Responsive Layout for AccesstoInsight.org

I’m not sure if this is the proper category or even forum to ask this question, but I thought if there was somewhere on the interwebs that would know, this was it.

In creating follow-up links for a class, I like to give pages that can easily be read on mobile devices. I just realized that the suttas on AccesstoInsight.org (ATI) are not responsive and can’t be read easily on a mobile device. I base this on using the site responsinator.org.

I am wondering if anyone knows of mirrors that use a responsive layout. I know there are various apps for the site, but even if linking into the app was possible, I don’t think that is feasible.

For suttas I cannot find on-line I have been using bitbaloon, and I could download the html from ATI and upload it to bitbaloon. I’m trying to find a simpler solution. Basically I don’t want to have to do any editing or uploading.

Something like a link shortener that would reprocess the page into a responsivelayout would be perfect, but I’m afraid it is just a fantasy.

Any thoughts?

(BTW, three cheers for SC for being responsive, in more ways than one)

Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu recently added a sutta section to dhammatalks.org.

All of Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu’s translations of suttas from the Pali Canon can now be browsed on-line with full cross-referencing here on dhammatalks.org. To navigate there, use the first tab in the above navigation menu, or go directly to Suttas | dhammatalks.org. Ever since accesstoinsight.org was frozen to new content a few years ago, it has been a priority to provide a replacement platform for Ven. Ṭhānissaro’s body of translations that allows for the inclusion of all the revisions and new suttas that have been, and will continue to be, added. The suttas here will be the most comprehensive and up-to-date, and the ebook formats of them will lag only a few weeks behind. Since the Dhamma is for free distribution, many of these translations can be found elsewhere on the internet, including at accesstoinsight.org, but it is highly recommended that you check them against the authoritative versions here at dhammatalks.org.

Beyond that:

• Why not use suttacentral instead?
  • You could fork the site, modify the CSS, and host it yourself (or have someone else do this for you - I will consider it if there is a real need)
1 Like

Wow. That is exactly what I needed. At least for Ajahn T’s translations. I knew this was the right place to ask.[quote=“juliandoucette, post:2, topic:5864”]
Why not use suttacentral instead?
[/quote]
I guess I found one that that redirected me to access to insight, but now I see that a lot of them are in fact on suttacentral.

Thanks!!

Well, I just had to respond to that …

It seems that most of what you need has been answered already. But anyway, there is no doubt other original material on AtI, so the question is still of interest. Sorry I don’t have an answer; responsive design is hard! But anyway, I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Again, I’m new to this forum, so forgive me if I am not responding correctly…

So I did find that for the Ambalatikarahulovada sutta, sutta central first links off site to
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh033_Nyanaponika_Adivce-To-Rahula--Four-Discourses.html

then there are two more English translations also off site:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.061.than.html
http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima2/061-ambalatthika-rahulovada-e1.html

Again, I am totally ignorant of the redesign and even what the scope of SuttaCentral is, so perhaps this issue of off site links has been addressed elsewhere.

Is there a beta version of the redesign?

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking here.

But for the record, our long term plan is to deprecate offsite links. We will host a complete new translation ourselves, keeping existing translations as alternatives.

There is, but it’s too broken right now to be of much use.

Right. What I should have said was, "It was suggested that I just link to suttacentral, but as you see below for this sutta it just takes you off site. Is that an oversight and will that change with the new design. So you answered the question I neglected to ask. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again for all the work.

I don’t know if it fits in with your inquiry, but just in case, ATI is also available as an app, eg.

It is also available on other devices (locatable through a search) but I can’t bring myself to promote them. :wink:

3 Likes