Questions about sutavā

Suta1: in special sense “received through inspiration or revelation”; learned; taught

Suta1=> Past Active Participle. sutavā (?)

Evaṃ passaṃ, bhikkhave, sutavā ariyasāvako cakkhusmimpi nibbindati,

appears to be a form of sutavant

its grammatical explanation i unfortunately couldn’t figure out

Translation: “Seeing thus, Bhikkhus, the learned (instructed) noble disciple is disenchanted in regard to the eye.” I think the ‘ā’ of 'sutavā is the masculine singular ending for sutavant and since it’s an adjective qualifying ‘ariyasāvako’ which is a masculine singular noun, it must agree with it. I’m just learning Pali so someone more knowlegeabel please correct me if this is wrong.

Thank you reply. LXNDR

“Pali Verb Conjugation Table” is there no information.

Are there any other reference or internet link that you can tell me?

Thank you reply. Linda
And I also studied Pali.
“Pali Verb Conjugation Table” is there no information.

Are there any other reference or internet link that you can tell me?

Linda I expect two things.
But this is not an accurate prediction.

The absolutive and Past Active Participle.

@alafhr
I’m sorry I don’t have an on-line reference. The Pali book I use is Introduction to Pali by AK Warder. I just looked this up (p. 153) and he does give ‘ā’ as is a nominative masculine ending for nouns/adjectives in ‘ant’. For example, the noun ‘bhagavant’ is bhagavā.

You are correct that the past participle would be suta and the absolutive would be sutvā (of the verb suṇāti). So sutavant is like the past participle with the ‘vant’ ending, which makes it into something like ‘one who has heard’ or ‘one who has been instructed’.

Perhaps someone with more experience with Pali can point out if this is incorrect.

2 Likes