Regarding Udana 2.7

In the footnotes of this sutta , Thanissaro Bhikkhu mentions "Following the reading, piyarūpassāda-gaddhitāse in the Thai, Burmese, and BJT editions. The Sri Lankan edition available from the Journal of Buddhist Ethics has, piyarūpa-sātarūpa-gaddhitā ye: “Those tied down by what seems dear & what seems agreeable”.

My question is as far as I know, the Journal of Buddhist Ethics supplied the BJT edition itself, does anybody know of any other edition or can find this corresponding reading ? Thanks and regards

1 Like

You’re correct, the JBE supplies the BJT text, which is, I believe, the same unproofread text found on Gretil:

http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/2_pali/1_tipit/2_sut/5_khudd/udana_u.htm

Neither place has the reading piyarūpa-sātarūpa-gaddhitā ye.

The MS edition on SuttaCentral confirms the BJT reading as piyarūpassādagathitāse.

The ending is unusual. Here the commentary says that the ending has no meaning:

Gadhitāseti hi gadhitāiccevattho; Seti vā nipātamattaṃ
For gadhitāse means simply gadhitā, as se is a mere particle.

This would rule out any reading ye, which in any case appears unsupported by any text.

I made the following note when translating:

The PTS reading piyarūpāsāta is tempting, and supported by the Udānavarga’s priyarūpasātagrathitā. The commentary reads sukhavedanassādena, which appears to support assāda. But perhaps originally sāta was glossed with sukhavedanā, and assāda was read back into the text by mistake.

It’s also worth noting that Anandajoti cites from the BJT a variant reading in a manuscript, piyarūpāsātagathitāse, which is the same as the PTS.

I take the phrase as a poetically abridged form of piyarūpa-sātarūpa.

Hosts of gods and most human beings are bound
to what seems dear and pleasant

3 Likes