Rethinking parimukha

Hey Venerable :pray:

To provide some context for others: We had a Pāli class where we discussed this term, and we ran out of time to discuss the details. I thought Bhante Sujatoā€™s thoughts could clarify things.

I realize now you are mainly asking as a practitioner, which I can share some of my opinions on as a fellow practitionar, but in light of our Pāli class and this topic, Iā€™ll try to also focus on some more theoretical points.

First of, I can relate to the feeling of being a bit lost when you donā€™t really know what the Buddha is saying. But unfortunately I canā€™t tell you what the Buddha meant, because thatā€™s the question we all have! :slight_smile: I can tell you what I think he may have meant, though.

Other people will also give their opinions of what they think the Buddha meant with parimukha (or with anything, really!), but in the end weā€™ll have to decide for yourself, unless weā€™re happy to just trust somebody else. Or unless weā€™re happy to stay undecided about some minor details, which is why I explained in our class that the practice of Ānāpānassati doesnā€™t hang on this word alone. The actual practices starting with ā€œsatova assassatiā€ are clear enough, to me anyway.

Either way, we all have to be careful in the way we interpret things. Something being helpful doesnā€™t make an interpretation technically accurate, for example. Whatā€™s helpful for one person isnā€™t necessarily helpful for another, so then it becomes a personal interpretation, one that perhaps isnā€™t the Buddhaā€™s.

Thatā€™s why I (like Bhante Sujato) prefer to investigate what the term parimukha means elsewhere, and donā€™t get my personal opinion involved if possible. Now, setting aside commentaries, in the Pāli I think there is only one instance of parimukha outside of the phrase parimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā, and there it means around the mouth (or perhaps around the face?), in context of shaving in the Vinaya. Itā€™s not much to go by, but since itā€™s all we got, it seems to me that this meaning likely also applies to parimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā. It does sort of work with Ānāpānassati as well, if you take the area of focus on the breath (e.g. nose) to be the area ā€œaround the mouthā€.

It also fits the order of things, you sit down, cross your legs, straighten your body, and then you attend to the breath at the nose. If it meant making mindfulness a priority, or some other idiomatic meaning, I donā€™t know why you would only do that after sitting down and so forth, and not before.

A significant problem for this interpretation of ā€œaround the mouthā€, though, is that parimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā is in quite a few places used without being followed by Ānāpānassati, like DN2, AN9.40, MN32, MN107, AN10.99, etc.

Perhaps Ānāpānassati is still implied to be practiced in those texts, though? Because what follows the phrase doesnā€™t necessarily exclude that possibility.

Or perhaps the phrase was inserted by accident? Because elsewhere outside of Ānāpānassati we have a shorter version of the ā€œgone to the wildernessā€ phrase, like SN41.7: ā€œItā€™s when a mendicant has gone to a wilderness, or to the root of a tree, or to an empty hut, and reflects like this: [ā€¦]ā€ Perhaps the reciters in some suttas accidentally added the rest to this, including parimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā, even if the context was not Ānāpānassati. It would be interesting to see what the parallels to such suttas say. If the parimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā is missing there, that answers it for me. Then it means parimukhaį¹ƒ does indeed have to do specifically with Ānāpānassati.

Another option given by some (sub?)commentary is that parimukha means ā€œwhatā€™s in frontā€ in the sense of the meditation object that you have ā€œin frontā€ of you. .

Well, the verb upaį¹­į¹­hāti together with sati essentially mean ā€œto be mindfulā€. So, yes, regardless of what parimukhaį¹ƒ means, satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā tells us that mindfulness is already present. One is already mindful. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t think parimukhaį¹ƒ means that you make it a priority. You would have done that already before ā€œhaving made mindfulness presentā€ (satiį¹ƒ upaį¹­į¹­hapetvā).

I also think Ānāpānassati (or any kind of sitting meditation) requires that we already have a certain amount of awareness. Consider for example MN107:

When they have mindfulness and situational awareness, the Realized One guides them further: ā€˜Come, mendicant, frequent a secluded lodgingā€”a wilderness, the root of a tree, a hill, a ravine, a mountain cave, a charnel ground, a forest, the open air, a heap of straw.ā€™ And they do so. After the meal, they return from almsround, sit down cross-legged, set their body straight, and establish mindfulness in front of them.

Although also here this isnā€™t followed by Ānāpānassati, the idea is the same, that you have some kind of mindfulness already before you start sitting meditation. So also here, you already made mindfulness a priority before you sit down.

Sukha and pÄ«ti are said to arise only at ā€œstepā€ 5 of the practice, so Iā€™d say you donā€™t have to start with them. Itā€™ll help, though, if you can bring them up earlier.

Ānāpānassati is in AN9.3 also said to be useful for abandoning thinking, so you clearly donā€™t have to be super quiet and at ease before doing it.

Well, there is ā€œa noble disciple, relying on letting go, gains immersion, gains unification of mind.ā€ (e.g. SN48.10) Thatā€™s the whole instruction we get in some places! :smiley: And it is followed by the jhānas. Ānāpānassati is one way to get to the jhānas, but not the only one. If itā€™s not working for you, then do something else!

When I taught Ānāpānassati, I made a point to emphasize this part of the sutta:

There are such mendicants in this Saį¹…gha. In this Saį¹…gha there are mendicants who are committed to developing the meditation on love ā€¦ compassion ā€¦ rejoicing ā€¦ equanimity ā€¦ ugliness ā€¦ impermanence. There are such mendicants in this Saį¹…gha. In this Saį¹…gha there are mendicants who are committed to developing the meditation on mindfulness of breathing.

Where does it say that mindfulness of breathing is better or more preferrable or that we should do it? Nowhere. We can do all these things (and more) and theyā€™re just as worthwhile.

Btw, equanimity is also basically a practice of letting things be, in my eyes.

Also, this is straying from the texts a bit, but as long as we understand what the hindrances are and how to overcome them, we donā€™t have to stay rigidly within the practices mentioned in the suttas. We can invent our own. I do ā€œwhateverā€ meditation. I just sit there and say to myself ā€œwhatever!ā€ Whatever happens, itā€™s all fine. It removes lots of desire and restlessness.

Likewise with parimukha. I may not know with certainty what it means, but ā€œwhateverā€, I can still meditate! :smiley:

See SN47.46, SN47.47, AN6.117, AN10.61, remembering that Ānāpānassati encompasses the four satipatthānas (ā€œthe four kinds of mindfulness meditationā€ in V. Sujatoā€™s translations).

I do hope all that helps alleviate some doubts.

And although we got a bit sidetracked with parimukhaį¹ƒ, I also hope you understood the basic grammar we talked about :wink:

4 Likes

Hello Bhante :slight_smile:

This is appreciated Bhante! Yes, Iā€™m asking as a practitioner, but also as one with an interest in understanding what the texts say. I canā€™t call myself a translator because I donā€™t have the depth or breadth of knowledge to be able to have a meaningful discussion based purely on textual/translation issues. However, Iā€™m grateful to anyone who does have this knowledge and also applies this in practise and is happy to share. i.eā€¦a lot of the good folks here.

Yes, of course. But I really appreciate learning from the discussions others have around these things. Itā€™s helpful for someone like myself to form practical, useful opinions.

Yes, thatā€™s true. But I think these seemingly unimportant preliminary steps are important to get oneā€™s head around. Especially, if you are a person not naturally gifted with ā€˜good mindfulness kammaā€™!

Yes, I appreciate this approach very much!

Yet, even this wouldnā€™t really be hard evidence. But it would be very interesting to knowā€¦

Oh, thatā€™s where ā€˜in the frontā€™ comes from. I like knowing this stuff.

I donā€™t want to offend anyone, but it really does matter to me on a personal level, to know if something is more likely to have been said by the Buddha or not. The main reason is that I canā€™t help having a lot of faith arising when I know itā€™s more likely to be from him. Itā€™s much more activating and I canā€™t help taking it more seriously and spending more time investigating etc. Weā€™re all a little different. I know plenty of very faithful Buddhists who are happy to open up to other sources. I think thatā€™s wonderful but I just donā€™t find it as inspiring and I just canā€™t help that.

Having said this, I do think that ā€˜in frontā€™ is a very sensible way of looking at things.

Respectfully (and Iā€™m very happy to be corrected), Iā€™m thinking of earlier in the training - the gladness that comes from freedom from remorse. Also thereā€™s a connection to saddha as an emotional quality that is energising - because once you get to even this point, itā€™s already pretty inspiring and even this kind of energy causes a little more joy to come up.

Yes. I used to think I had to be super quiet - I think of myself as a failed perfectionist.

:slight_smile: Yes, ok :slight_smile:

Butā€¦apparentlyā€¦according to a very highly respected teacher whom you see everyday and frequents D&D but I wonā€™t tag in on account of he is probably very busyā€¦says itā€™s the most frequently mentioned form of meditation. I should say thatā€™s my memory of what Iā€™ve heard him say often - donā€™t want to misrepresent anyone.

As for my opinion on all this, well, I think a lot of other stuff has to happen before one can feel one is happy to just breath.

And yes, of course, there are other roads into proper letting go. Iā€™ve found though, that if one can just be there as oneā€™s body is breathing, thereā€™s a particular kind of stability and pleasantness - which Iā€™ve not found in the (few) other forms of meditation Iā€™ve tried.

I do enjoy a good side track from time to time and yes, I hope Iā€™ve understood the basic grammar too Bhante!! Thank you so much for all the work youā€™ve put into the Pali Classes. We are all super grateful.

And thank you so much for all the time and effort youā€™ve taken here to answer me. Itā€™s greatly appreciated!!

Well, actually I had already come to some sense of peace around how I approach all this. But I felt these ends, loose and waving about, and just feel very grateful for the extra input and information. I donā€™t mind not having any concrete answers. Generally I feel a bit suspicious of anything that feels too conclusive, itā€™s feels more natural to have a degree of uncertainty - though perhaps not about everything! But being a tiny minnow in all this, and not having anywhere near enough background knowledge, any extra input is actually, genuinely helpful.

Thanks Bhante, see you in class!

Venerable, :slightly_smiling_face:

This meaning ā€˜in frontā€™ of mukha isnā€™t from the commentaries, just the interpretation of parimukkha being the meditation object is. Mukha has different meanings in itself. Itā€™s just like the mouth (or face) is in the front of the head, and the ā€œmouth of a caveā€ is the front of a cave. Also when we say we are ā€œfacing (or mukha-ing) somethingā€, itā€™s like itā€™s in front of us. Mukha has lots of nuanced meanings, which is partly why parimukha is so hard to pin down.

Ok we were just talking past one another a bit then, I was talking about the pīti, you were talking about some earlier gladness. Maybe read the suttas I linked at the end of my post. They all state that before doing satipatthana (including Ānāpānassati) properly, you need sense restraint and good conduct. :slight_smile:

That may be right, although the most frequently mentioned is probably just the jhānas. And you can attain these without Ānāpānassati.

Also frequently mentioned is the four satipatthanas, and Ānāpānassati is just one way to fulfill these. The Satipatthana Suttas include many other things as well (and Ānāpānassati isnā€™t even included in some parallel suttas).

And the four brahmaviharas for example arenā€™t exactly rare in the suttas either.

Ānāpānassati is not the only form of meditation mentioned, is what Iā€™m saying! :slightly_smiling_face: Sometimes when it doesnā€™t work I just do something else, instead of, as you say, bang my head against a wall trying to get it to work.

1 Like

Ohā€¦this is extremely helpful. Thanks!! I feel I have a better sense of whatā€™s going on.

I was thinking about reading some more threads on the topic, but I really donā€™t have the time. Monastic life is way busier (and luckily also more fun) than I thought itā€™d be!! So, really, thank you so very much!!!

To clarify, in the commentaries parimukkha is equated with the breath?

Thanks Bhante, I had a look. I have a fairly good sense of the general ideas here. And Iā€™m very familiar with AN 10.61 because Ajahn Brahmali is frequently referencing it! And I have to acknowledge (it feels wrong not to) that if it wasnā€™t for listening (a little obsessively) to recordings of Ajahn Brahmali teaching from the suttas, I really wouldnā€™t even know to have these conversations or have the faintest idea about the need for sense restraint and good conduct in the way that I believe they need to be approached for them to be even a little effective. No disrespect intended to the Dhamma, but I found these recordings highly entertaining!! Bhante, you were probably there in the ā€˜live audienceā€™ for a lot of them!

Really?! But do those collections mention Ānāpānassati elsewhere?

Yes, but according to Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s Satipatthana Workshops - a fair amount of this isnā€™t EBT. But thatā€™s a digression that I wonā€™t go into, because weā€™re probably just going to :turtle: agree :butterfly: a lot.

Yes, :slight_smile: ok. But you know, after a few decades of head banging I finally, with the help of some fairly awesome teachers whom you know quite well, realised the reason why my head was hurting! I generally like breathe meditation now. Hence all the interest here!! Itā€™s like a new toy and I want to know even these little outer details about it.

But yes, itā€™s helpful to have other options. But, thinking of the suttas youā€™ve mentioned, I think the most helpful thing to do if the meditation is not working is to do more good stuff, in a restrained manner! By restrained, of course, you would know, I donā€™t mean to live in a straight jacket. But just, more physical things, and service out of love for othersā€¦that sort of thingā€¦and also just trying to understand what the hindrances are and how the Dhamma might help me to look at them in a more helpful way. That way I am, in line with the suttas mentioned and the general sense here within our discussion that sati ought to be established before hand, putting in the causes for the meditation to work in the future.

I think sometimes this could include other forms of meditation. Like metta or just letting things be (I really like the latter). Or just being in solitude, not necessarily with oneā€™s eyes closed - maybe just in the forest, or staring at the sky or something.

Anyway, I feel Iā€™ve taken things off on a more practise oriented tangent and gone way off topicā€¦so Iā€™d best stop there. :slight_smile:

Anyway, once again, Iā€™m very grateful. I think youā€™re teaching with Ajahn Brahmali tomorrow - I might see you there!

Mega gratitude for your patience and your time, :pray:t5:

:pray: Venerable,

No, just with the object of meditation in general, whatever that is. In that way it also works with those suttas where ā€œparimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ ā€¦ā€ is included without Ānāpānassati. I canā€™t remember what it said exactly, or which (sub)commentary it was. Somebody once pointed it out, I believe in one of those threads you were mentioning. If I ever come across it again, Iā€™ll let you know.

Of course.

And one of the things that people like Bhante Sujato conclude isnā€™t an early part of the Satipatthāna Suttas is exactly Ānāpānassati.

I mean, Iā€™m not trying to devalue Ānāpānassati in any way (I love it myself) or say any teacher is wrong! Iā€™m just putting it into a different perspective. And if Ānāpānassati is working, then, we shouldnā€™t stop doing it, I think! :smiley:

Yeah, I think so too, and thatā€™s what I was trying to say. Also, letting go often naturally results in Ānāpānassati for me. Then the breath comes to me instead of me going after the breath.

Cool! Iā€™d be honored if youā€™d be there. Weā€™ll be discussing AN11.2 too, similar ideas as AN10.61 you mentioned.

1 Like

I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make. The problem with the Satipaį¹­į¹­hāna Sutta is that it includes ānāpānasati only for body contemplation. Since certain schools of meditation base themselves almost exclusively on the Satipaį¹­į¹­hāna Sutta, they conclude, wrongly, the ānāpānasati only concerns body contemplation. In other words, once you move on to contemplation of feeling, etc., this has nothing to do with the breath. It is precisely because mindfulness of breathing fulfills all four satipaį¹­į¹­hānas - as we can see from the Ānāpānasati Sutta (MN118) - that the presentation in the Satipaį¹­į¹­hāna Sutta can be misleading. To me it makes good sense that this is a late development.

In fact, I would say that mindfulness of breathing is the standard way of practicing satipaį¹­į¹­hāna. It is the only meditation object that is described in the suttas as fulfilling satipaį¹­į¹­hāna.

3 Likes

Wait, I think thereā€™s an important nuance here thatā€™s maybe getting lost (or at least bears repeating) and thatā€™s that the Ānāpānasati instructions in the Satipaį¹­į¹­hāna Sutta only include the first steps of the full instructions found in the Ānāpānasati Sutta. It may well be that the first steps of Ānāpānasati focus on the body, and that one must develop all 16 stages of Ānāpānasati (as covered in MN 118) in order for it to cover all four Satipaį¹­į¹­hānā, no? :pray:

I think this is important to keep in mind, as Ānāpānasati is often abbreviated these days, as Venerable Analayo discussed in his paper, ā€œHow the Steps of Mindfulness of Breathing Decreased from Sixteen to Twoā€

7 Likes

:pray:

Eh, I donā€™t know which ā€œpointā€ you are referring to, Ajahn? In case it was a point in the Satipaį¹­į¹­hāna workshop that Ven. Vimutti mentioned, remember I wasnā€™t there (because of Covid travel restrictions). :slight_smile:

