Retreat recommendations in southern USA?

Thank you for these two suggestions. This directory may be of use:

1 Like

I think he would have frowned on a ten day silent retreat of the type I feel morally obligated to warn people about.

3 Likes

What type of retreat would he frown on ?

1 Like

Wanderers who follow other paths advocate this kind of seclusion: They wear robes of hemp, … human hair, horse hair, or owls’ wings… They eat herbs, millet, … scum from boiling rice, sesame flour, grass, or cow dung. They survive on forest roots or fallen fruit.

• AN 3.93
4 Likes

If it’s ok, I am also curious about why you would like to do retreat (as opposed to locking yourself in a room and following a meditation schedule).

Is it about…

…being in a particular place in a particular environment?
…having access to a particular style of teaching or a particular group?
…the schedule?
…the whole package?

Because if you just want to meditate and have some time and at least a few $$$ you could just rent a place or camp somewhere with a lower dogma content.

4 Likes

A friend attended a Goenka retreat here in Ontario Canada. When she wanted to attend again, they asked her if she had been talking with monks from a different tradition. Of course she answered honestly yes, and was not allowed to attend.

4 Likes

I do that these days and I think it’s excellent advices for some folks. But when I was beginning meditation, I found the support of the retreat structure and the input from the teachers invaluable.

That was when there was no internet so finding appropriate input was harder, but there’s still something about the energy raised by a group of strong meditators sitting together that is valuable to experience.

8 Likes

My first retreat was also in this Goenka tradition, and I did quite few subsequent ones. Like @Alex70 , I’ve moved on to the Sangha and now rely mostly on Ajahn Cha and his students and students of his students:-)

That said, @sovatthika in the US, I’m not aware of any better first time retreats, IMO. I can also recommend Shaila Catherine’s retreats – I’ve been to two and found them very helpful. However, those retreats are not free like Goenka’s if cost is a big factor for you. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

In southern USA, Bhavana Society in West Virginia, led by Bhante Gunaratana. Also Paññāsīha Lion of Wisdom Meditation Center in Maryland, founded by Bhante Dhammasiri and currently led by Bhante Yogavacara Rahula. Also Forest Dhamma Monastery in Virginia, led by Ajahn Dick Silaratano. These are some reliable places led by Theravada monks. I think all offer retreats based on dana. Wishing your success, Ayya Sobhana Bhikkhuni

6 Likes

So you shall have problems. Seems that you are not inline with their concept.

My suggestion ‘Do not add more sufferings, we are already live in sufferings’

Good luck.

2 Likes

there is one text in which the buddha explicitly blames the monks because they practiced strict silence during their retreat (it precludes skillful speech)

1 Like

venerable ayya: i don’t get the seclusion and quiet i long for where i live. i greatly desire that. being around like-minded people would be a plus, but the household life is smothering me. i’m not really looking for meditation instructions or even dhamma teaching (tho like a thief i listen for dhamma when people speak)

renting a place doesn’t sound like a bad idea
i have emailed buddhist insights and bhavana society wv and discovered they have residency. i think i could tolerate some group activities
they’re on winter retreat now but i am strongly thinking about going to either of these places in spring, or even out of the country if i discover some opportunity (i am not rich but i am better off than i have been in the past)

2 Likes

late Katukurunde nanananda thero is by far one of the most erudite Monks perhaps in the last 75 years. The sad truth about meditation in USA is that now it is another huge business where people seek to make money. These people are driven by enormous greed for money.

2 Likes

The Goenka tradition (which they refer to as Vipassana) you first mentioned is the best I’ve seen at providing seclusion. I’ve attended retreats at Bhavana Society, and a couple of the retreat centers, too. None have provided the structure and seclusion the Goenka tradition provides. That’s the one thing I really miss about it. That said, it is a challenging curriculum. with metta:-)

4 Likes

I was not familiar with this teacher. I looked him up and I found a helpful website that contains English versions of some of his texts:
https://seeingthroughthenet.net/books/

His 33 talks on Nibbana are available here in HTML form.

4 Likes

My very first retreat ever (2000) was with this group. They were located in FL at that time and now also have a Vipassana camp in Jesup, GA. I had a wonderful, intense experience that set me on a path that has only grown deeper and more meaningful with time. The experience helped me tremendously with learning to focus and to overcome distraction and doubt. Yes, they are strict but it was perfect for me at that time. I followed all instructions and held my comments to simply experience what was being offered. I went back every year for the next 3 years. Now, Southern Dharma is my choice for mediation retreats near my home of Charlotte NC. You said south, but I have to mention Barre Center for Buddhist studies and their other two campuses - the Forest Refuge and the Retreat Center. Most excellent. I hope your retreat bears sweet fruit and insights.

3 Likes

Please quote it what I read is Buddha likes seclusion and silence including 2nd jhana mind silence and he recommended it

This is what I don’t like about them, they think only they are right others are wrong I love goenka but I don’t like this approach, if you attend other course you would be seen as impure by them thus not allowed to enter their course again, this smells cultish to me

But I still recommend their course you can’t get total silence experience in other place if I am not mistaken

Actually what Buddha means by seclusion is seclusion from craving and this exist in goenka tradition too, both greed and aversion are to be avoided and noted

1 Like

since you have your own way why not do it on your own … anyway mindfulness is just a way to maintain a continuous stream of awareness …

1 Like