukkaṭaṃ, dubbhāsitaṃ (Pvr 13).

Sekhiya is a slightly odd category, as breaking one is not in itself an offence. It just says they should be done. However it is usually interpreted that if you deliberately break a sekhiya out of disrespect, it is a dukkaṭa.

Adhikaraṇasamatha is another odd category, in that it is a set of procedures to be followed, rather than rules to be kept. Despite the fact that it appears at the end, it embodies many of the most important principles of the Vinaya.

Apart from pārājika, which entails expulsion, and saṅghādisesa, which entails suspension, all these offences may be cleared with a simple confession.

4 Likes

Noted Ajahn @sujato
Thx for a wonderful explanation.
Another question, is Bhikkhu Vibhanga in Vinaya Pitaka is categorised as Early Buddhist Text?

Anumodana :pray:

Yes, we consider it as such. However, much of the material in the explanations is probably somewhat later than the suttas.

3 Likes

Namaste Ajahn @sujato :pray:

As far as Ajahn @sujato consideration and understanding, do the explanations and stories in Bhikkhu Vibhanga, Vinaya still relevant with the taught of EBT suttas?

Anumodana
Thanks before
Stevenson :pray: