Rebirth into the Higher Realms: An Undesirable Waste of Time?

I’m not familiar with that term. What is that?

1 Like

3 rooted people.

Most importantly, with wisdom root. Only people who are 3 rooted (not lesser) can attain to Jhanas and fruition. Wisdom root is obtained via doing good deeds (in a past life) with knowledge of kamma. So for current practitioners, practise as if one has 3 roots, and just in case too, do all good deeds with knowledge of kamma. For better rebirth next life to continue the practise.

2 Likes

Sorry to digress, but where does that term come from? Is it a commentarial thing?

I learnt it from Pa-Auk tradition, I think either commentary or Abhidhamma, haven’t read them fully, so cannot trace.

1 Like

Quickly searching for the term, I see that the Abhidhamma defined cittas as having 0, 1, 2, or 3 wholesome roots. These then create correspondingly rooted karma, and thus 4 kinds of resultant consciousnesses (to which they add the 4 pairs of noble beings to get 12 total kinds of puggala)… if I’m understanding all this :confused: So yes. Seems to be an Abhidhamma idea that the step just below a sotāpanna-maggi is a tihetuka-puggala

2 Likes

Person who is able to attain Nibbana in this lifetime as not everyone can, it depends on birth

Actually, Buddhism is for divine beings more than humans. When a Lord Buddha arose, more than ten to the power of 50(1 followed by fifty zeros) divine beings reached ‘Nirvana’ and became free from infinite suffering. But only a very few humans compared to divine beings.

Champika, Muditha. Buddhism for Science: Decoding Mysteries of Nature and the Universe (p. 85). Kindle Edition.

My jaws dropped. First time encountered this info. Wow. There’s no citation, have to ask the author where that came from.

He sets his mind on this, fixes his mind on this, and develops this state of mind. That aspiration of his, resolved on what is inferior, not developed higher, leads to rebirth there.

https://suttacentral.net/an8.35/en/bodhi?reference=none&highlight=false

craving for being, and craving for non-being. This is called the origin of suffering

Just BE