Real wealth

Words may be cheap, but thought and mental focus can take some work. :slight_smile: So when the first words and nonverbal behaviors reveal good view and mettaā€¦ imo they count for something truly worthwhile.

Maybe buying cheaper and cheaper this and that migt be an interesting hobby, or a spiritual practice, but in the end, that still would be ā€œall about meā€. Compassuon is imo not measured by words OR actions OR by apparent possessions; it may only be measured DIY wordlessly and (since all but arahants at least have views) may be viewed in others only through the filters conditioned by our experiences or kammaā€¦

Safetyā€¦ everyone wants it, that is a conditioned desire of biology, perhaps. It is a very difficult desire to surrender in my experience, harder than a belief in justice (a concept which imo infects many peopleā€™s understanding of kamma).

I think the obstacle of fears of safety is best countered by a positive approach. Let everyone feel safe, let those who feel smug about whatever mental constructs give them that illusuon, until thry are calm, and ready for the truth: i see no safety for anyone at all; everyone is going to die, almost all at a time when they would rather not. Additionally, all material, social, mentally cobstructed acquisitions are not imo safe.

As I understand it, the whole of the Holy Life is moments of good companionship; the point of the Holy Life is liberation from greed, hate, and delusion. :slight_smile: As if we are having a fire sale for the end of our business, all must go, even smugness, even the containers we had for smugnessā€¦ At the end, even Need has got to go, i think. Rather momentarily exciting, neh?

But while we are here, who are we with? Individually, this particular life is (now) apparently quite poor; no income, no home ownership, no car, no bike, a human body not in excellent condition,ā€¦ fed and housed by charity of a very kind human being,ā€¦ rarely met by anyone, and quite possibly not well seen on those occasionsā€¦ using a brain which is not as good as it once was, and is quite likely to become less ā€œgoodā€ over timeā€¦ perhaps suddenly, when it is inconvenient.

:slight_smile: How are you? There, that is wealth.

?

1 Like

1 Like