With ā€œpeople like Bhante Sujato concludeā€, I was referring to text-historical studies on the Satipaį¹­į¹­hāna Suttas by Bhante Sujato, Venerable Ānalayo and others. They conclude it is a later part: thatā€™s all I tried to say with that sentence. I donā€™t disagree with anything youā€™re saying here, and probably also not in the ā€œpointā€ youā€™re referring to, whatever it was. :smiley:

I would disagree, however, if anybody would say that Ānāpānassati was the only way to fulfill the Satipaį¹­į¹­hānas, or the only way to attain jhānas. Thereā€™s other ways, thatā€™s the point I was trying to make. I did so because when Ven. Vimutti talked about banging against a wall, I thought she meant that when Ānāpānassati just wasnā€™t working (for her or in general) that we somehow should make it work.

Anyway, Iā€™m not sure how we even got here. :smiley: I think we all agree, lol.

Maybe we should discuss parimukhaį¹ƒ satiį¹ƒ upatį¹­hapetvā again. What do you think it means? I do agree with your earlier statements here that parimukhaį¹ƒ in context of shaving is unlikely to refer to the chest, and that it most likely refers to the circle beard around the mouth.

3 Likes

LOL, indeed! :grinning:

3 Likes

Ohā€¦I seeā€¦this form of communication really has its drawbacks!

Ven Sunyo, I have to really thank you for making such a kind hearted effort to help me out. To clarify, I didnā€™t mean that anyone should try and force their way through - I meant there is much to be understood and other things like sila to be cultivated and yes, I agree with the following too:

This is generally what happens for me also. But what Iā€™ve learned the long and slightly stupid way (just talking purely about myself) is that this doesnā€™t happen properly if you ignore the previous aspects of the gradual training.

Iā€™m truly grateful for your time andā€¦

ā€¦Bhante, Iā€™m the one that is honoured and privileged and grateful to be there listening to you both! Rightā€¦better get goingā€¦

:pray:t5: :pray:t5: :pray:t5:

3 Likes

Hello again, venerable! I wanted to leave my way of reading parimukha here in response to some of the concerns you raised, because I believe they are good starting points for presenting a different opinion in case it is of use to people here.

While I think this is a good and useful principle, I think we also need to keep in mind the fact that this is in the context of meditation and contemplative practice. Vitakka has an extremely strong association with discursive thinking in the suttas, and yet it is used in the jhāna formulas with a different meaning (IMO, and yours IIRC). Of course, jhāna is much more profound than the beginning of a meditation period, and language will be more fluid there. But either way, I think there is reason for saying that meditative and contemplative language may often be used in slightly different ways than standard, every-day things like shaving.

So how can the phrase be meaningful in a different way in this contemplative context?

I think the phrase parimukhaį¹ is meaningful because it precisely describes the difference between everyday satisampajaƱƱa and meditative sati which brings one into deeper states of samādhi.

When one is mindfully chopping wood, carrying water, eating, begging for alms, etc., one has not set aside all other activities and brought solely the practice of satipaį¹­į¹­hāna (sati-upaį¹­į¹­hāna) to the fore. Even here in English I can use a nearly identical phrase (ā€˜to the foreā€™) to clearly present the idea that one is prioritizing and focusing the bulk of their attention on the sati, rather than bringing sati-sampajaƱƱa into other activities (sati then is at the back of the mind). The more I draw out this image, even in English, in comparison with the meditative experiences, the more I feel how powerful the image of drawing something to the ā€œfaceā€ or ā€œfrontā€ from the fore/back of the mind is for describing the establishing of mindfulness in sitting meditation for last stages of entry into samādhi.

This also marks the beginning of the process of jhāna. Once one sits down, already endowed with sense restraint, a sense of mindfulness, etc., they have to begin letting go of all the other sense stimulation that has been on the fore of their mind and direct all attention to the seclusion and withdrawal from this world/the hindrances. So parimukhaį¹ is communicating a crucial switch ā€” the same reason one must sit down (usually) to enter the jhānas ā€” that is, the withdrawal of the mind from other activities and the absorbing / immersion of the mind into the meditation, which is done via the process of the cattāro satipaį¹­į¹­hānā.

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, and the Buddha meant to focus on your nose. But even still, that would be saying something: focus on your nose above all else, as the forefront of your attention, as opposed to focusing on your nose while standing, walking, eating, etc. So either way I feel that this sense derived from parimukhaį¹ is essential to the practice of mindfulness/jhāna ā€” something truly worth saying, memorizing, and transmitting through thousands of years.

