Quote tags - how do they work or not work?

In this topic here I used quote tags two times to quote some text passages.

In the first instance, the quote tag worked. In the second, it didn’t. I don’t know why. I did the same in both cases. I wrote [quote] in front and [/quote] in the end.

(Here it, obviously, also does not work as it stands (for demonstration purposes). But it would, if I inserted some line breaks in the right places. [I have not totally understood yet where the line breaks belong and why. The behaviour seems to be a bit inconsistent: In the case of the present post here, it seems I would need a line break before the closing quote tag. But in the first quote in the linked post I did not need that, for example. And the second quote in the linked post won’t work, no matter what I try.])

2 Likes

There is a quote functionality on both suttacentral.net and on the discourse forum.

With regards to suttacentral.net, it should be possible to go over a certain text, highlight it and then a small pop-up appears on which you can click to copy the URL of the highlighted text. You can then add that here in the forum or in an email or anywhere else. Please note however that it is possible that there are some errors on the website. The website is completely being revamped and we no longer do maintenance on the “old” site.

The forum is a standard package called Discourse. You should be able to select text from another post and a popup called “Quote” appears above. Clicking that will create a quote in a new or existing reply/post like I’ve done here:

The markup for this is:

[quote="Epajarjestys, post:1, topic:7116"]
In the first instance, the quote tag worked. In the second, it didn’t. I don’t know why. I did the same in both cases. I wrote [quote] in front and [/quote] in the end.
[/quote]

However, if you just want a blockquote, you can either use the blockquote button at the top of the message or add a > before the sentence. This forum uses markdown:

Like this is a blockquote and this is the markup for that same blockquote:
> Like this is a blockquote and this is the markup for that same blockquote:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the explanations, Ayye.

It seems the quote tag has some quirks, also when using the quote popup functionality to quote from other posts in the discussion sometimes. (For some text selections, occasionally, a quote cannot be inserted, it seems.) But it is a bit hard to pinpoint what exactly causes it to fail.

Anyway, awaiting the website overhaul and all, this is probably not worth digging into, and if the issue is in the discourse software, then that is probably the better place to do so.

Thanks for your kind help.

_/\_

1 Like

Put the quote tags on separate lines above and below the quoted text. If /quote is in the last line of the text, it won’t work, in my experience.

2 Likes

There have indeed be several people who have noticed it too. But it is indeed a discourse issue: