Request for Bhante regarding new Snp 4 translations

(Sorry, I don’t know where this goes; please feel free to adjust the category.)

I am putting in a request to Bhante @sujato :

Bhante, I was in the audience listening to your Snp 4 lectures a few months back. (I requested you to talk on Kalahavivāda.) I really appreciated your comprehensive talks about lexical connotations and contexts. (That comment on yakkho at the end of the Kalahavivāda lecture introduced me not only to the specific Wijesekera lecture you referenced, but that book in general is just so rich!) So, I want to say that I find your contextualizing a cut above what others put out usually: not the hardcore, philological boatload of information K.R. Norman might give (though there’s some of that, too); but you provide something for our ñāṇadassanaṁ (or, maybe the quasi-Buddhist Chinese term, “境界”? I don’t know, I’m at a loss for a proper English word here).

I say all of this to ask if you would be willing to do some video lectures on Snp 4? (Alternatively, I guess you could release the notes to your translation as well.) Even if you did it sans audience and just released it: whatever is most convenient for you. I think you only got to three suttas last time. They were much appreciated, but I know I’m not alone in wanting more.

2 Likes

Right! It’s really one of the most interesting books on Indology. Up there with The Legend and Cult of Upagupta!

Why thanks!

Hmm, let me think about it.

Actually, I’m slated to do a course at Barre next year on the same topic. So perhaps that might be fun!

4 Likes

Well, please, just keep me (us) posted! Thanks.

1 Like