Reflecting on Rebirth: An Understanding That Can Go Beyond Faith and Theory

These few lines make it clear that acceptance of rebirth, even though it seems to go against all conventional modes of thought is of paramount importance. When the entrenched views in our minds that have been accumulated over years and decades are shaken, it is natural to be disconcerted.

But, the purity of the Dhamma is like fresh mountain air in a world of polluted tempests that sway us. The main thing is to remember that holding the wrong end of the snake and become strident defenders of the Teaching, rather than develop internal composure, is just harmful. I have done my share of shrill argumentation and I regret all of that now. Maybe it was just a way to gain self-confidence when the raft was not proceeding smoothly, but it is foolish to think that renunciation is going to be a rosy path.

With rebirth, the menacing tone in suttas like Asivisa Sutta become clear. To me, that sutta is the most disturbing one that I have read so far. It paints a picture that is just extraordinarily bleak. But, I can relate to it deeply simply because nothing has gone right in my life so far. All the misfortunes, quarrels, diseases, loneliness, weariness, ache, vanity and the sheer exhaustion of getting through this world. How futile and pointless all the struggle in life looks like when we lose the innocence of childhood, the wantonness of youth and reach the age where discerning thought becomes a possibility.

Monks, there are these two conditions for the arising of right view. Which two? The voice of another and appropriate attention. These are the two conditions for the arising of right view.

I am grateful to Ven. Brahmali for being a voice that cuts through the doubt and confusion in my mind.

May beings find peace in their lives…

14 Likes