Rebirth, rebirth, rebirth

Perhaps we could inject some more clarity into the discussion if you would be more specific about what exactly you take causality to consist in. It seems to me that you are operating with an exceptionally stringent notion of causality, one that goes beyond the way that concept in employed in everyday science when it confirms or disconfirms hypotheses about how phenomena are or are not causally related.

I have asked you a particular kind of question in each of my last three posts that, in each case, you have declined to answer. I assume that’s because the answer is somewhat embarrassing to you. I asked whether, when you open your eyes and look at a tree, you truly doubt that the existence of the tree, and the reflection of light off that tree, are causally responsible of the fact that you then have a conscious experience of a tree. I also asked whether you truly doubt that when you move the knobs on your electronic instruments, those physical motions are causally responsible for the fact that your audience members then have conscious mental experiences or various sounds.

You might try answering the questions yes or no.

Perhaps you might then share with us some of your own deep insights into the fundamental nature of conscious phenomena, as they have been gleaned from your meditation practice.

As for myself, meditation seems to tell me a great deal about how certain kinds of conscious experiences appear to give rise to other kinds of conscious experiences, about the patterns in which these experiences tend to fall, and also about the experienced phenomenal structure of events that are amenable to this kind of introspective observation. Above all it gives me insight into the varieties of suffering and the varieties of liberation one can cultivate to bring those kinds of suffering to an end. But it neither does, nor could, tell me anything about the contingent extrinsic relations those experiences might or might not bear to other things in the world, since there is no reason at all to think that the totality of such relationships is introspectively accessible. My conscious mind is but a small corner of a vast universe, and so the most careful observation of my conscious mind should not be expected to tell me much beyond the details of what is located in that small corner.

1 Like