Much mettā! :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you. Love your very well-articulated explanation of the term. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a professional translator, and sometimes I turn down some assignments (including some Buddhist articles and books) because I canā€™t understand the ā€˜real, deepā€™ meaning of whatā€™s written (when I canā€™t ask the writer of the text or when the writer is not available to explain the whole thing to me, or when my brain cells are not advanced enough to understand the concept).

I wouldnā€™t want to ā€˜just translate the words that are thereā€™.

2 Likes

Possible.

One problem I have with this interpretation, though, is that it seems to use the verb upaį¹­į¹­hāpetvā in a non-standard way in relation to sati. Elsewhere in the Nikayas the combination of ā€˜establishā€™ and ā€˜mindfulnessā€™ always indicates that mindfulness is present and fully active; thatā€™s what it means to ā€œestablish mindfulnessā€. Sometimes this is combined with some object or contemplation that mindfulness is established on. It would be unique to take the verb ā€˜establishā€™ to describe that one ā€œestablishedā€ mindfulness as a priority. This would be a totally different idea from how these words relate to each other elsewhere.

In other words, in this interpretation, semantically you donā€™t establish the mindfulness but you establish the priority, as it were. And that is different from other contexts.

To me, the phrase satim upaį¹­į¹­hāpetvā indicates that mindfulness is already strongly present. It doesnā€™t make sense, pragmatically or otherwise, to then still have to make it a priority. It is in that light that I think we have to make sense of parimukha somehow.

1 Like

Hi Ven :slight_smile: :wave:
Well in this reading ā€˜parimukhaā€™ is more of a semi-redundant word that simply emphasizes the main verb. So itā€™s not trying to add something new to the meaning, just re-enforcing the idea with a sort of synonym. I suppose ā€˜parimukhamā€™ is an adverbial in the accusative here right? It also begs the question to say itā€™s unprecedented. Because if parimukha does mean this, even hypothetically, then that would be a common precedent. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m understanding the difference youā€™re pointing to though.

To me, the ā€˜priorityā€™ or ā€˜parimukhaā€™ reading is like an instruction to ā€œcocoonā€ the breath with awareness and let other things fall away. Like the mindful attending is the only task in front of you so to speak. And the ā€˜satiā€™ that you establish/set up is the sati youā€™ve been deepening through the gradual training, but at this point we are supposed to be inclining it towards mental unification and pointing it at the mind, like cleansing the mind of the hindrances.

If this seems implausible to you for reasons I didnā€™t answer Iā€™d be curious to hear and learn. This just makes sense to me and I am not seeing problems with it. But Iā€™m not sure!

3 Likes

Hello Venerable,

I donā€™t think anybody can be sure about the meaning of parimukha.

Sorry for not being able to explain the difference I perceive. I should compare some passages directly to make the point. Maybe Iā€™ll do so later. Itā€™s a bit like ā€œhaveā€ functions very differently in ā€œI have mindfulnessā€ and "I have mindfulness as a priority.

For now, as to the grammar: Depending on who you ask :rofl:, adverbs donā€™t have cases. See for example Digital Pali Dictiory, which glosses it as ā€œindeclineableā€, meaning it has no case. It does have an accusative form but it is not ā€œin the accusativeā€ I would say. A bit of a technicality.

Are we limited solely to scrutinizing the texts? Maybe its time to experiment with possible interpretations by meditating using each candidate in the context of the instructions to see which takes you to the expected result.

And continuing with lack of sureness, I note one usage that doesnā€™t seem to have been noted in this thread yet. Iti 85:2.2 and Ud 7.8:1.3 have the phrase:

ajjhattaį¹ parimukhaį¹ sÅ«paį¹­į¹­hitāya
Having well established (mindfulness) internally parimukha.

Here my current rendering ā€œin frontā€ doesnā€™t work too well, ā€œinternally in frontā€.

Perhaps this phrase is meant as reinforcement, suggesting that parimukha is similar in meaning to ajjhatta.

2 Likes

If we render ajjhattaį¹ as ā€œregarding oneselfā€, it might be possible to retain ā€œin frontā€.

2 Likes

Sure, it means ā€œwith respect to oneā€™s own person/bodyā€. Still, though, it makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe something like, ā€œat the fore,ā€ or, ā€œbefore oneself,ā€ are similar idioms. They refer to a direction or space in the front, but are also about presence.