Reading up on Myths and Mythology

I’ve been fascinated by Bhante @sujato’s posts on myths and mythology, and I’m curious–where would be a good place to start learning about that topic (which imagine is a pretty large undertaking).

3 Likes

If you’re interested in the Indo-European dragon-slaying myth (and Indo-European poetics), then Calvert Watkins’ How To Kill A Dragon: Aspects of Indo-European Poetics (Oxford University Press, 1995) offers a comprehensive, scholarly survey.

2 Likes

Perhaps this graduate program information might be interesting M.A./Ph.D. in Mythology

(Just one approach among the very diverse ways in which this subject might be explored.)

Also discovered this:

2 Likes

Well, now there’s this:

I’m giving some thought to teaching a course this year on Buddhism and Mythology. Hmm, let’s see!

For myself, there are a few modern works that stand out, and have greatly influenced me. In no particular order:

Julian Jaynes, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
http://www.julianjaynes.org/bicameralmind.php

Various works by

10 Likes

Would it be online? I would be very interested if it were. Anthropology is one of my roads not taken.

6 Likes

@Sumano

Work by Joseph Campbell is a good place to start.

2 Likes

Very grateful for this post, exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ve heard rumors of a Buddhist Cosmology book coming out and I’d love to have more of those ideas in my actual everyday practice and experience. Thanks!

2 Likes

Indeed it is (parts 1–3 out of 4 part course).

6 Likes

Thank you for posting the link! :smiley:

2 Likes

Did you mean this one by Bhante Punnadhammo?

1 Like

Yes, I was happy when I saw that one was released. Thx

1 Like